PDA

View Full Version : Totally terrified...........

Newbie1!
11-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi guys, Im new here and totally terrified!! Ive always wanted to work with children and have done my teaching assitant qualification, after evaluting our options it seems that child minding would definitely be the best and suit me the most but I am now totally terrified. Im terrified of failing, Im terrified of not getting any work, Im terrified that I wont know the right places to go, people to meet or where to advertise......please can someone give me some tips, advice, guidance or encouragement that I really am doing the right thing xx

Vyx
11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
OK, breathe! :laughing:

You've already done the best thing by coming here! Seriously, there is a wealth of knowledge available to you on here and all the members are fantastic so you will never be short of help and oodles of support.
Please feel free to ask your specific questions, even if you might think that they are a bit silly :blush: the members here have seen it all before :)

It is very scary isn't it? The things that you are worried about are perfectly normal and we all worry about them hun so don't worry, you are not alone. If you feel that this is the way for you to go then GO FOR IT! I'm not saying that it will be a breeze, you have to jump through a few hoops just to get registered but we will be here to help you, every step of the way.

Where abouts on your journey are you? Have you just literally made your decision? Have you started the course yet?

Vyx

xx

Edited coz it's flipping early and my fingers don't work properly yet!

coffee-time
11-07-2010, 07:43 AM
hi, you sound like me a couple of years ago!! it is all a bit daunting but you will be fine if you take each step at a time, go to the briefing sessions then the icp course where you will get loads of information to get you started, i have a childminding support worker in my area (all areas are different) which is really helpful, i wouldnt worry about all the other stuff till after the icp course as you will find out all this from the course. as for advertising ect, in my experience its taking ages! i was registered in april and still dont have any mindees yet which is annoying. dont be put off though its different for everyone, i got to know a lot of childminders from going to playgroups with my own children over the last few years which is helpful too.
hope this helps, dont be terrified its not that bad honest:laughing:

miffy
11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum

You've certainly come to the right place - you will find all the support and helpful advice on anything you can think of here from the friendliest bunch of people you could ever not meet! :D

Miffy xx

Newbie1!
11-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Thank you thank you thank you for your replies!! Yey....someone can help me!!!

So here we go...I'll reply to what everyone has asked.....

Vyx.....have got my first briefing/intro meeting on Wednesday night, after which I am intending on applying to register...is that right!?! Im on a first aid course last week in August....what do you mean course?? What course am I supposed to be on?!?! (This is what I mean I havent got a clue!!):panic: :panic:

Anice, thank you sweet....but what on earth is icp???........oh no the palpitations are starting again!!!........

Miffy, thank you for your support.....Im sure you will all be well and truly sick of me by the time Im registered!!

:blush: :blush:

Vyx
11-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Newbie (what is your name??? lol Can't keep calling you newbie)

Right, the course I am on about and the ICP that Anice mentioned are the same thing :) it stands for Introduction to Childminding Practice (or if you live in Cheshire like me, it will be Introduction to Childminding in Cheshire or ICC). This course is mandatory and depending on your local authority you will either have to complete the course before you apply to Ofsted (governing body for childminders, schools, nurseries etc) or you will have to have completed the ICP within 6 months of registering. You will find out all about the ICP at your briefing session so don't worry. They are generally held at a local venue over a period of about 10 weeks (a few hours of an evening, 1 day per week) but there can be some variance between local authorities.

Hope this helps

XX

Newbie1!
11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Newbie (what is your name??? lol Can't keep calling you newbie)

Right, the course I am on about and the ICP that Anice mentioned are the same thing :) it stands for Introduction to Childminding Practice (or if you live in Cheshire like me, it will be Introduction to Childminding in Cheshire or ICC). This course is mandatory and depending on your local authority you will either have to complete the course before you apply to Ofsted (governing body for childminders, schools, nurseries etc) or you will have to have completed the ICP within 6 months of registering. You will find out all about the ICP at your briefing session so don't worry. They are generally held at a local venue over a period of about 10 weeks (a few hours of an evening, 1 day per week) but there can be some variance between local authorities.

Hope this helps

XX

Hi Vyx, thank you for that, your a star....ny name is Jo by the way!! Im amazed at how much it seems that is going to be crammed into this briefing session, my letter says its just over an hour long...with all this lot to ask about I'll be there for at least six hours I think!!! Hopefully Wednesday will answer my questions and then I can stop hassling you lot.....although it will probably leave me with lots more questions than I have now!!!xx :blush: