PDA

View Full Version : Home Contents insurance

uf353432
15-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Just got my renewal quote for Churchill and its gone up a whopping £100 this year - so plan to shop around to see if we can't get it a bit cheaper. I've searched the forum and note that people seem to be using most of the major players including the standard MM and Bluefin etc.

When you put in for your quotes - are you applying for business insurance or do you put yourself in as a childminder - but normal home insurance? Is childminding not deemed as a business insurance? Can anyone advise?

thanks debs

aly
15-08-2010, 08:22 PM
ours is normal home insurance that includes childminders...I wouldnt go for someone who said you ahd to have specific childminder business one.

rickysmiths
16-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Mine is normal Home Insurance and I tell them I,m a Childminder and its never been a problem.

I have been with churchill for years. Last December they quoted me £635 for my renewal. :panic: I rang them and they immediately reduced it to £435 which was too much so I went online and got a quote from Churchill for £235. All I had to to was cancel the existing policy and start a new one because for some wierd reason they couldn't match the online price.

So I saved £400 by playing the game.

Donkey
16-08-2010, 12:11 AM
mine is £238 with morton michel for buildings and contents with full accidental damage including accidental damage by mindees

bargain!

aly
16-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Mine is normal Home Insurance and I tell them I,m a Childminder and its never been a problem.

I have been with churchill for years. Last December they quoted me £635 for my renewal. :panic: I rang them and they immediately reduced it to £435 which was too much so I went online and got a quote from Churchill for £235. All I had to to was cancel the existing policy and start a new one because for some wierd reason they couldn't match the online price.

wow...thats daft though isnt it!
glad you saved it.!

eviesnanny
16-08-2010, 10:46 AM
My contents insurance is with Aviva. I have just today added cover for damage by mindees and it cost me £21.28 until my policy runs out on 30th November. I may shop around when it's due for renewal but at least I am covered for now.:clapping:

tashaleee
16-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Just got my renewal quote for Churchill and its gone up a whopping £100 this year - so plan to shop around to see if we can't get it a bit cheaper. I've searched the forum and note that people seem to be using most of the major players including the standard MM and Bluefin etc.

When you put in for your quotes - are you applying for business insurance or do you put yourself in as a childminder - but normal home insurance? Is childminding not deemed as a business insurance? Can anyone advise?

thanks debs

Have you tried ringing Churchill? I had a quote a couple of days ago and it had gone up by almost £100 for the year.... they told me I had been given a discounted rate before so I told them I would definitely be shopping around as I only switched to them as they were cheaper than my existing company.... amazingly in the next sentence she found me a 'different' discount :rolleyes: and it will now cost me an extra 18p a month :thumbsup:

uf353432
17-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Great I will phone them - thanks for that xx

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I am with churchill also and ring every year. I get discounts because of loyalty, having house and car insurance together

I think you also need to look at service - if I have had to claim it is sorted in an hour and booked in for repair with a car supplied. When I was hit by someone else they got me an 8 seater car too as a replacement.

Direct Line and Shiela's wheels are also the same company as churchill, just a different arm of it.

beccas
17-08-2010, 01:09 PM
i have been struggling with this due to a big slide in my garden wantiong it covered for vandalism etc... well couldnt get any my old insurance dont do it anymore for childmidners and ncma (:laughing: ) could only get a quote for £400!!!!!!

so i rang mm and they got me one £183.. but i wanted extra cover on items i take out:laptop etc.. so it came in at £293. so i said yes on the spot and my slide is covered as well...:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

guess who i am getting public liablity with next year !!!

The Juggler
22-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm with Liverpool Victoria. no extra fee and they cover accidental on soft furnishings and tv etc when minding.

TheBTeam
23-08-2010, 08:55 PM

We have just changed to Churchill, because our existing insurer of 22 years has this year decided that as we are both childminders they will not insure our contents full stop!! Churchill have insured us and have given us acc damage cover as well, and stupidly it is cheaper than what we have been paying!!