PDA

View Full Version : will I ever get any mindees?

shivon
16-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I became a Registered Childminder a couple of weeks ago. I have been advertising like mad but not had a single enquiry :O(
I'm worried that all my hard work getting registered will go to waste if I don't get anyone!
I know it can take time to build up the business but I had hoped I would get at least one enquiry.
Anybody else in the same boat?

coffee-time
16-08-2010, 08:41 PM
i was registered for 4 months before i finally got a mindee! id had a few enquiries which came to nothing after the first 2 months though. it does take time, have you advertised on childcare.co.uk i got a couple of enquiries from there, and netmums is a good place to advertise too. hth.

miffy
16-08-2010, 08:52 PM
It can take a while to get started. If you look round the forum you'll find plenty of posts from people who struggled like you then found that their business took off.

Hang in there, it will happen for you eventually.

Miffy xx

MrsShell
17-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi.

I feel the same as you. I have been registered since the end of June and still no enquiries and am feeling a bit fed up and wondering if I've done the right thing.

I have advertised on childcare.co.uk and Netmums and other websites but have not actively advertised anywhere else yet because all the groups and schools have been closed since I registered and I haven't been getting my name out there as much as I perhaps should.

I am going to stick at it though because a lot of people on the forum have taken some time to get their first mindees.

Hopefully we will both get some calls soon. Fingers crossed!

Michelle x :)

shivon
17-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi thanks for your replies.
I'll keep at it and keep my fingers and toes crossed!!

Stillgoingstrong
17-08-2010, 07:42 PM
You have to be really really pro active - make sure that you copy and paste your ad on Netmums so its always at or near the top as once you've posted it it will get lower and lower and lower and no-one bothers to scroll too far down. Also on childcare.co.uk go for anything and everything - you could be lucky and pick up the odd days and hours that no-one else wants, and end up with loads of mindees on your books but for bits here and there, but that make up the same as one or two full timers. Make sure you go on the site several times a day so as soon as someone puts something on there you are first to respond. Dont worry they will come:clapping: :clapping:

OllyF
18-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I am in the same boat, i have been registered for over a month now, been advertising on netmums, childcare but not a dickie bird, getting frustrated now, hope i dont have to wait tooooooooo long!!! good luck and hope you get something soon.

Chellie
19-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi, it can be very frustrating, but something will turn up but other ideas are advertising at your local children's centre, they generally have a board were childminders can advertise their vacancies. You could try putting a window sticker in your car, get a t-shirt printed with the fact that you are a registered childminder and wear it when you're out and about with your own children. Also make sure you let people know you're a childminder especially at school or if you go to soft play, music sessions etc you never know who is looking for a childminder. I once put a card up in my local Asda and got an enquiry from that, which led to me looking after a little boy and then his sister. Oh yes and local schools also often carry details of local childminders as not all school age children want to go to after school club and parents sometimes make enquiries, so you may pick up some after school children from this.

Good luck

shivon
19-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the advice I was quite low down on Netmums so I have moved myself back up to the top!
I'm glad that I am not the only one finding it difficult to get kids!
I've ordered some car magnets in the hope that people might notice when I am driving round the local area.
Also, another childminder that I know has said that she will pass any enquiries she gets onto me as she is full.
Have to wait and see what happens!