PDA

View Full Version : Flexi time placement what would you charge?!

Hayley G
20-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I have had an enquiry for a baby almost a year - which is what I have been looking for - the mum mentioned it would be 7.30-5.30 Monday-Thursday but her husband works shifts so are looking for a CM to be flexible.

His shift patterns mean that one week I would be needed 1 day, another week 2 days, another 3 days and finally 4 days a week and would be given 2 weeks notice of the shift pattern.

My question is does anyone have any advice on whether shift work mindees are ok or do you find it a pain - Ideally looking for another child in the day but dont want to regret jumping in with the first option and end up shooting myself in the foot. Also what would you charge?:panic:

Thanks Hayley

MAWI
20-07-2010, 06:27 PM
So that would mean that you have to hold the space for four days but only have one days pay on week one.
Unless you can find another person who will slot in on the days that they dont use ( which is not going to happen) then I would be inclined to charge them or at least look at 50% for the days that baby does not attend.
I look after a LO who attends 4 days a week but on fridays, its alternative weeks. I have put a contracted amount per week as it would get to confusing especially as MUM is a bit vague with which fridays she will attend.

Maybe you could look at the total hours in a four week period ( 4 week pattern) and then set a contracted amount of hours they pay regardless of how many days.

It's a tough one. I never seem to get straight forward parents either. Good luck:)

Im sure someone with more knowledge may come along soon and solve your problem

ManicMum
21-07-2010, 10:53 AM
All I get are enquiries from shift workers. This is fairly deprived area so often people are getting jobs in nursing homes in particular which means shift working. I feel sorry for them as it's minimum wage but they often require full time space. I had one woman who wanted me available 7 days a week but only wanted to pay me for exactly the number of hours she worked. When I explaiined how thigns worked she wasn't happy and didn't come back. She didn't even want to pay extra for weekends or evenings.

They are a total pain. You try to work around it but it's hard.

If you not desperate to get full time wage, the averaging out idea sounds good idea.

good luck!

Polly2
21-07-2010, 11:19 AM
It is very difficult isn't it.

I have a mindee who's mum works shifts. I do only charge for what she uses but a minimum amount each month. I also have a variation in place that allows me to up my numbers on the days she comes. This was for continuation of care as I used to care for her brother.

caz3007
21-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a LO whose parents work in retail and the hours vary each week. I only charge for the hours used but with a minimum each week. They pay by Standing order for the mininum and then pay for any extra by cheque as needed.

I owe her 2.5 hours this week and need her to tell me if she needs them, if not she forfeits them. Not going to chase her up though

Chatterbox Childcare
21-07-2010, 01:45 PM
If you have to hold the full week then why not set a minimum payment for the week, maybe 2.5 days and then if she uses you more invoice the extra.

I know it isn't ideal but I cannot see anyone paying for a full week and that way you could work 1 day and be paid for 2.5.