PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed to earn extra money whilst I wait for spaces to be filled.....

tiger79
20-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I desperately want to start minding at the end of September when my wife returns to work after maternity leave, but am struggling to get a pre-schooler full or part time! We are trying to think of things that I can earn extra money doing whilst still being at home with our baby.

This is what we've come up with so far:-

My wife increasing her hours at work - request declined this morning :-(
My mum having our baby one day a week so I can go out on the agency (I'm a chef) but because I'd have before and after schoolers I could only work 10-2ish
Ironing from home for a local ironing company - but they don't have any vacancies at present, but are keeping hold of my details

Anyone got any other ideas?!?!?

Louise B
20-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi, I've not got any great money-making ideas, although car boot sales and Ebay might bring a bit extra in?

I replied just to say hello because I'm just down the road from you, in Cosby!!

Louise.x

tiger79
20-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi, I've not got any great money-making ideas, although car boot sales and Ebay might bring a bit extra in?

I replied just to say hello because I'm just down the road from you, in Cosby!!

Louise.x

Hi Louise - Nice to know there's someone local on here! My nieces go to school in Cosby. My wife is an ebay addict so hoping that'll bring some money in, she's just got to stop spending on it too!! As for the carboot last time we did Croft people just wanted stuff for 20p!! Didn't make a lot but may be worth another go not this weekend tho as forecast is heavy rain!

Did you fill your places easily enough? We just need that one or two part / full time child to make it pay and just keep getting enquiries for before and after school at the school I don't plan to collect from! Think maybe we should have got a pot of money aside before deciding to do this!

Can't quit my job until I fill the places, but don't want to let down the before /after schooler I've got lined up as may lose him! Looks like I'm going to have to go out on the agency at weekends for a while :( otherwise we'll be looking for a childminder ourselves for our baby while I plod along in the same old job.

Ripeberry
20-08-2010, 08:46 AM
A man that loves ironing :thumbsup: Why not just put up an advert in your local shops for ironing services? Don't need an agency for that type of work.

Your mum having your child for one day is a good idea as you have a skill that is in demand.

Your wife is very lucky :) Hubby can cook and iron :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
20-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Do you like cleaning too? There are always a call for cleaners and you can usually do house cleaning between those hours. That is what I did to start with. I'm now faced with a similar position as I only have 1 child and have 2 spaces and I'm the only income earner if I don't get some more children in the next month I need to take on an additional job.

Louise B
20-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Jon, two of my kids go to the local school, so probably know your nieces!

As far as I'm aware, there are only 2 of us minding in the village, and the other lady works during school hours, so only does before and after school, which has been a good thing for me. I'm full most afternoons, got one little girl every morning, and one part-time pre-school child but only two mornings. I need a full-time, or almost full-time younger child during the days really. The playschool gave my number out to a couple of people, and others are mums I already know from school. Our after school club closes at 5.30, and if you're working in town you wouldn't get there ontime, so I think that's why I've been lucky and had lots of enquiries.

Have you advertised at all the schools? Some of the families might have younger kids who need minding? Mine used to go to Nursery near you, but I was made redundant in January, and decided to give this a go. Really looking forward to starting in September.

It might be worth asking the companies at Magna Park if you can advertise there too, because if people don't see your advert in the village or haven't got school-age kids, they may not hear about you? And there are trading estates down near me too, try there? Quite a few families transferred their kids from our school to ones in your village a couple of years ago when we got a bad Ofsted report, so try putting a card in our Post Office and Co-op? Are you on Facebook? Worth telling friends on there too, maybe?

I hope you get some interest soon, keep trying all the surrounding villages too, people may prefer a childminder to the nursery.

xx

tiger79
20-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Do you like cleaning too? There are always a call for cleaners and you can usually do house cleaning between those hours. That is what I did to start with. I'm now faced with a similar position as I only have 1 child and have 2 spaces and I'm the only income earner if I don't get some more children in the next month I need to take on an additional job.

Jon's wife now....he loves cleaning I'm sure he has OCD! I suggested him doing cleaning too.

And yes I am a very lucky lady to have a man that cleans, cooks, irons and WANTS to stay at home looking after the children!!

