PDA

View Full Version : Dont want to work with parent - HELP!

EmmaW
19-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi I need some advise please

A parent came to see me today about minding her 11 year old after school. We didnt 'click' from the start and I dont think we would have a good relationship if I did take the child on. I dont want to work with them but not sure how to get out if it politely.
Any suggestions???

singlewiththree
19-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Could the space suddenly not be available?

funfunfun
19-07-2010, 07:26 PM
You had a visit from someone else the previous day who have decided to use you , with this you feel you couldnt possiblt take on any more that age :)

Ripeberry
19-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I so wish I could use excuses like this but in a small village, lots of people can report back on me :( Maybe take him on for 4 weeks (trial) and if it does not work out then at least you tried :)

The Juggler
19-07-2010, 08:57 PM
can you say you're not sure you'd have enough to occupy an 11 year old as you've lots of younger children.

Stillgoingstrong
20-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Hi I need some advise please

A parent came to see me today about minding her 11 year old after school. We didnt 'click' from the start and I dont think we would have a good relationship if I did take the child on. I dont want to work with them but not sure how to get out if it politely.
Any suggestions???

I had exactly this over the weekend and all I did was take the chickens way out and text the mum saying I was really sorry but that soemthing had come up and that I wouldnt be able to look after so-and-so after all.:D She phoned - i didnt pick up - and was a bit p'd off, but i just knew that we would have "issues" and it just wasnt worth getting into. You have to feel comfortable with everyone involved, and i just didnt feel it with her.:)

EmmaW
20-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks all think Im gonna text and say somethings come up. I will give it a try but she seems the type to come back and see me - maybe I will move lol!

No seriously I will text with some excuse and see what happens.

I think this is the hardest part of the job so far!!

Millenium
20-07-2010, 07:33 AM
It is a 2-way thing. I have heard parents say that they have some decisions to make about their choice of childminder without giving any thought to the notion that the childminder must also want to work with them - just because the minder has vacancies it is not only the decision of the parent as to whether or not the child will go to that minder - the minder has to be happy too.

Personally, after the initial meeting at my house, I ask for the second meeting to take place at the mindees house so that I can see what sort of home environment the child comes from.

Maybe you could day that one of your existing mindees will be increasing hours although as you say you live in a small village, and you will not be able to hide the truth then maybe you should just say you have changed your mind about taking on any additional work at this time.

onceinabluemoon
20-07-2010, 07:42 AM
You could always use the old chestnut "personal reasons" and say you're very sorry but that for personal reasons you are not able to take on any over 8s at the moment.

HELEN10
20-07-2010, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Millenium;748390]It is a 2-way thing. I have heard parents say that they have some decisions to make about their choice of childminder without giving any thought to the notion that the childminder must also want to work with them - just because the minder has vacancies it is not only the decision of the parent as to whether or not the child will go to that minder - the minder has to be happy too.

I agree we don't always know why a parent chooses another childminder over us.

Go with what you feel, just say something like after weighing things up you don't feel that you can accomodate her child after all. Better now than feeling like this after you have started with child.