PDA

View Full Version : Saving money

sarah707
05-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I've just been on a mission to sort out some of my bills.

I checked on my electric and gas and have saved over £200 a year with my current supplier just by changing tarrifs.

I checked what I was paying for my gas boiler service from British Gas (£23 a month!!) and am now paying £16 a month with Eon for the exact same service - actually a better one because they have 4 hour call out windows and prioritise me as I am a childminder with under 3s in the house.

I am very chuffed! :clapping:

Virgin and Bt next! Does anyone know any good deals? :D

beccas
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
you have promted me to do mine been meaning to do it for last couple of months... so away i go

beccas
05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
plusnet supposed to be good fro phone and internet so i heard...

singingcactus
05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I've just been on a mission to sort out some of my bills.

I checked on my electric and gas and have saved over £200 a year with my current supplier just by changing tarrifs.

:D

I have just saved us over £80 a month on our joint electric and gas bill, by getting shot of npower! I used Uswitch to find a good deal. I'm sure they do other things too.

funfunfun
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Thats fab

I can say i changed to e-on last year ....dont know if i saved anything i never checked lol :blush:

Baileys'n'cream
05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Also, when you take out new policies, go through cashback websites :)

I have just got breakdown cover for my car through a cashback site and it will cost £5 :D

topcashback is a good one ;)

breezy
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
We're with Virgin and dh phoned up and complained about a "new customers only" deal and told them loyalty deserved more etc and he was leaving and going to Sky etc etc and guess what, he got the new deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daisy1956
05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I did the same Virgin were very good and gave me a really good new deal:)

sarah707
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
We're with Virgin and dh phoned up and complained about a "new customers only" deal and told them loyalty deserved more etc and he was leaving and going to Sky etc etc and guess what, he got the new deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's interesting thank you!!

I only have broadband with virgin but I'm paying £24 a month for 10mb which is really expensive compared to some of the phone / tv / internet packages they are offering at the moment.

i think a phone call might be in order tomorrow...hmmm.... I could transfer the whole lot to BT in a flash! :idea: :D

heatherw
06-08-2010, 05:37 AM

I do something similar with sky all the time, phone up and threaten to cancel and they offer you loads of deals. Last time I actually cancelled it and the next month they sent me a letter saying i would get free sky sports for a year if i came back. Sky are notorious for giving existing customers nothing and new customers load of deals.

The Juggler
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
i've had such a nightmare changing companies in the past I can't begin to tell you :panic: :panic: but after a year of wrangling we are now saving money with the company we moved to.

Wouldn't move again if they paid me though:panic:

Pauline
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Virgin and Bt next! Does anyone know any good deals? :D

If you are a Virgin customer you can get a sim card for pay as you go which is just 8p texts and 8p phone calls. Must be one of the cheapest if you don't want a contract. :thumbsup:

Hebs
06-08-2010, 06:56 AM
I do something similar with sky all the time, phone up and threaten to cancel and they offer you loads of deals. Last time I actually cancelled it and the next month they sent me a letter saying i would get free sky sports for a year if i came back. Sky are notorious for giving existing customers nothing and new customers load of deals.

thats how i got my sky HD box free, i was an existing customer, have been for 12 years but new customers were being offered the free sky HD box so i rang to complain.
at first they refused so i told them i wanted to cancel my contract with them as Virgin were offering th free HD box to new customers, same packege but cheaper each month and free installation...
a week later they came and installed my Sky HD box and put my sky+ box upstairs for free :thumbsup: :clapping:

RedDragon
06-08-2010, 06:59 AM
thats how i got my sky HD box free, i was an existing customer, have been for 12 years but new customers were being offered the free sky HD box so i rang to complain.
at first they refused so i told them i wanted to cancel my contract with them as Virgin were offering th free HD box to new customers, same packege but cheaper each month and free installation...
a week later they came and installed my Sky HD box and put my sky+ box upstairs for free :thumbsup: :clapping:

I think my husband did that too (I've only just learned how to turn the new tv on):blush: so have to leave that to him lol

tinkerbelle
06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
i saved £100 a month by switching my gas and electricity to eon from british gas i was paying £200 with them its now £100
my sky was basic package so took phone to tlk taalk big mistake service was poor n connection on broadband so went back n got new hd box etc
think i might look at other things too see where else i can save

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I am with virgin and when I rang about my rate they halved it for 6 months and I paid £9.99, did this twice too and it is now back up to £20.00 but I think it is the most reliable about.

I also have my phone line with talk talk and you can build you own package. I pay £25 per month with unlimited calls anywhere in the UK at anytime and I can ring nearly every country in the world for free as long as I don't go over 60 minutes, so set the egg timer and ring back after 59 minutes!

It also gives you free 0845 numbers and I think 0870 but not mobiles and talk talk internet through your phone line.

I am also with Eon and I do my own readings each month and post them on the internet so I know what it is costing each month and so far I am saving too.

clorogue
06-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I am on a mission too Sarah! Sorting out the food bill at the moment and doing well. I guess you may heard of moneysavingexpert.com (Martin Lewis) - always go to that before I do anything. Has all good tips, credit cards, mortgages, phones, travel, insurance - his advice is never ending and so valuable.

He even advises to talk to the cancellation department to say you are leaving as it is the only department that can offer you a better deal.

Good luck!!

wellybelly
06-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Well done Sarah and well done everyone else. We did the Virgin TV thing saying we were going to SKY as they were doing a better deal and they matched it! Also you don't always need to change companies just tariffs. I was with EON paying aboy £130 for Gas and Electric and told them I wanted to leave and could they give me my usage details and they offered to change my tariff and now I'm paying £89 a month!!!!! It certainly pays to call their bluff.

nannymcflea
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
We are with SKY on everything, phone,broadband and TV. Great deal and very speedy broadband.:thumbsup:

b-fly
06-08-2010, 03:12 PM
You won't believe what happened to me today. I was storing some old stuffs at home and I found an envelope... with money in it. I can't believe I've forgotten about them. They have to be there for at least a year. It was a very good start of the day :)