PDA

View Full Version : Help me stop spending!!!!

moljak
15-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm off to Cornwall in September for a family wedding/gathering and I need to save some money drastically before then so we can eat out and have treats without having to count the pennies and think about things which means..................................

I need to stop :

popping to asda

looking on ebay and

ordering takeaways.

I've just done a cupboard and freezer inventory and I can comfortably live on my stores for a few weeks with just fruit/veg and milk to buy so I want to get going with this.Theres just me and DD this week as DS is on cadet annual camp so should be easier as she just eats what's put infront of her.I need to get back onto WW points plan after a weekend of naughtyness so this should spurr me on.I'm going to do lots of activities with Dd to keep me off the internet and to get me moving more.

any hints/tips would be very welcome.

I could in theory save £100 per week if I can manage this.Scary when I wonder where it all goes.

Donkey
16-08-2010, 12:07 AM
wish I could help I am a terrible spender!!

christine e
16-08-2010, 06:21 AM
How about writing down what you spend - I find it's the little amounts that mount up

Good luck

Cx

sweets
16-08-2010, 07:14 AM
take e bay off your favourites list so you can't just easily click into it but have to type the address in which takes longer! lol.

write down everything you spend and only have £10-£20 in your purse at a time, dont use cards and just try to stick to cash so you can see exacltly what you are spending.

if i have more than £20 in my purse i spend more :eek:

Ripeberry
16-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I won't spend much on myself but when it comes to buying stuff for my kids then they get loads, they have more clothes than me!

My other weakness is gadgets, in the last month I've bought a small egg incubator (6 hen eggs or 3 duck eggs) and yesterday bought a trail camera that takes still pictures at night of anything it detects moving in the dark.

I think I've got little visitors in the garden and want to find out what it is, also handy as a security camera :thumbsup:

funfunfun
16-08-2010, 08:08 AM
I am the same

I dont seem to spend money on items and things for myself ................ but for the children and around the house

It is very scary when you realise how much you could save from the odd
"pop to the shop" trips !!!

clorogue
16-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I have been revamping spending at the moment and I can't recommend high enough on-line shopping, takes a while to set up. Plus vouchers can be worth 4 times the amount in Tesco.

Got my head around planning the meals for the week, I have only spent £81 this week on a family of 5 and I allow about £20 for top up.

My shopping bill has nearly halved! I am ashamed about myself not having done it sooner. But my I was trying to juggle so many things and would pop into Sainsburys every 3-4 days and not realise I was doubling up on things, just putting things in the trolley thinking that will be fine, keep us going.

Also if you do log everything else you spend it really mounts up. Likewise if you add up what you save how it mounts up and how you can really save.

Keep thinking do you really need it - good luck - you can do it!!!!

bekki0405
16-08-2010, 08:55 AM
have you got anything you can put on ebay to sell? It's quite a rush to watch things making money for you.
Also, I'm planning to do a car bootie in September. Children's toys sell well, and it's really great fun. You can easily make at least £40-50 in a morning, and it's a great way to de-clutter

moljak
16-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Fab ideas thankyou.

I've resisted ebay this morning and have just checked my bank.I've been on the scales, sorted out what DD would like to do today.She's been quite demanding recently so we have a list and she chooses 2 things per day she'd like to do.I then show her my list of my to do things so she realises everything doesn't revolve around her.She's chose a walk to the playground and cooking.Think we can do those.Got everything I need in so won't need to buy anything :)

I've got £10 in my purse and I'm going to see if that can last me until next Monday.
WW chicken curry tonight and have all ingredients in.

I also don't buy for myself but recently I've bought kids toys, stationary, shelf unit.All will get used but not entirely necessary!

I've got a small note book and an envelope to pop receipts in so i can keep a log.
Day 1 here goes :thumbsup:

heatherw
16-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Good luck! I actually spent so much online i knew my card number of by heart! :panic: To stop spending i got a new bank card so i couldnt sit at the computer and just order stuff. Amazon is another good place to sell stuff you want to get rid of.

Mookins
16-08-2010, 12:34 PM
cut up your bank/credit card and dont order a new one until just before you go away xxx

singingcactus
16-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I have recently discovered a fool proof way to stop the 'pop to the shop' money drain, although it is a little drastic. We have moved to a place where the closest shop is 15 miles away down the A1! You should all try it!

Oh, and unless I order online and have it delivered by royal mail, I have to book each and every courier onto camp. Even tesco.com. That in itself is enough of a hassle for me not to bother.

I should be rich soon!