PDA

View Full Version : After-school care...would appreciate some advice

retha
20-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone
I have just taken on my first ever after-school children.
Both children are currently 4, turning 5 next year and starting Reception this Sept.

First, just to make sure I have my facts right - do they count as 'school-age' children even though they are still aged 4 currently? So they will not influence my 'early years' numbers?

Also, do I need to do any EYFS for them?

What other documentation would you say is important to share with parents - I have normal policies & permissions and letter to school to work in partnership.

Thank you so much for all your advice, much appreciated!
I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
Retha

mrsoliver
20-08-2010, 08:42 AM
They still fall within the EYFS age group, so you will need to link up with their teachers and do all the EYFS stuff with them.

They count as 5s for ratio purposes before and afetr a normal school day - so not until they go full time, and not during school holidays.

Hope this clarifies things.

My first ever contract was a Recpetion after schoolie. We played a lot of Guess Who! (His choice)

retha
20-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Just to clarify...

My reg cert says I can care for 2 in early years group, so if my Reception children still falls under this it means I can't get another early years child in that will be with me 9-5 because the school children will be there from 3pm?

Certificate also states when caring for 4 or 5yr olds in full-time education, may increase number in early years group by number of children in full-time education...
What does full-time education mean - Reception or only from Year 1?

And what do I do EYFS wise with a child that only attends 1 hour after school 2 days per week when all he probably wants to do after a day at school is have a snack, free play or watch TV?

Lots of confused questions :( ...sorry.

sillysausage
20-08-2010, 12:43 PM
They count as 5s for ratio purposes before and afetr a normal school day - so not until they go full time, and not during school holidays.

Sorry to correct you but once a child is attending school full-time they can be classed as over 5's during the holidays too.

The awkward time is when schools have staggered/part-time intakes in September. I have 2 children starting reception, but until 27th Sept they are part-time and so I can't take any new ones on until then. Thankfully my new starter baby's mum has been able to extend her maternity leave by a few weeks.

As far as EYFS is concerned most of reception age observations will be done during school time. Before and after the school day you need to concentrate on their needs....which might well be quiet, restful activities, lots of free choice. So don't feel that you've got to continue doing as much for their learning journals as you would a preschooler.

mrsoliver
20-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry to correct you but once a child is attending school full-time they can be classed as over 5's during the holidays too.

Is that definitely correct? EYFS isn't explicit about holidays.

moljak
21-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I would say it is correct as I rang ofsted to confirm this a couple of weeks ago.