PDA

View Full Version : Activities for 8 yo boy please

Helen Dempster
27-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I mind an 8yo boy, and all he really likes doing is drawing and playing with lego. He doesn't like being outside for very long and as soon as we get somewhere, he's asking to come home again :( However, I've got 3 other boys who want to be out ALL THE TIME, so it's not really fair keeping them all in to accommodate the 8yo. We do have some days where we don't go out and about, but the younger ones are usually out in the garden all day. How do you all accommodate everybody??

Any suggestions?

karensmart4
27-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Would be be up for drawing leaves, trees, things he see's while you're out. Would he have a clipboard and a pencil box?

What about a bug hunt, then ask him to draw the bugs, while the others have a kick around with a football?

I know its difficult, I have brothers 7yrs old and 10 yrs old and all they want to do is computer games, they hate going out. I took a group of children to our local woods, the boys kept complaining about having to walk (15mins max) then when I read Going on a Bear Hunt, they mimiced all the way through! I went with another minder and she took them on a spooky walk hunting for the Bear....not interested.
I said, I wanted them to find things to make a den.... no
I said, I wanted them to do something otherwise they couldn't go on their psp when we got back, they picked up a stick and said they had made a fishing rod..... Sometimes you just can't win!!

I know a good brick wall thats good for banging your head on :crying:

AnnieM
27-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Tuff spot tray and take the lego outside, let him colour and draw outside. ;) At that age I tend to let them get on with it if they don't want to join in with what we are doing, as long as it isn't watching tv constantly,or playing computer games etc.