PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment; Park

SonnysMummy
02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm writing a risk assessment for one of my local parks. I'm worried about a couple of things. Thinking about what i may need i've written snacks, drinks, nappies ect... children may need toilet... thing is this park doesn't have toilets or nappy changing facilities. What can i say about how i would reduce these risks. If a baby needed their nappy changing i couldn't change it until we got home unless i did it in the park which i don't think we'd be able to do; and i bet little children can't have a wee behind a tree!!!

Kelly:)

sarah707
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Changing a baby wouldn't be a problem if you took a throw away mat and some antibacterial wipes / spray for hands afterwards... def better than keeping baby in a dirty nappy and risking a rash I would think...

As for wees, I would just say they go before we leave and if they need one while we are out, I would take them to the local coffee shop.

Then you can start lobbying your local council to build some! :laughing:

SonnysMummy
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, thankyou:)
At my local park there are no nearby amenities where we could use their toilet. There is a police station., church, pub and a few shops. Don't think we could use their loos. Don't think i could take the children into the pub!!!

Trouble
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
portable potty, or just dont go into that much detail
skip that bit:eek:

charleyfarley
04-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Portable potty with lid that I carry in the car at all times, our park is only a minute away so I could just nip home with them

Other than that just get them to go before you leave

Carol xx

SonnysMummy
04-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks; i think i'll say i'd have a portable potty then.
Another question... if there was glass, needles, animal faeces ect in the park, would you say that you'd clear it up before you let the children play, or would you say that you would leave the park? Would it be too dangerous to do this yourself?

Trouble
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
you make the children aware before you go not to pick anything up off the floor or have their hands wiped often and not put their fingers near their eyes or mouth

you know what i mean

also youll do a quick risk assessment of the equipment ie working properly, not broken

SonnysMummy
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
But if there was glass etc there when we arrived would i clear it up, let the children play in the park? Or would we need to leave. Would it be enough to make them aware to not pick it up or go near it?

Trouble
04-04-2008, 09:28 PM
if you can flick it far enough away then do so but if its in one corner and they are in another just explain the dangers and tell them to stay away

orther wise youd be sweeping up the park everytime you go

and watch them like a hawk:eek:

sarah707
04-04-2008, 09:59 PM
But if there was glass etc there when we arrived would i clear it up, let the children play in the park? Or would we need to leave. Would it be enough to make them aware to not pick it up or go near it?

I always sit the children on a bench when we first go in the park and do a visual check (that's what it says in my risk assessment). If I felt it was really dangerous (needles etc) I would go home and tell them sorry.

I would not put myself in danger of injury by picking up glass or needles... no way! :eek: