PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know

kindredspirits
17-08-2010, 11:16 AM
how i go about getting my sons hearing/ears checked?? I have a feeling there might be an issue - whenever he hears a loud sound like a baby crying etc he covers his ears and cries and he seems to constantly fall over - he is 3 1/2 but the other day he turned around 180degrees in the living room and fell over straight onto his side without reacting - looked like a dellboy! :o
He is constantly falling over when walking, or tripping over his own feet i put it down to being clumsy but combined with the not liking loud noises i thought there may be something they could do.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Speak to your health visitor at your doctors surgery and they should be able to refer you or guide you to the best place

Hope it is sorted soon

maisiemog
17-08-2010, 12:14 PM
My DD has to go for regular hearing checks and appts and we got our referral through my HV. I asked for it cos she always seemed to be clutching at her ears, had bad balance and constant ear infections!

Like you ds she has really bad balance. Poor thing is covered in bruises from falling over! Her problem isn't with her hearing though it might be affected one day. Her ear canal isn't properly formed.

aly
17-08-2010, 12:26 PM
either your hv or the school....will he be starting in sept?..if he does they do them at school..but not sure if they only do it after they reach 5?

Daddy Day Care
17-08-2010, 12:40 PM
My daughter was exactly the same at that age, we spoke to the health visitor at her 3 yera review and she got refered to audioligy at the hospital. Its hard at that age, as they asked her to do things when she heard a sound but at age 3 she really wasnt pyaing that much attention she jsut wnated to get up and play.

She passed the test but only just they said they wanted to keep an eye on it tho.

She also was gonig speech therapy and they said that could be because of her ears, she was refered there severall more times and she passed just every time.

When she was 5 still going speech therapy, she was refered once again and this time she did the adult test, and she passed it easily, and the Doctor wrote a letter to the speech therapist bascily tellnig her to stop sending my daughter there because there was nothing wrong with her ears.

She isnt clumsy anymore, but still covers her ears at times, shes actually got speech therapy tomorrow first one of the summer no doubt she will try and refer us again

Gareth
xx

nannymcflea
17-08-2010, 06:31 PM
If he's had a lot of ear infections he may have some scaring in the ear.(cannot remember which part).

Does he have trouble finding out where sounds come from? I do and have been told I have some scaring from infections as a child and adult.

Go to the docs and say you are not happy. The clinic in town do regular ear checks, dd2 had hers there as she has regular infections too.

kindredspirits
19-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't think he has ever had an ear infection - and he definately doesn't have a problem with quiet sounds, but anything loud really bothers him. So for eg. if we are in the living room and my husband rolls over in bed, or clears his throat, he will say 'daddy is awake' - its like he can hear things too loud - he's complaining at the minute that the sound of my typing is going over peppa pig. :rolleyes:

i'm going to be home schooling him so i think i'll go via the HV if its standard proceedure to do it in schools anyway.

jadylasa
19-08-2010, 07:30 AM
re school check ups; I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on it though) they do the eye test in nursery and the hearing test in reception, so not worty waiting, all children are under their health visitor untill they are 5 so as others have said that would be the best place to start. Good luck. xx

Mookins
19-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't think he has ever had an ear infection - and he definately doesn't have a problem with quiet sounds, but anything loud really bothers him. So for eg. if we are in the living room and my husband rolls over in bed, or clears his throat, he will say 'daddy is awake' - its like he can hear things too loud - he's complaining at the minute that the sound of my typing is going over peppa pig. :rolleyes:

i'm going to be home schooling him so i think i'll go via the HV if its standard proceedure to do it in schools anyway.

my dd is nearly 4 and hates any loud noises, cries with aeroplanes,flushing the toilet, hoover, lawnmower,hairdryer,

she too has very good hearing can hear a sweet wrapper within a 10mile radius!! lol
xx

jadylasa
19-08-2010, 12:00 PM
sounds like your thinking the problem could be oversensetive ears as apposed to a lack of hearing? Poor little boy, xxxx