PDA

View Full Version : Foundation degree in early years

clio0602
16-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Hiya just wondering if anyone has done/ doing this with OU? Just found out that I can get 100% funding :D for this so would definately like to do it. Just wondering how long? how much time it takes and if its useful to do if anyone has any info. Thanks x

Pipsqueak
16-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Yep several of us on here have done EYFD - OU and classroom based. I was classroom based.

Go for it if you have the funding. I have found it extremely benefiical and interesting. I am now going onto my third year top up degree.

manjay
16-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I would go for it. I have just finished the first year in the classroom and I have loved it. I decided OU wasn't the route for me but I would definitely recommend giving it a go

gigglinggoblin
16-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I am thinking about this too but wondering how many hours a week you need to study as my 3yo currently never sleeps. Would be interested to hear how much time other people needed (I would also have to do OU)

Pipsqueak
16-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I have no idea of study time for OU but as classroom based we were advised a minimum of 12hrs per week - in reality I am guessing that I put in anywhere between 15-20hrs per week.
I studied of an evening and late into the night, weekends and my day off! I actually work better late into the night - my brain seems to kick in more when I should be sleeping. Odd I know.

The Juggler
16-07-2010, 01:13 PM
a friend investigated the OU route and it can take up to 4 years as opposed to 2 years when classroom based so depends if you want to take your time or not.

I averaged around 10 hours a week over the year, some weeks hardly any (if away for weekends), some weeks more and loads more just before hand in dates! Like Pip, I had a day off for study between school runs anyhow.

clio0602
16-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Hmmm I know they do a classroom based one but it starts at 1pm so not really feasible at the mo as working ful time term time. Although will have 21/2days a wk child free as will be free during school hours.

Was hoping it would be quicker with OU but 4 yrs sounds like forever and would prefer classroom based aswel.

Hmmm have to look into it a bit more :)

manjay
16-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Hmmm I know they do a classroom based one but it starts at 1pm so not really feasible at the mo as working ful time term time. Although will have 21/2days a wk child free as will be free during school hours.

Was hoping it would be quicker with OU but 4 yrs sounds like forever and would prefer classroom based aswel.

Hmmm have to look into it a bit more :)

Our local Uni has started to do complete distance learning. At present I do half at home and half in the classroom but from September it will all be home based. We have 3 day sessions a year where we meet up to get to know each other and to get our work for the term. the rest is done at home. Trouble is it has been advertised widely and is massively over subscribed for this year. Not a million miles away from you though so that option is always there for next year if you fancied that route.

My problem with OU was only being allowed to read what they want you to. I like to read and use what I want:D but each to their own.

Mrs M
16-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm starting mine with OU in October, fully funded as well. I've been told it's about 10 hours study time per week. Slightly nervous about it but also can't wait to get stuck in. I have two children of my own and work full time so fitting in will be difficult but once Big Brother's finished, I won't be glued to the telly every night!

carol cameron
16-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I went to my graduation ceremony today having just finished my Foundation Degree in Education and Care last month . It was hard work studying as I work full time but it is do-able. I went to lectures two nights a week and studied at home on evenings and weekends. It got a bit more demanding when assignments were due in but I think the sense of achievement you feel is worth it all. I am going onto the third year so it must be bearable. If anyone is thinking about it I would say go for it !:)

clio0602
16-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm starting mine with OU in October, fully funded as well. I've been told it's about 10 hours study time per week. Slightly nervous about it but also can't wait to get stuck in. I have two children of my own and work full time so fitting in will be difficult but once Big Brother's finished, I won't be glued to the telly every night!

I was hoping to start in October but not sure when the cut off for applications was. Yes and BB is taking up alot of my time at the mo. Writing up obs and watching BB at the same time is not the best idea! :blush:

selena 31
16-07-2010, 07:44 PM
i've just finished my first year with ou it was tough depending on your tutor it was i would say around 12 hrs per week at least . i am considering doing the rest at colllege classroom based as didnt get the support i needed ( never saw tutor or had phone calls from her) but it is flexible that you can do the ou way at your own set times its hard to know whats best.

