PDA

View Full Version : Working with a disability (MS)

PinkFairy24
25-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Good evening,

Am really stressing myself out here. Am halfway though sending all the forms off to Ofsted but am so worried about my health check :( I am making myself so ill just thinking about it. :panic:

I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS 3 years ago, this is the mildest form as a relapse can come and hopefully go. I have had 2 relapses, both in pregnancy. One I had halfway through the pregnancy which is very unusual, as well as one about 3 weeks after the birth. The second relapse was sadly expected as it is much more common. I couldn't walk and had to take 5 days of steroids. I did recover pretty quickly though.

I am now back on daily injections (Copaxone) which are to help reduce the risk of a relapse. I couldn't take these during pregnancy so am hoping that I won't have a relapse now.

I am just about to send off the health declaration and am so worried that I won't be seen to be fit to look after children. I have very good health normally. Was just thinking what do childminders do when they are ill or needing to go to a hospital appointment? I guess I can't say that I will be in perfect health every day, but wanting to please ask if anyone knows anything about this?

I have seen a few doctors at the practice so don't really know if I should ask to see one in particular (there is no difference really) or if I should just give the form in to the receptionist and they pick a doctor for me?

Thanking you so much for your help, loads of love, Claire X x X

sarah707
26-07-2010, 06:47 AM
If Ofsted flag up any health concerns on your initial medical check forms, they write to your doc with a follow up questionnaire.

It asks, among other things, whether your doc thinks you could cope with your full quota of children during a busy working day.

I would suggest the best thing you could do is to make an appointment to see your doc now and ask him what he might put.

Also you can see the forms before they are sent off so you will know what the doc has said.

Good luck with your application. Let us know how you get on! :D

Toothfairy
26-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I've had Heart Surgery and I have a replacement Knee. I was worried that this would effect my becoming registered but they just wrote to my Dr and everything was ok.

I'm sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

angeldelight
26-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Good evening,

Am really stressing myself out here. Am halfway though sending all the forms off to Ofsted but am so worried about my health check :( I am making myself so ill just thinking about it. :panic:

I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS 3 years ago, this is the mildest form as a relapse can come and hopefully go. I have had 2 relapses, both in pregnancy. One I had halfway through the pregnancy which is very unusual, as well as one about 3 weeks after the birth. The second relapse was sadly expected as it is much more common. I couldn't walk and had to take 5 days of steroids. I did recover pretty quickly though.

I am now back on daily injections (Copaxone) which are to help reduce the risk of a relapse. I couldn't take these during pregnancy so am hoping that I won't have a relapse now.

I am just about to send off the health declaration and am so worried that I won't be seen to be fit to look after children. I have very good health normally. Was just thinking what do childminders do when they are ill or needing to go to a hospital appointment? I guess I can't say that I will be in perfect health every day, but wanting to please ask if anyone knows anything about this?

I have seen a few doctors at the practice so don't really know if I should ask to see one in particular (there is no difference really) or if I should just give the form in to the receptionist and they pick a doctor for me?

Thanking you so much for your help, loads of love, Claire X x X

Hi Claire

Hope you are ok sorry to hear you have been in poor health

I have had a few things wrong over the years and have had to go into hospital a number of times and had lots of hospital appointments. I work around my families and book days off for this - parents have always been understanding

I would do what Sarah suggested and go and have a chat with your doc - thats what I did.

I am sure everything will be fine

Good luck let us know what he says

Angel xxx

PinkFairy24
26-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Aww thank you so much for the replies :)

I was going to write something and put it in an envelope with the form, but then I think it would be better to see a doctor and talk with them? There are about 9 at the practice and I have seen a few on and off, but I guess they will all be about the same. It would be better to talk to one and see their response as then I would have a guess at what they would write! I am going to ask to look at the report before they send it though :)

I was reading a post about how much the report can cost and I was shocked! LOL! Where I am now though I would be so happy to pay anything just so that I can pass!! I know that MS comes under the disability act so I am hoping that they might say ok but limit the numbers I can take. This is ok with me as I wasn't looking to have 6!!

Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens ;) Love Claire X x X

jumpinjen
26-07-2010, 08:58 AM
You could put into place an action plan for if you have a relapse, including a list of potential cover arrangements, as well as cover for appointments that parents agree too.... if you can be seen to be managing it then ofsted will look favourably on your pro-active approach!

Good luck, Jenni:)

PinkFairy24
26-07-2010, 12:02 PM
That is an excellent idea!

How do I find other childminders to cover for me? Stupid question I know! Do parents have to meet up with them first to make sure they are happy?

Love Claire X x X

jumpinjen
26-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I would call your local families information service and ask them for a list of childminders within a 2 mile radius of your postcode, then call some of them and explain that you are registering and that you don't know other minders at the moment but would like to have some cover options available for your prospective parents and would they be interested in it? you could suggest a meeting between yoursleves as you should kind of chime with the care they offer if you are offering them as an alternative to parents! If cover does then need to be found then you give the list to the parents to call, you wouldn't call them. You could also contact local nurseries too so parents have flexible options. remember that this is a fall back! Most minders also have an 'incase of emergency' contact that could come and be with/help with the children if say you had a serious accident whilst caring for the children!

Hope that helps!

jenni

Blaze
26-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Excellent advice already given:thumbsup: Just wondered where you are based - as there may be other forum members near you that coukld be your emergency contacts...?:)

PinkFairy24
26-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Aww thank you all so much for your advice! It is so good to be able to come here and get some help :jump for joy:

I live In Sidcup, Kent. Hehe, I'm actually Welsh, but moved to London and met my husband here and have stayed :laughing:

It would be good to know other childminders near me, thanks again for all your support :)

Loads of love, Claire X x X