PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Reg visit/inspection - What to expect

BenandMattsDad
16-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi, new to the site (registered about 20 minutes ago !!) and in the early stages of becoming a registered CM.

I'm booked in for my first home inspection on the 26th and am in the process of setting the house up to hopefully not give me too much to do after the inspection, if you see what I mean ?

I've spoken to the staff at my boy's nursery and to a local CM who have mentioned the following to cover off before the inspection:

Fire blanket (on order)
Fridge thermometer (also on order)
Stair gates (already have them)
Fire guard (eBay)
Locks on kitchen cupboards (done)
Sharp knives out of reach (done)
Move bleach etc.... out of the under the sink cupboard (underway)

So I think I'm off to an ok start.

What else will the inspectors be looking for and expect to see when they visit ?

Any ideas greatfully accepted.

Newbie1!
16-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi, new to the site (registered about 20 minutes ago !!) and in the early stages of becoming a registered CM.

I'm booked in for my first home inspection on the 26th and am in the process of setting the house up to hopefully not give me too much to do after the inspection, if you see what I mean ?

I've spoken to the staff at my boy's nursery and to a local CM who have mentioned the following to cover off before the inspection:

Fire blanket (on order)
Fridge thermometer (also on order)
Stair gates (already have them)
Fire guard (eBay)
Locks on kitchen cupboards (done)
Sharp knives out of reach (done)
Move bleach etc.... out of the under the sink cupboard (underway)

So I think I'm off to an ok start.

What else will the inspectors be looking for and expect to see when they visit ?

Any ideas greatfully accepted.

Im really new to all this too so probably cant help much but one tip the lady at my briefing session gave me was to crawl around your house on your hands and knees as this usually shows up any hazards etc that you may not think of at normal height! Also dont forget your plug socket covers! Hope this helps a little xx

BenandMattsDad
17-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Im really new to all this too so probably cant help much but one tip the lady at my briefing session gave me was to crawl around your house on your hands and knees as this usually shows up any hazards etc that you may not think of at normal height! Also dont forget your plug socket covers! Hope this helps a little xx
Plug socket covers, gotcha. Definitely need some more of those. Ta !!

HDL
17-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi
Had my registration visit a few weeks ago and it was much easier than I thought it was going to be - the lady was lovely and it was more like an informal chat. However, I had spent ages safety proofing my house, cleaning the house, doing risk assessments, starting policies etc etc and that wasn't what the inspector seemend interested in. She looked round my house and garden for best part of 10 minutes then spent two and a half hours talking about and asking me questions on welfare requirements and the EYFS so my advice would be to read up on these a lot (particularly safeguarding). This said, it wasn't a test and she was fine if I didn't know the answer, she just told me what I needed to know and gave me some good hints and tips.:)
HTH
Lisa

gazanne
18-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi, I had my pre reg visit last week and it went really well, she stayed two hours which sounds like a long time but it went really quick. not like a interview more like a friendly chat. She didnt ask me many questions mainly about safeguarding and children with disabilities, why i wanted to be a childminder. she said i didnt need a fireguard as i wouldnt be using the fire while i had the children. we had alcohol o0n show behind a locked glass cupboard and she said it would have to be covered up. My children wont have to use my bathroom upstairs but she mentioned shampoo and conditioner have to be out of reach. She also loved the labels on the toy boxes i thought that was quite normal but she went into a spiel about word recognision. They dont expect you to have everything i had a post it note with a list of things i still needed and she was happy with that it showed i had thought about what i was going to do with the children. she asked about seperate towels for the kids and i showed her a pile of cheap flannels that the kids use once then put in a bin and i will wash at night. Sorry to waffle on a bit but good luck its not as bad as you think. Anne Id put a smiley face on but cant work out how to do it also new to this.

BenandMattsDad
18-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback, lots of good stuff to think about. We already use a stack of flannels for our two, but I never would have thought to point it out during the visit.