PDA

View Full Version : Landlord

girlface
24-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Hiya.

Im currently renting privately - and Im desperate to set up my CM business as I had to put it off last year - do I need written permission from the Landlord to show the owner ? Do I even need permission as I will only be doing school runs to start with?

I ask because my Estate Agent is a total pain in the you know what, and the LL lives in Australia so I have no contact details for LL and for all I know the EA could just say no without even asking.

Vyx
25-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi

The "offical" line is that you need written permission although I have never been asked for it (I am in private rented too). Mrs Ofsted did ask me verbally if I had permission from the Landlord (which I have) and she was satisfied with that.

I would suggest that, as you don't have the same kind of relationship with your Landlord as I do with mine (she has been to visit and texts occasionally just to make sure everything is OK but she pretty much leaves me alone) you do get it in writing from the EA. Just to cover your back :) Do you have an email contact for them? If you can get them to respond in email then that would be enough.

When we were looking for a new place and saw the one we are living in now, I did ask the lettings agency straight away about the childminding and do have an email (somewhere lol) confirming that would be fine.

HTH

Vyx
x

rickysmiths
25-07-2010, 11:33 AM
You must get written permission. You must formally ask your landlord or their agent in writing because you may, by running a business from the property be unwittingly breaking the terms of their Mortgage and or the Lease. Your Landlord will need to confirm permission from the Freeholders of the property as well.

If you don't get these permissions in writing this could then invalidate your Public Liability Insurance.

I don't want to dissappoint you but I have been a Director on the board of a Freehold Company of the flat I owned for 25yrs. I must say we never had a problem with Childminding (I wonder why :blush: ). The reason there is usually a Clause in the Lease preventing a business being run is to protect the other residents. It doesn't mean no one can ever work from home which is what we do.