PDA

View Full Version : wwyd?

crazyhazy
18-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I had an enquiry a few weeks back which I wasn't sure if I could do cos I would need a variation but the mum seemed keen so I checked with my cco and she said it would be fine. I called and explained to the parent who said she would email the hours she would require so I could give her a price etc.

So, this past week emails have been going back and forwards, she's looking for 3 days with drop off and pick up from preschool (great cos my little girl goes there too and it's next door etc so handy) from aug till sept and then it will be 4 days, 2 of which she'll drop at preschool and I'll collect. I have given her the fees, I am charging for when mindee is at preschool but only the days I drop and collect.

She has replied saying she is waiting on replys from nurserys aswell cos I am more expensive, although she appreciates I include snacks and lunch whereas the nursery doesn't. From the tone of her emails I get the impression she is looking for me to offer not to charge for when he's at preschool or make some offer to reduce my fees in some way.

So, what would you do? I could really do with the work, would mean a big difference to us financially, plus I'm not sure I'd get the variation for another child cos it will only be from march when my baby mindee who has already signed etc starts until this one goes to school in aug. At the moment I have replied saying I understand she needs to consider her options etc and that I do take childcare vouchers aswell, plus I'll let her know if I get any other enquiries.

Mookins
18-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I had an enquiry a few weeks back which I wasn't sure if I could do cos I would need a variation but the mum seemed keen so I checked with my cco and she said it would be fine. I called and explained to the parent who said she would email the hours she would require so I could give her a price etc.

So, this past week emails have been going back and forwards, she's looking for 3 days with drop off and pick up from preschool (great cos my little girl goes there too and it's next door etc so handy) from aug till sept and then it will be 4 days, 2 of which she'll drop at preschool and I'll collect. I have given her the fees, I am charging for when mindee is at preschool but only the days I drop and collect.

She has replied saying she is waiting on replys from nurserys aswell cos I am more expensive, although she appreciates I include snacks and lunch whereas the nursery doesn't. From the tone of her emails I get the impression she is looking for me to offer not to charge for when he's at preschool or make some offer to reduce my fees in some way.
So, what would you do? I could really do with the work, would mean a big difference to us financially, plus I'm not sure I'd get the variation for another child cos it will only be from march when my baby mindee who has already signed etc starts until this one goes to school in aug. At the moment I have replied saying I understand she needs to consider her options etc and that I do take childcare vouchers aswell, plus I'll let her know if I get any other enquiries.

i wouldnt offer anything unless she actually asked you...am sure the money would be perfect but dont undecut yourself x x

green puppy
18-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Does she need holiday care for those nursery hours? Or what happens on inset days or times when the nursery may have to close suddenly? Explain that you charge the time he is at pre school because you are keeping a space for him, not charging for actual hours. And as you also provide food I think this is fair, I would also be charging for the days that mum was dropping off as I could not fill the 2 hours with another child. You could charge a retainer fee for those hours as a compromise but to be honest I would stick to what you have told her.

FussyElmo
18-07-2010, 08:22 PM
What happens if you didnt get the variation.

crazyhazy
18-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I think you're right, just needed to hear it from someone else! Wil stick to my guns and see what she says, she needs childcare from the 19th aug when the schools go back so she only has a couple more weeks to work out what she's doing.

Re the variation, my cco has told me it's up to her to agree it and she has no problems doing so, so shouldn't be any problem.

miffy
18-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I think she's on a fishing trip! Keep quiet and see what happens - I would be surprised if overall the nursery was less expensive!

Miffy xx

crazyhazy
18-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I think she's on a fishing trip! Keep quiet and see what happens - I would be surprised if overall the nursery was less expensive!

Miffy xx

Me too, thing is I've worked it out, there are only 3 nurseries nearby, one she is using and is unhappy with hence looking elsewhere, the other two I know their fees as my eldest and my neice have been to them and I know they are more expensive cos they'll charge her a day rate, rather than just the hours she needs.

Kelly
18-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Re the variation, my cco has told me it's up to her to agree it and she has no problems doing so, so shouldn't be any problem.

I take it your CCO is your development Officer, can I ask why it is up to her to agree your variation? I am under the impression that only Ofsted can authorise a variation

crazyhazy
18-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I take it your CCO is your development Officer, can I ask why it is up to her to agree your variation? I am under the impression that only Ofsted can authorise a variation

I'm in scotland, my cco is my care commission officer, that's who registers us here.

Kelly
19-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm in scotland, my cco is my care commission officer, that's who registers us here.

Thought it must be something simple! I didn't know that's how it works in Scotland, thanks