I just hope he can do the childminding after all the effort he's put in, he's always wanted to do it and has so many ideas!

oakie dokie
20-08-2010, 09:28 AM
what about ringing other CM to see if they need some assistants? maybe they need a cleaner or someone to do their ironing, I know I could do with some help. :laughing:

sandy64
20-08-2010, 09:29 AM
well im sure it will work out it takes a little while to get established but its great to have a another male minder here so good luck, do you bake cakes you could do childrens birthday cakes always a good seller,:)

tiger79
20-08-2010, 09:46 AM
well im sure it will work out it takes a little while to get established but its great to have a another male minder here so good luck, do you bake cakes you could do childrens birthday cakes always a good seller,:)

Yes I do novelty cakes on the side already, but can't make too much out of doing them, I'd have to do a good 5 a week to make it pay and lots of people just prefer getting a cheapy from the supermarket!

sforme
23-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Have you thought about using the skills you already have and doing an after school 'little chef' club. or you could do it once a month / fortnight on a saturday?

Healthy eating workshops would be popular with the parents and it's a good way of meeting families that may need a cm. You could also see if there's a decent home education community around your way and offer your services during the normal school hours - that won't effect your after school mindees.

tiger79
27-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Have you thought about using the skills you already have and doing an after school 'little chef' club. or you could do it once a month / fortnight on a saturday?

Healthy eating workshops would be popular with the parents and it's a good way of meeting families that may need a cm. You could also see if there's a decent home education community around your way and offer your services during the normal school hours - that won't effect your after school mindees.

That's a brilliant idea thank you, will look into it!

Tinglesnark
27-08-2010, 01:47 PM
yes, thats a fab idea! my friend has just set up her own childrens cookery class and she is doing rather well with it! you could also advertise your services as a portable chef, people having dinner parties that dont want to hire a large caters? those bachelors trying to impress new girlfriends, new mothers trying to arrange christening parties....

dog walking?

deffo advertise ironing, someone i know charges 50p per item :eek:

odd job man?

think about what skills/hobbies do you have and then see where you can apply them :thumbsup:

good luck!

x

gegele
27-08-2010, 01:54 PM
ever thought of becoming a home carer for the elderly. you could do late morning visite and lunch visite so it would fit in your school times! :clapping:
i do tea and beds evry sunday night, it brings a bit, not hundreds and thousands but it helps.:thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
27-08-2010, 02:06 PM
day time taxi??

Carpet Monkeys
27-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Avon rep ... get's you chatting to lots of people and you could drop your childminding leaflets off with the books too!

Newbie1!
27-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Avon rep ... get's you chatting to lots of people and you could drop your childminding leaflets off with the books too!

What a fab idea!! Double whammy!!! :clapping: :clapping:

tiger79
27-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Don't think my neighbour would be too chuffed with that one, she's the local rep!!:laughing:

tiger79
27-08-2010, 04:39 PM
ever thought of becoming a home carer for the elderly. you could do late morning visite and lunch visite so it would fit in your school times! :clapping:
i do tea and beds evry sunday night, it brings a bit, not hundreds and thousands but it helps.:thumbsup:

Did think of that one, but I will have my 4 month old baby with me in the day, but then again the old ladies might like that!!

tiger79
27-08-2010, 04:43 PM
yes, thats a fab idea! my friend has just set up her own childrens cookery class and she is doing rather well with it! you could also advertise your services as a portable chef, people having dinner parties that dont want to hire a large caters? those bachelors trying to impress new girlfriends, new mothers trying to arrange christening parties....

dog walking?

deffo advertise ironing, someone i know charges 50p per item :eek:

odd job man?

think about what skills/hobbies do you have and then see where you can apply them :thumbsup:

good luck!

x

Now my wife suggested the dinner party thing, maybe that would be a good one to do! I'll get an ad in the local shop, people will be sick of seeing my name all round this village!!

Jon's Wife says - Odd job man!!??!?!?:laughing: think I'd better at doing that - as some of you may have guessed it's role reversal in our household. He's a dab hand with an iron, cooker, washing machine, but when it comes to a drill, screwdriver, hammer then it's best left to me!! LOL!!

Newbie1!
27-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Now my wife suggested the dinner party thing, maybe that would be a good one to do! I'll get an ad in the local shop, people will be sick of seeing my name all round this village!!

Jon's Wife says - Odd job man!!??!?!?:laughing: think I'd better at doing that - as some of you may have guessed it's role reversal in our household. He's a dab hand with an iron, cooker, washing machine, but when it comes to a drill, screwdriver, hammer then it's best left to me!! LOL!!

Oh Mrs Jon you do make me chuckle!!!xx :laughing: :laughing:

Carpet Monkeys
27-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Don't think my neighbour would be too chuffed with that one, she's the local rep!!:laughing:

You could do just family and friends, or get your own roads to do!!

charlie potato
27-08-2010, 05:31 PM
my partner is just ace at cooking and washing up. :clapping: