PDA

View Full Version : Do you think i did the right thing ?

funfunfun
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone

...............Had a lady come to see me for the 2nd time today .............initially was going to leave lo for an hour and then decided she would stay with him .

Now she wants 2-7 tue/wed/thur AND friday 12-5

I said tue/wed/thur = £30 which is my daily rate

for the friday which is 12-5 i said i would charge £4 per hour as its within my usual hours of work

Mum questioned me asked why i was charging £30 when i charge £4 per hour

I advised as its outside my usual hours of work ....she still signed the contrat she said she didnt realise i didnt work until 7 !!!!

What do you think do you think i should have charged by the hour then a higher rate ??

I do see it as the lo is taking a space ..........

jaja
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
i personally dont charge by session or day as alot of my parents wouldnt pay for it, plus i like the freedom, for example one lo arrives at 11.15 and it gives me the morning to do what i want, if i said that it would be charged from 9am they wouldnt pay for it, tried this is the past and it doesnt work for me, however, thats the way i run my business for the area i am in...

I charge by the hour and any hours after 6 are charged more per hour, so in your case i would charge

£3 per hour from 2 until 6 then £3.50 for 6-7pm times by 3 days then the friday would be 5 x £3 gives you the figure... with your figures that would be 81.50 ish just for the hours...

if mum signed then she should be happy with it, i might ring up and just find out if there were any other questions that needed answering and maybe go over again about the way you charge,,,, everyo0ne is different and everyone charges different

hope this has helped and not confused xxxxxx

maryp0ppins
09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi funfunfun

I think you have done the right thing...
I charge £30 full day rate 8am-6pm.

After all the child is taking a space & you would find it difficult to fill the 8am-2pm slot !!!

:thumbsup:

funfunfun
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi funfunfun

After all the child is taking a space & you would find it difficult to fill the 8am-2pm slot !!!

:thumbsup:

I feel the same about that ..............also with the different hours friday .

funfunfun
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
i personally dont charge by session or day as alot of my parents wouldnt pay for it, plus i like the freedom, for example one lo arrives at 11.15 and it gives me the morning to do what i want, if i said that it would be charged from 9am they wouldnt pay for it, tried this is the past and it doesnt work for me, however, thats the way i run my business for the area i am in...

I charge by the hour and any hours after 6 are charged more per hour, so in your case i would charge

£3 per hour from 2 until 6 then £3.50 for 6-7pm times by 3 days then the friday would be 5 x £3 gives you the figure... with your figures that would be 81.50 ish just for the hours...

if mum signed then she should be happy with it, i might ring up and just find out if there were any other questions that needed answering and maybe go over again about the way you charge,,,, everyo0ne is different and everyone charges different

hope this has helped and not confused xxxxxx

Hi Thanks for your response

We were half way through the contract when she asked !!

I said if your not happy we dont have to continue ..........and explained why i charge more .........i charge more an hour after 5.30 anyway .

the fact is she needs childcare until 7pm !!
with the nursery she uses already closeing at 6 . Most childminders arnt willing to work until 7pm anyway where i am .Also Mum said lo has been at nursery 2 months and crys when she takes him ......

He didnt want to go home from here :)

she seemed very happy when she left .

I feel better about it now

snufflepuff
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Sounds fine to me, if she has signed she was obviously happy to pay what you ask.
Personally i don't use day rates and only charge for what is needed- but only because thats what others in the area do. If i tried to charge a full date rate for 5 hours people would go elsewhere. But you are right, they do take up a whole day space so i lose out on money in the long run but i have no choice really.

FussyElmo
09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
If she has signed then you have no worries. Think she probably just wanted to know why she paying more. Better to have asked then let it build up into a resentment:thumbsup:

If you have your fees written down prehaps its better to put unsociable hours (and write the hours diwn) will be charged at a higher rate.

funfunfun
09-08-2010, 04:46 PM
If you have your fees written down prehaps its better to put unsociable hours (and write the hours diwn) will be charged at a higher rate.

I gave all info ........on first visit maybe she didnt read clearlly about AFTER 5.30 :)

FussyElmo
09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I gave all info ........on first visit maybe she didnt read clearlly about AFTER 5.30 :)

Ahh theres the mistake - they dont read the stuff we give them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

funfunfun
09-08-2010, 04:51 PM
She did say oh i didnt realise you finished at 5.30 :laughing:

It does say this on my fee info page and on childcare (which is how she found me )

:) :)