PDA

View Full Version : Childminding Start Up Grant

Newbie1!
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi guys......I wondered if anyone could give me a bit of info on the Childminding start up grant, have googled it but every page takes me somewhere else and its never ending!! I just wondered if there was any way I could get a few hundred pounds just to get some essentials such as safety gates etc. I know my council pay for the first aid course as they told us that at the briefing but wasnt sure about anything else. xx Thank u all. xx :panic:

karensmart4
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I had a start up grant....It was a few years ago, but my cm coordinator/support worker told me about it, we filled in the forms together and it had to be spent on safety.

I suggest you get in touch with yours.

Good luck with it all :thumbsup:

Newbie1!
08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I had a start up grant....It was a few years ago, but my cm coordinator/support worker told me about it, we filled in the forms together and it had to be spent on safety.

I suggest you get in touch with yours.

Good luck with it all :thumbsup:

Thank u, I had wondered about asking her but I felt a bit cheeky seen as they are paying for my first aid course! Think I will just have to bite the bullet and go for it! :laughing:

moljak
08-08-2010, 06:30 PM
I think it all depends what part of the country you are in to be hones.Not all counties give out grants.Mine does but I was deemed to be in an area that didn't need more childminders therefore wasn't given any help.
I did however get help from my local jobcentre.As a single parent there was a pot of money I was able to dip into as it was to get me back to work.If you're unemployed then ask the job centre :)

oh and local health visitors often have cheaper stair gates and socket covers ect for sale.

Mookins
08-08-2010, 07:15 PM
we dont get them wherei live.....we do get the icp course paid for and the first aid which was a blessing

xxx

Stillgoingstrong
08-08-2010, 07:29 PM
It all depends if in you live in an area of "identified need". Once you have finished your icp/dhc1 course the NCMA will send you a form if you are entitled to it-you have to send them a photocopy of your reg cert within 4 weeks of receiving it, then they send the form if you're entitled. Sorry to say that it is NOT a "few hundred pounds" - we'd all love that tbh - but depends on how many children you are registered for, with a maximum of £140 if you are registered for 6. :) Good luck

sarah707
08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Only your local authority will be able to tell you about your area.

However I know a lot of grants have been pulled as part of the spending review.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on! :D

arly
08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Im in scotland and the childminding association are doing a grant just now for 150 but it has to be spent on safety, not sure what other help there is.x

donnamarie2
09-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Hi , I got a start up grant , when i met my co -ordinator she told me about it and i had to do market research and prove their was a need for it in my area then it went before a panel.
What it paid for was my business pack from ncma , insurance and ncma membership , first aid kit , travel first aid kit,ofsted registration fee,health dec,food hygiene & first aid , membership for toy library.
I had to pay for everything except business pack stuff as ncma billed council directly , then send receipts in and got money back was about £200.
Safety gates and stuff i got and put them through my books.

SamBaker
09-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi, I'm in Kent and was told we would get a grant of up to £140 and the first aid course paid for and the business pack, sounded really good at first, I was then informed, yes there is a need for childminders in your area ... I got £23 and the business pack, and I didn't get the first aid course paid for. It all depends on your postcode. I dont want to sound glum, just don't want you get your hopes like I did. The business pack is defently helpful though along with the membership and insurance.

Good Luck xx