PDA

View Full Version : Advice on starting Daily Diaries??

Bouncy_Princess
26-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Afternoon all!
Im going to introduce daily diaries in the near future & just wondered how everyone else has done them? I was thinking of just buying some small jotter type pads/books from WHSmith and just usung them?? Or is there a kind of 'official' way we should do them??
Also what sort of things do you put in them?? Im assuming its just a few lines on what that child has done with me that day? I do LJs too so not looking to start sticking photos in the DD or anything like that!
Thankyou!

venus89
26-07-2010, 03:10 PM
There's no right way to do them. I use a small notebook, like you suggested, and write what we've been doing today in them, including food and drink, nappies etc.

TammyN
26-07-2010, 03:11 PM
hi i get cheap little a6 size books from asda/wilkinsons.
in it i write what they have eaten, nappy times and product:laughing: , sleeps then i write a few activities they have done/enjoyed sometimes link loosely to a area if they have done something exciting! i will add the odd picture too if i print off enough, poss 1 a month of a fun activity/pose.
i only do my diary's for under school age, and i do share it with pre school if they attend, 1 even writes in it for me :clapping:
when full i save them and put them in their file for evidence for big O:thumbsup:

AnnieM
26-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I do mine exactly the same as TammyN, except I don't do photo's in them. :thumbsup: If it is just an emergency cover or very short term minding I just use loose sheets that I have printed off. I do tend to print out a picture of the childs favourite character, add their name, laminate it and stick it to the front of the diaries though as I find they look after them a bit better. :)

miffy
26-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I do mine on A4 sheets (2 days to each side) - they have space for anything parents tell me, what the child has had to eat, nappy changes if appropriate, what we've been doing, how the child's been etc. Nothing in great detail. Parents see and sign each evening and the completed sheets go in the back of the LJ's.

There is no right or wrong way, it's about getting a system that suits you

Miffy xx

TammyN
26-07-2010, 09:21 PM
hi i get cheap little a6 size books from asda/wilkinsons.
in it i write what they have eaten, nappy times and product:laughing: , sleeps then i write a few activities they have done/enjoyed sometimes link loosely to a area if they have done something exciting! i will add the odd picture too if i print off enough, poss 1 a month of a fun activity/pose.
i only do my diary's for under school age, and i do share it with pre school if they attend, 1 even writes in it for me :clapping:
when full i save them and put them in their file for evidence for big O:thumbsup:

forgot to mention i also use diary as 2-way communication with parents, it makes it easier on hand over times for parents if they forget to tell me something, they write it in the book before they come, with lo's it's usually last feed time, sleep and my toddler tells me what they have done over the weekend :thumbsup:

HomefromHome
26-07-2010, 09:25 PM
if you pm me your email address i'll email you mine - it will have my dd pic and name on it to save mindee confidentiality!;)

patevans
27-07-2010, 05:41 AM
I do sheets and bind them altogether, some read them some dont!

I cover -

nappys/potty
meals
drinks/milk
my comments
parent comments
sleep/rest times
what we have done today

:D

Bouncy_Princess
30-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Aahhh thanks for all your replies, its been a huge help! I had the BIG O this week so my daily diaries took a back seat but over the next week or 2 I hope you introduce them :laughing:
Thanks homefromhome I'll pm you now :)

shelly2012
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a small book too think I got it from pound shop, in it I right what we did, how they ate, slept etc. I tried to put in it everyting that I as a parent would want to know what my child had been doing.

i only do it for under 5 too.

Good luck