PDA

View Full Version : help wanted from a newbie!!

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
im lost. back in june i had a parent come and see me about looking after her child but due to not being reg she said she would wait. i babysat for the little girl for a wk and a day and was told due to fees coming out her own money she needed to wait till i was reg
i became reg wednesday so informed the mum
she told me she was happy for me to start tomorrow whih i was happy about
now she wants a 4wk trial period and wont sign contract untill the 4-6 wk period is over!
what do i do?????

aly
08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
tell her you dont offer trial periods but you will do settling in session sof so many hours...do not do full days/weeks etc she could use you for that time then after the 4/6 weeks dump you for someone else.

This is YOUR business, run it YOUR way not how the parent tells you.!

also if she wont sign contracts etc, tell her you have other enquiries that you are making appoi9ntments for...might shake her up a bit!

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 06:30 PM
im worried that im being used
my partner has told me to be very carefull she messed me about coming early and late etc then not giving me payment in time
im very confused
the little girl told me im her fourth child minder

aly
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
im worried that im being used
my partner has told me to be very carefull she messed me about coming early and late etc then not giving me payment in time
im very confused
the little girl told me im her fourth child minder
If you have reservations now then it could be a sign...I would trust your gut instincts...other mindees will come along.

Seriously tell her for legal reasons..mention ncma, {that usually works} that unless contracts are signed you are not insured to have children. Under your registration you have to have contracts.

Having 4 childminders she should know, unless they didnt use contracts ??

Have a big think about it, this is your business and your reputation etc, do not let her dictate toy ou how you run it.

do you have other children on your books yet?

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Are you using NCMA contracts? There is a section in the contract that is a settling in session and it can be for as long as both parties are willing to make it. During the period either party can walk away.

Maybe this is a good medium for you both

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 06:37 PM
i have one on the books but just for a saturday as im doing saturdays too
shes just txted me saying she wants to make sure shes happy with what i feed her and teach her
she also dont want me for another 2wks now?

Winnie
08-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Sounds as if she is giving you the runaround. I always do a contact and then a short session and then a 'settling in' period of 2 to 4 weeks, parents (or me :rolleyes: ) can walk away within that time if it doesnt work out. It sounds like she wants ad-hoc childcare without paying a retainer, if you are happy to provide this then she would still need to sign an agreement setting out terms- what you promise to do and what she promises to do (pay you :D). Tell her childminding is highly regulated and paperwork is just one of those things we all have to do- no paperwork no childcare.

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
i have already had the girl for a wk but nothing was said about settling in period
now i am reg she wants the settling period
what fees do i charge her if i do a 4wk trial??
sorry to be a pain

aly
08-08-2010, 07:08 PM
i have already had the girl for a wk but nothing was said about settling in period
now i am reg she wants the settling period
what fees do i charge her if i do a 4wk trial??
sorry to be a pain
some people charge come dont..i guess it depends on how long you have the child through settling in, i didnt charge for havign a baby last week for half an hour...if its all day you could do half fee maybe?

Winnie
08-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I give one or two Free sessions of an hour each, but she has used you so can not expect any free settling in sessions :p Charge your usual fee, but you must agree the hours in advance and get the money in advance too- once she has signed a contract :thumbsup:

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 07:10 PM
thank u for ur help
she has used me for a wk and a day all day from 730am till 430pm 6days
i just dont know why now im reg she wants to do the 4wk trial now?
should i ask for all the fees up front?

aly
08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
thank u for ur help
she has used me for a wk and a day all day from 730am till 430pm 6days
i just dont know why now im reg she wants to do the 4wk trial now?
should i ask for all the fees up front?
again this is preference but most will work with fees in advance.

You should tell her the settling in sessions were what you have done already. if she wants more then she has to pay, and contracts signed now.

Stillgoingstrong
08-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Dont get mugged off!!! I have been minding for a loooong time and I stupidly managed to get ripped off only last week as I let someone pay in arrears rather than in advance. I will now only ever mind if I have been paid up front, and I would suggest you do the same, especially with this one who sounds a bit dodgy. I do offer settling in sessions for which I dont charge, but they are in the park for an hour with Mum there, then maybe half an hour at my setting
with Mum, then she goes and I have lo for half an hour or so and generally thats it. I would no way give freebies of any longer than an hour or two for settling in. She MUST sign a contract before you look after the lo again or you wont be insured. Good luck and dont let anyone take the michael :D

dianemellors
08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
thank u all for ur help
i am not going to take this minder on
she will not sign contract untill the 4wks is up of me looking after the child

aly
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
thank u all for ur help
i am not going to take this minder on
she will not sign contract untill the 4wks is up of me looking after the child
good for you.!
just think if shes like this now what will she dictate if contracts were signed.!..I think you are better of, I know it might seem like you have lost out on money but there will be others and that are willing to work WITH you and not dictate toy ou.

good luck, get on childcare.co.uk and go searching ;)

x

balijay
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I think you have done the right thing. Always go with your gut instinct when taking on mindees - the fact that you were posting about it on here suggests you felt this wasn't right from the start. Always have a contract in place, get paid up front and don't say yes to anything without thinking it through first. Good luck getting some lovely mindees and parents.