PDA

View Full Version : Going for Eyps? Read this first!

sarah707
15-07-2010, 12:42 PM
There has been a lot of talk recently about whether Eyps is going to be sustainable / funded in the future.

Sarah Teather, the new minister in charge of these things, has been interviewed by Nursery World Magazine this week.

One of the questions asked was...

NW: Is there a commitment to maintain the plan to have an Early Years Professional in every setting?

And her answer was...

ST: We are just working with CWDC to launch a new programme called Top Graduates, which is a bit like TeachFirst, to encourage graduates to go into early years settings. I think quality is really important, and we'll have to look especially within the context of the spending review at how we can encourage quality in the sector.

You can read the full interview on the Nursery World website - put 'Sarah Teather' into the 'news' search box.

:D

miffy
15-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks Sarah - will have a look later

Question nicely side-stepped there by the politician :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

The Juggler
15-07-2010, 08:43 PM
thanks Sarah. I was just reading this this afternoon. I have been thinking about putting of EYPS anyhow. How do you class a Top Graduate?? I think I'm putting my efforts on hold until I know what they are doing.

It seems however, like they want similar things as Labour did, early years wise but just REFUSE to call it the same thing and are just renaming everything:panic:

It would be such a shame for those who have done EYPS but I reckon if settings in future apply for Top Graduates, that anyone with EYPS will probably win out over other candidates.

It's going to be a waiting game.:(

Pipsqueak
15-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I knew it .... I blooming well knew it - vindicated!
Thank you for that Sarah, i am glad i haven't pushed for EYPS now on my third year.
I will watch this with interest

TheBTeam
15-07-2010, 08:48 PM
When i first heard about EYPS, i thought I am always up for training and qualifications etc, but the more I thought about it the more now I have decided not to, I will still be more still give my all most of the time to the job, no matter what qualification I have on paper!

If they are chopping and changing how they want to provide/label/prove this that and the other I think I will have enough to do keeping up with what they want let alone striving to achieve it!

Donkey
16-07-2010, 10:00 PM
****no offence to anyone is meant by this post but....****

how the hell is some snotty nosed 21 year old with a 2:1 in history who then thinks 'hey this top graduate things looks ok' then does the top graduate course and then walks into a ey setting and expecting to lead practice....

they have no underpinning knowledge, they wouldn't know how to react to the kids, they will have the theory but none of the practical skills.

unless people have a decent chunk of childcare experience then they shouldnt be leading practice (placement as part of the eyps shouldnt count!!)

think ill stick with my plan of...

nvq level 3 - done
fd early years - enrolled
top up ba - on the list to do
pgce - teach in a foundation unit

job done!

Mouse
16-07-2010, 10:16 PM
****no offence to anyone is meant by this post but....****

how the hell is some snotty nosed 21 year old with a 2:1 in history who then thinks 'hey this top graduate things looks ok' then does the top graduate course and then walks into a ey setting and expecting to lead practice....

they have no underpinning knowledge, they wouldn't know how to react to the kids, they will have the theory but none of the practical skills.

unless people have a decent chunk of childcare experience then they shouldnt be leading practice (placement as part of the eyps shouldnt count!!)

think ill stick with my plan of...

nvq level 3 - done
fd early years - enrolled
top up ba - on the list to do
pgce - teach in a foundation unit

job done!

A friend of mine has always said pretty much the same thing. She's an ex-social services & Ofsted inspector, has worked in nurseries & as a childminder and now works as an early years advisor.

She has 30 years childcare experience but because she doesn't have a degree she couldn't go for EYPS status, or whatever they're going to change the name to.
Her daughter however, has a degree in accountancy, has never shown any interest in children or childcare, but could go down the EYPS route if she wanted to. A short spell in a chilcare setting & she'd have done it (OK, I know there's more to it than that really!)

I do think there should more emphasis on experience than there is.

TheBTeam
17-07-2010, 07:14 AM
I agree with mouse and flutterbyes, experience backed up with proof of training and qualifications along the way counts more than just having EYPS status after gaining any other degree.

I have a masters degree level qualification through my old profession, but because it is professional and not educational based it does not count for me to do Teaching qualifications or EYPS status, and yet I am more than capable, have my own children and minding experience and have done level 3 and a variety of other qualifications.

I do not have the time to start going through a long path like this, but I am more capable of running things than a lot of people that will do it! I only want to be a childminder I will never work in another childcare setting but wonder what they will expect of us next!

The Juggler
17-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Those with degrees from other backgrounds have to do EYPS on a 16 month pathway - PGCE in early years would be a year. Is that really long enough to do placements which give enough experience with working with young children.

when exactly do they learn about all the early years theory and babies - 8's brain development - the EYPS is not that based in theory (I don't think) and PCGE is more focused on delivery of the teaching/planning isn't it. Maybe I'm wrong but I really think those leading in early years settings and reception should have a vocational degree which involves serious chunks about child development theory.

Same as you wouldn't allow a high school teacher to teach a subject without having a degree in that topic.

The Juggler
17-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Those with degrees from other backgrounds have to do EYPS on a 16 month pathway - PGCE in early years would be a year. Is that really long enough to do placements which give enough experience with working with young children.

when exactly do they learn about all the early years theory and babies - 8's brain development - the EYPS is not that based in theory (I don't think) and PCGE is more focused on delivery of the teaching/planning isn't it. Maybe I'm wrong but I really think those leading in early years settings and reception should have a vocational degree which involves serious chunks about child development theory. Someone with lots of experience of working with children in early years and managing staff could top up with the theoretical knowledge and lead a setting probably far better than a young graduate with a years training in ealry years with about 6 weeks practical experience.

Same as you wouldn't allow a high school teacher to teach a subject without having a degree in that topic.

venus89
17-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Great.
I do the DHC and they decide to change it to another course.

cmlr
24-07-2010, 09:24 PM
"Great.
I do the DHC and they decide to change it to another course.

Snap Venus. It's happening to me too.

I am currently on the DHC but come this September, I am informed that the Level 3 Diploma for the children and young people's workforce is the qualification required!:( :rolleyes: