PDA

View Full Version : advice wanted

debbie
18-08-2010, 07:55 AM
hi ladies, very quick question. just had a mum ask if i could mind her baby whilst her hubby takes her to New York for her big birthday. would be Monday to Friday day and night. i am registered for night care and i do have the child part time Monday to Thursday. the family have been with me for 7 1/2 years. not sure if i can do this or how much to charge. the older 2 children will be their grand parents on holiday but they cant cope with the lo as-well. any advice would be gratefully received. thanks

oakie dokie
18-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I think you can do it, your registered for overnight so I don't see a problem with it. I surpose the grandparents would be your emergency contacts?
Don't think I would do it because of my own family.
How much I would charge? I don't know that either because i'm not registered for overnight but if i were I would charge them the day rate and your night rate. They will either like it or not.
A huge responsibility.

snufflepuff
18-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I'd imagine this is ok, maybe call ofsted to check?
I'd do it- that would be worth a fair amount of money, probably enough for me to go on my own holiday at some point (not enough for a trip New York though!)

Mookins
18-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh how sad splitting the kids up... understandable though

if youre allowed i would it...although i would ask that the grandparents take the child out with the others a few hours a day, to spend time with them and to give you a break...but then would the lil would get upset if the siblings where goin off with grandparents?...suppose it depends on the age

xxx

margaret
18-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I have done this in the past,a big responsibility but no different to what we usually do .

I would do a short term contract for that particular week ,ensuring i have all extra emergency contacts etc.I would be charging at least 50.00 a night ,but its youre business, babies,toddlers can give you sleepless nights.Shouldnt be a problem with ofsted as you already look after child and its not a regular occurrence.

debbie
18-08-2010, 01:16 PM
the child is 18 months now so will be nearly 2 yrs. emergency contact could be awkward as grand parents don't live in england but france which is where older two will be going they are 5 and 8 yrs. can see from grandparents point of view that they can do more without lo around. will check with ofsted anyway see how i stand with it. would be a nice earner with xmas creeping up. and as it would fall in school holidays would only have 2 others. never done this before. don't even know going rate of registered night childminders.

claire'scherubs
18-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Can I just ask you to warn the parents that they may be some problems with the child sleeping patterns when they return. One of my mindees was left at home while the other children and family went on holiday, and still nearly 2 months on, she has problems getting the LO to go to bed. I wouldn't want you to be 'blamed' for the problems IF it happened. The child I am talking about is of a similar age xxx

Stillgoingstrong
18-08-2010, 01:38 PM
What a palavar for the parents just to go away for the w/e!!! How the heck are the others getting to blinking France??? Sounds like too much faffing for it to be worthwhile for them:eek:
I would be honoured if a family felt that secure with my care that they felt comfortable leaving their lo with me for a w/e, and I wouldn't analise - brains gone dead, how the heck is that spelt anylise/anilise no thats not it, oh well you know wim! -wouldn't that word it too much, just charge loads and enjoy! I would charge normal day rate and normal out of hours rate for through the night, take it or leave it as someone else said. I looked after a lo for almost a week when she was 6 months old and lo's Daddy died, just did it and it was fine. No, before you ask, I didn't charge, but that was completely different.
The one you have been asked to look after already knows you so sure will be fine.:thumbsup: They must have godparents or other friends/family as emergency contacts I'm sure, as grandparents bit too far away:D

debbie
18-08-2010, 09:50 PM
mum said if i could then they would drop lo off at mine then they would fly to Paris drop older 2 off with grandparents then fly from Paris to New York. as far as i know all god parents are in France or Denmark but they may have a very close friend who could be called on in an emergency. think i'm going to do it his like part of the furniture anyway and my daughter babysits for the family on a regular basis so he knows her quiet well. wish me luck. now to deal with another problem parent keeps saying doesn't want to move children as they are settled then advertises on another well known web site for a childminder/au pair/ nanny. doesn't like paying for extra hours and where i have children booked in over 5 days if i have them 3 days i'm lucky. it's driving me up the wall.