PDA

View Full Version : assistants

littlestars26
13-07-2010, 12:28 PM
hi can anyone help i am thinking of employing an assistant to increase my under 5 but confused. does anyone no if it is ok to put in contract if business goes down and dont have alot of children am i allowed to give them 4 weeks notice to tell them i no longer need them. and i do i have to set them a minimum amount of hours or can i say hours may vary i confused.
Also the assistant i am thinking only wants 100pound a week is this legal if we agree between us or do i have to pay them inium wage please help anyone plzzz

Stillgoingstrong
13-07-2010, 01:53 PM
hi can anyone help i am thinking of employing an assistant to increase my under 5 but confused. does anyone no if it is ok to put in contract if business goes down and dont have alot of children am i allowed to give them 4 weeks notice to tell them i no longer need them. and i do i have to set them a minimum amount of hours or can i say hours may vary i confused.
Also the assistant i am thinking only wants 100pound a week is this legal if we agree between us or do i have to pay them inium wage please help anyone plzzz

You can give an employee notice if there is no work for them - this is being made redundant! If you pay them hourly it would make it easier to pay them just for hours worked/needed, if they agree to working just when you wanted them. As for paying £100 a week, then that would depend on hours as I think that as they would be your employee you have to pay minimum wage - dont forget you would also have to organise tax and national insurance. :)

rickysmiths
13-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I think if they work more than 15hrs a week you have to pay min wage, pay tax and NI, paid holidays and paid sickness. Check with IR.

Also you need to consider if you increase your numbers, what you would do if the assistant was off sick or wanted to take their holiday at a different time to you.

Also if you have more than 6 under eights you will probably need to apply for Planning Permission form your Local Authority if you have to do this you will then be classed as a business. If this is the case when you sell the house you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax you need to get proper advise.

You would need to check the Lease if you live in a Leasehold Property or the Deeds of the House if you own your own house. Quite a lot of Deeds have a restrictive clause in them stopping you running a business from the house.

karensmart4
13-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I work with a co childminder and an assistant who comes in on an as and when system, all of us are self employed. As its my home I obviously take priority, if the numbers are down, I work alone, we decided on this policy when we first started working together and it suits us and our needs.
It varies area by area, but I wrote to my local planning dept stating what my plans were, they replied that as long as the majority of my home is for family use and I dont have a seperate entrance for my business, then they aren't interested. So I suggest you either phone or write to them to seek advise on that.

littlestars26
13-07-2010, 07:17 PM
thank you i didn't relise i would have to write to see if need planning permission seems abit complicated to me

karensmart4
13-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm reg for 12 children at any one time and I dont need planning permission, but like I said it might vary in different areas. Its best to get it in writing :)