TammyN
16-07-2010, 08:44 PM
im doing it part time at uni and do class room work 5-9 1 night per week and then research, etc about 10hrs per week, 2 nights and 1 morning. im just going into my 3rd and final year.
i love it and have really found it interesting, id say go for it :clapping:

manjay
16-07-2010, 08:45 PM
im doing it part time at uni and do class room work 5-9 1 night per week and then research, etc about 10hrs per week, 2 nights and 1 morning. im just going into my 3rd and final year.
i love it and have really found it interesting, id say go for it :clapping:

Which Uni do you go to Tammy?

Playmate
18-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I started with the OU 3 yrs ago and to be honest it was a nightmare and I gave up after my first assignment. Tutor was hopeless and tutorials were 80 miles away. I'm now considering starting again, but class room based. I was planning to start in Sept 2011, however If I start this year I wil be fully funded and there is no guarentee for next year. I will be ringing the college tomorrow to find out all the details :panic:

TammyN
18-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Which Uni do you go to Tammy?

HI IM REGISTERED WITH hUDDERSFIELD UNI, :blush: ooops caps i study at St Helens college and am really enjoying it. i would have really struggled with ou, im not disciplined enough, i need the support of my tutor each week to keep me on track.

Shivvie
18-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi. I've just finished my first year with the OU and found it quite interesting; not particularly difficult, but very time-consuming. I didn't go to any tutorials but found the online forum quite helpful, and it also helped that my husband did the course with me so we could chat about it.

The downside to the OU is that it will take 4 years altogether to complete the FD if you don't double up on courses and, to be honest, I don't think I would have the time or the inclination to do that!

We got the whole course funded and we've just applied for funding for our second year, although neither of us are sure whether or not we want to carry on. The E100 is a level 4 qualification so it hadn't been a waste of time, but hubby is all for stopping now and will only carry on if I do. I'm not really sure why I'm doing it - just to get a degree I suppose, but I won't do anything with it that I'm not already doing! :rolleyes:

Good luck with what you decide, sorry I've waffled on a bit - I got carried away! x

manjay
19-07-2010, 11:11 AM
HI IM REGISTERED WITH hUDDERSFIELD UNI, :blush: ooops caps i study at St Helens college and am really enjoying it. i would have really struggled with ou, im not disciplined enough, i need the support of my tutor each week to keep me on track.

I was just wondering how close to me you were but I guess you on the other side of Cheshire:rolleyes:

kathymummy2
24-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Hiya, i have just applied to Edge hill uni for Early years foundation degree. I got two boys aged 3 and 1. I had an operation earlier in the year and its taking me longer to recover than i thought, i have a part time job in a leisure centre which i hate and really wanted to fo this degree but never thought i could manage it with the kids.
I was looking at doing it part time until i found out id get it fully funded. My main money was the kids though and finding the time to study as my current childminder retires in aug. Edge hill have been great though, ive been bombarding them with messages about hours etc. It seems to be about 2 half days at uni and 1-2 half days at placement plus obv study at home. I applied for student finance and have been told i am eligible for a child care grant and maintenance grant of up to 3000 (these dont have to be paid back).
If i get accepted the plan is to put my youngest in nursery 2 half days and my 3 year old will be in nursery school every morn anyway. Im also gona give up my job to comcentrate on study.
Where abouts do u live? if Edge hill is an option for you they have an open day on 21st aug. I aslo did an openings course with the ou and never once spoke to my tutor on the phone she only ever emailed me. I found it really hard trying to study in the house and would rather have sumwhere to go to concentrate without being surrounded by housework! hope this helps x

piglet1973
29-07-2010, 07:27 PM
hi im doing this via distance learning just gettin to end of writing tma 02 but need an implication from talking about key person and special relationships in baby room at lark centre painting and mirror play any help welcomne