PDA

View Full Version : risk assessing house

keeks
16-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

I am in very early stages of becoming a CM. It is a bit of a scary thing to do, giving up a reasonably paying job for something uncertain. :eek: I do think it would be a good move for me though.

I hope someone can help me with how to solve the cabling situation in the lounge. Are multiplugs ok? What about tv and computer leads, would they have to be nailed to the wall or can they be loose? Oh, and I suppose I need to take my little lamps off the window sills?

I have got mirror wardrobes in one room, can I use that sticky plastic stuff on them and use that room? What about a mirror on the wall? I've got quite a big one in the lounge. And in the kitchen, do you need one of those cooker guard things? And I've got glass doors on three of my top kitchen cupboards.

Oh, there are hundreds of questions - one step at a time! :)

pinkbutterfly
17-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow you are thinking about it early. I would just wait and see what children I get. I have three of my own children and and I haven't got any of this stuff in place. I did riskasses though.
Cables can be very attractive for little toddlers but an older child would probably not bother as there are more exciting things to play with. You must be careful with multiplugs as overloaded pose a fire danger.
The same with mirrors ... I guess they are properly hung ... not stuck on with blutac lol
I don't have a cooker guard but I never leave children unsupervised when I'm using my cooker. They are either there with me or we're in a different room.
As long as you have identified possible dangers that's what matters.
I have put those special locks on my drawers with dangerous objects like knifes etc
You should revise your risk assesment each time a new child is about to join your setting this way you'll have an opportunity to decide if you need to make any safety alterations to your home.
HTH

keeks
17-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, yes it is early I know... I got a bit worked up thinking of pre reg visit, if I had to put everything in place before that. But I take it from your nice chilled out approach I only have to have risk assessed the house and have a plan in place? :)

pinkbutterfly
18-07-2010, 02:02 AM
That's correct. My inspector during the visit asked to see my house risk assesment and that was it really. They do understand that at the end of the day it's your home ... of course it should be safe but you don't have to get worked up about safety as I said a lot will depend on what children you get to look after. For example there's no point in fitting stair gates if you have 2.5 year olds or older as they will be fine going up and down the stairs.
Good luck.