PDA

View Full Version : school v nursery places?

jodi-anna
24-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a child starting in September.

Before Nursery 7.30-9am and after Nursery 2.59-5.30pm+ 5 days a week.

(This parent 'may' require holiday places too.)

As the child will be at nursery and not school do I charge for that place or not? I read a previous thread back in June where it was suggested that the c.m does not charge when a child is over 5yrs and attending school.

However, this child is only 3 but attending full-time nursery. I believe that the nursery sessions are funded so will that make a difference as to whether I can charge or not?

Need to get this sorted so any suggestions would be fantastic.:jump for joy:THANK YOU

green puppy
24-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I would charge a whole day as you are having the child before and after nursery. You may not find another under 5 to fill those hours to make up for the loss of income, also this means the space is always available on nursery closure days and holidays. You don't charge for over 5's spaces during school because it does not stop you filling your under 5 spaces. From september 15 hours would be funded but if the parents are paying a top up then thats up to them really, they could send the child back to you after the funded sessions instead.

The Juggler
24-07-2010, 09:01 PM
i would normally say charge as it is a precious under 5 space and it' sunlikely you'll fill it.

However, I also have a 5 hour min charge. In this case I might be tempted to do an increased rate for the hours she needs as well as the unsocial hours charge for 0730-0800 and I wouldn't be much worse off than a parent paying for a normal 7 hour day.

You also never know as I've had several 0900-1500 children previously so you might pick one up.

clio0602
24-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I have this problem in sep as my 3yo is starting full time nursery. I charge for a min of 5hrs for an under5 so will be £20 a day also have 6yo sibling so didn't want to overcharge as their is a v cheap wraparound club at school.

Looking forward to spending school hours with dd and new mindee who coming adhoc days 10-2 :D

judisteve
24-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I guess you need to check if you are the one who will be the emergency contact for the nursery hours. If you are then you will need to be keeping the space open for LO so could therefore justify charging for it (maybe at a reduced rate?)

blue bear
29-07-2010, 08:53 PM
If a child is at preschool/nursery but needs days keeping for holidays etc I charge for the whole day.

If I can cover some of the time they are at nursery with a temp child I do and then refund nursery child's parent.

I would not want to tie up a whole day with before and after nursery, can't afford it, but if someone else asks for 9-3 I would take it on and only charge nursery parent for wrap around care, no guarantee of holiday cover though.

hope this makes sense.