PDA

View Full Version : 2 bed no garden?

keeks
20-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi, I know this question has been up here before, but I would like to ask again. Am I likely to be registered for a full 6 children in a reasonably sized 2 bed flat? I haven't got a garden, but we are close to a huge park with wild garden and playground, close to beach, other parks etc. I know I will need to to show Ofsted that I will take mindees out on daily outings - one of the reasons why I want to start childminding is to be able to go places and do things rather than constantly being tied down to a nursery environment. I am originally Scandinavian and being outdoors in all weathers is genetic I think. :)

I am planning to work with a co-childminder from my home, so we would really need as many mindees as possible to cover us both. I am doing this more for the love of working in early years education than money, but we will have to pay our bills.

Has anyone been registered for full numbers in a 2 bedroom house or flat?

Andrea08
20-07-2010, 05:04 PM
its the area used for minding that ofsted look and measure hun,,

if it only a small room and outings you could be reduced in numbers you can care for,, some1 with the know will come soon with a better answer ok xx

Dare4Distance
20-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I live in a 2 bedroom first floor flat with no garden and I was told I can have the maximum number of children they allocate. We do have one of the bedrooms as a playroom though.

rickysmiths
20-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I lived in a large 3 bed flat for 10 years and Social Services and the Ofsted would only reg me for a total of 4 under 8s incl my own. It was nothing to do with size, the flat was bigger in area than the local semis. It was because of getting out in an emergency and having to get downstairs.

keeks
20-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys, I was intending to register the whole flat. It's got only one flight of stairs going straight to the front door as it is a converted house (is that the right expression??). Less than 4 children there is no way we can live off the money, so I'm really hoping that they will let me have a whole bunch :D

Rickysmiths, did you have lots of stairs or just the one flight?

I was planning to use the lounge for my main room, my bedroom mainly for sleepers, the boys room for play and my awesome corridor for play too with cars and ballgames etc. In theory it will be awesome :idea:

x

SaijaM
21-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi there!

Where abouts you are from in Scandinavia? I'm from Finland :)

I have a 2 bedroom flat, registered the whole house and when Ofsted lady came to visit, she granted me 6 kids, so full registration I believe! :clapping: I'm sure you can get it too.. and oh, I don't have a garden either, but loads of parks around etc. like you do...

xx Saija

keeks
21-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you, that's really promising, Saija! I'm from Sweden (Sundsvall, ferry access to Finland!!!), I did see your name in some other thread and thought you would be from Finland. :)

Nice to meet a fellow Scandinavian on here :D This is the first summer I'm not going home since moving here a few years ago - I'm really missing my auntie and the lovely nature :( At least I've got IKEA an hour away, and they do salt liquorice too!!! :jump for joy:
xx

SaijaM
21-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Hej!

I LOVE salt liqourice!! MMMM. Going to Finland next week, so can't wait to eat mountains of it!! :)

I also love Kopparberg (actually having one now!) ..

Hope all goes well for you, I'm sure it will :clapping:

Ha det bra,
Saija xx

samb
22-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I have a good sized 2 bed flat - bed 1 is approx 14x14, bed 2 is approx 12x12, living area is approx 13x22 and I have a small communal outdoor space. 1 flight of stairs up to front door. I have been registered for 2 children (excluding my 2 so 4 in total).

Monkey26
22-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Ground floor 2 bedroom flat - i am registered for max children and also have a variation for four of them to be under 5years :thumbsup: Good Luck! xx

rickysmiths
22-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was intending to register the whole flat. It's got only one flight of stairs going straight to the front door as it is a converted house (is that the right expression??). Less than 4 children there is no way we can live off the money, so I'm really hoping that they will let me have a whole bunch :D

Rickysmiths, did you have lots of stairs or just the one flight?

I was planning to use the lounge for my main room, my bedroom mainly for sleepers, the boys room for play and my awesome corridor for play too with cars and ballgames etc. In theory it will be awesome :idea:

x

Yes one flight to the front door and one to the back door. I had a 16 x 12 foot sitting room, 23ft long hall, a 12ft square kitchen and three bedrooms 16 x12ft, 8 x12ft and 10 x 10ft. We also had a reasonable sized fenced off garden and a huge communal garden.

I certainly would have had room for 6 under 8s but I wouldn't have wanted more than 3 under fives at the same time. Having 6 5-8s or older would have been pushing it even in my flat they are big and need more space to maove around than the little ones even though they could walk down the stairs competently.

There was a fire in the flat next door and I was very glad I only had my two at home at the time, I could have carried one but the thought of more than that would have been unthinkable. In those circumstances you just have to get out, no buggies, no coats, shoes, changing bags, just out.

How would you deal with more than one non walker then, or carry a non walker and guide 2 other just walkers down the stairs very quickly?

It may be dissappointing but I would really give it some thought. We were unusual having a back and a front stairs, both proper stairs. I suspect you may only have the front door? Maybe you could borrow some friends children for the day and ask a friend to randomly call an emergency get out and have a practice.

If there are two of you of course escape would be a bit easier but then you have to consider two adults in the space and the children. Is it worth paying another childminder (you would have to employ her if she worked more than 15 hrs with you) in relation to the total of 6 children you actually need a good amount of space for that many children all day every day.

keeks
30-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, it sounds like there is still hope then :)

Good point about the fire escape procedure, it is well worth practicing with some borrowed little people. There will be two of us here so that should make a difference.

Oh and my friend and I want to be co-childminders running the business together, does one really have to employ the other then? I forgot to ask this at the pre reg briefing today... :o

Thanks again! :D