PDA

View Full Version : dont know how to charge!

jake
13-08-2010, 11:03 AM
can anyone tell me what i should do,i have a lady who wants to drop her 3 yr old of at 7.30am and me to take him to nursery for 8am,then pick him up at 3.30pm and look after him till 6pm and possibly 9pm one to two eves a week!she wants me to have him during the school hols to.This means that i cant fill the space during the day with a full timer.The lady wants to pay me an extra pound an hour to make up for it,unless im a bit slack i think im still losing out,i dont want to turn her away or anything.Her sons nursery is costing her around 7,000 a year and she says thats all she can afford.Advice please,thanks jake x

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I would charge before and after school rate here then an enhanced rate from 6-9pm, with full price during the holidays

If it were my rates it would be 2 days

Before School - £5 + .50p for breakfast if required (£418)
After School - £14.00 + £2.50 for tea (£1254)
Holidays - £45.00 + £5.50 for meals (£1414)
6-9pm - 3 hours @ £7.50 (£1710)

Total for the year £4796.00

It is still cheaper that the nursery, she can use tax credits and childcare vouchers and you still have a school hours space which will slot in nicely and you can earn from.

Waveawand
13-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Hiya I agree with Debbie26 ! If she needs you and she obviously does she'll take it or tell her to leave lo with you full time as you would still be cheaper than the nursery...

Debbie26 what do you charge for a meal? Ive only been charging £1!!! and i cook it too!!

manjay
13-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Is the op not saying that the parent will need to pay the £7k for the private nursery on top of their charges? I also don't think they would get much help from tax credits if they can afford to spend £7k on a nursery:rolleyes:

Tbh I would think long and hard about taking this one on. I did it for a 3 year old in the same situation when I was first registered and very quickly realised my eagerness to sign a mindee meant I was losing out!

I have a 3 year old this year who will be out of my care from 9-3 during school time and holiday care is required. I charge full for the hours they are with me and half for the hours they are not.

Only you can decide whether you are likely to fill the school hours space with a term time only child:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Hiya I agree with Debbie26 ! If she needs you and she obviously does she'll take it or tell her to leave lo with you full time as you would still be cheaper than the nursery...

Debbie26 what do you charge for a meal? Ive only been charging £1!!! and i cook it too!!

I charge £2.50. How much would it cost you to prepare and serve a hot meal if you were doing it for 1? A cornetto costs £1

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Is the op not saying that the parent will need to pay the £7k for the private nursery on top of their charges? I also don't think they would get much help from tax credits if they can afford to spend £7k on a nursery:rolleyes:

Tbh I would think long and hard about taking this one on. I did it for a 3 year old in the same situation when I was first registered and very quickly realised my eagerness to sign a mindee meant I was losing out!

I have a 3 year old this year who will be out of my care from 9-3 during school time and holiday care is required. I charge full for the hours they are with me and half for the hours they are not.

Only you can decide whether you are likely to fill the school hours space with a term time only child:thumbsup:

This works out at £400 a month with the potential of another £542 if you had a full timer. The reason I think this is a good contract is that it is only for 2 days a week at a good rate and if you take on a term time and they want holidays, get the overlap under continuity of care. To me this is easy money - if there is such a thing.

miffy
13-08-2010, 02:30 PM
It doesn't sound like easy money to me - I wouldn't be able to take a child to nursery for 8am as I have other children arriving at that time so it might compromise what other work I could take on.

Keeping a 3yo until 9pm at night means you lose most of your evening too and they are likely to be grumpy because they're tired.

Miffy xx

jake
13-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for that everyone,i get the feeling that shes going to be hard work so im going to have a good think about it first. thanks jake