PDA

View Full Version : less hours more days?

Marie-louise
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi, i have a parent whos been with me 11mths, i look after her little boy for 4days a week, he goes to nannas one day. his contract is due for renewal as i will still be continuing to mind him. He will be starting nursery in 6mths time and his mam said she knows it will be less hours for me but i will be needed 5 days not 4 so it shouldnt be too bad. ??
What i need to know is can i continue the contract we have now for four full days care till end of december then start a new contract in jan?
He will be taken to nursery by his aunty and will be in my care from 11.30 till 4 so i think his mam is wanting to pay from 11.30 but i will be needed in hols from 8.30 so i will have to explain she will need to pay full days still - just dont want to rock the boat yet.
Should i just do a six month contract for now, i go on holiday in 10days and his contract will need to be renewed from the day i get back so need it sorting this week.
Help please!

jaja
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
hi

I would do a contract until dec then it gives you more time to think about what you want to do with the contract. I had a child that i dropped off and collected from preschool and then i had her full time in the hols and i spoke to ofsted and they give me a vairation to cover other children, so i didnt charge for the time she wasnt in my care, however, lots of childminders do charge

hope this kinda helps

xxxx

jumpinjen
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Many minders charge a half fee for the hours that children are at nursery to retain the place for the holidays and because they cannot fill the odd hours. Some minders also charge full for these hours. It is up to you to negotiate with mum an agreement that suits you both. If you are holding the fifth day for her until after December when she will need it then technically you could charge a retainer for that day as she is expecting you not to fill it so she can use it. I would suggest that you do a contract for six months.... you can add the date of review onto the current one with any additions or changes signed by you both and stapled on.... you don't have to totally rewrite it. reviews are often 6 monthly anyway. Perhaps it would be a good time to float some of the things you are thinking about to mum or to give her a printed list of charges and terms for her to mull over before December. You can start it with... 'in line with most childminders locally'...... or something PC like that!

good luck, Jen x

Marie-louise
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks!

Im going to ask parent in the morning to sign for continuty till end of Dec then discuss the rest nearer the time - anything could happen before then, will put it to the back of my mind for now and enjoy my week off.
Cheers x