PDA

View Full Version : smoke alarm installation

gillmarei
21-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Hello,
can anyone help me, my friend is a qualified electrician who was going to fit my smoke alarms and heat detector but i have just found out you need a certificate to state that it has been installed to BS 5389 and my friend can't produce one. How do you go about getting these certificates?

MiniDarlings
22-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I got mine installed by a fireman for free, they gave me 2 ten year alarms, im not sure if that is because im in a council houise though?
I would phone the fire brigade (non emergency number obviously lol) and see if they have any advice, or google it
Hope this helps. good luck x

brightstar
22-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I had mine installed by the fire brigade too, and I own my own house. So I think anybody can get it done. They were brilliant and went through loads of safety things too. Well worth getting in touch with them.

fionamal
22-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Ive just had mine fitted in the new house by a qualified electrician who automatically gave a certificate of conformity to enable the fire brigade to come out and inspect and please the Care Commission so I can have that house registered.

rickysmiths
22-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I got mine installed by a fireman for free, they gave me 2 ten year alarms, im not sure if that is because im in a council houise though?
I would phone the fire brigade (non emergency number obviously lol) and see if they have any advice, or google it
Hope this helps. good luck x

No you don't have to be in a council house I had two fitted by the Fire Brigade two years ago.

However the Fire Brigade do not fit hard wired alarms only battery ones and they will only check they are in the right place not check if they are electrically safe. I would say if your friend is not qualified to issue a certificate he perhaps should not do the job and you need to get a qualified electrician who will issue one to do it.

I am having all my alarms hard wired as part of having a large extension built. The Fire Brigade visited last week to confirm we had alarms in the right place and enough of them you now have to have a moisture detector in any new kitchens as well. They said they will come out again when all the work is complete and we are fully moved back in and do a full check.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2010, 01:30 PM
My DH runs and electrical wholesalers so I have asked him the question

For an electrician to work he needs to be qualified and registered for Part B.

If you friend is not Part B registered then he cannot issue certificates.

You need a Part B registered electrician to do the work or be willing to sign off your friends work