PDA

View Full Version : Minding over 8's, advice please!

caroline1560
16-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi everybody, I am new so hope that I have put this in the right place.

I work as a teaching assistant in a primary school and my own children are now at Uni and I am considering minding older children during the weekends and holidays.

I was looking into registering officially but have now discovered that it is not necessary to be a registered childminder if you mind over eight's. Does anybody else who does this have any information that you could share with me? I obviously do not want to do anything unofficial!

If I do decide to go ahead, would I be able to offer my services on websites that other registered childminder's use?

I would be interested to know your views and any comments.

Thank you!

samb
17-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Hello. You are correct to mind over8s you do not need to be Ofsted registered. However, for the parent to claim the childcare element of child tax credits or to pay you with childcare vouchers they may be able to claim through their jobs they can only use an Ofsted registered childminder. You can apply to just be on the voluntary section (over 8s) if you wanted to. I personally don't do this but I am sure you will get advice from others that do soon.

So basically my answer would be yes you can but you are limiting the people that might actually use you by not registering. Hope that helps?

caroline1560
17-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply and yes it does help. Since I posted I have done a bit more research and realised that this was the case with WTC and vouchers etc so I may well do that. Thanks again x