PDA

View Full Version : development matters

magicminding
10-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone - next week our teacher was going to run a session during a drop in on development matters - as we all had some obscure questions:blush:

Unfortunately she has been taken poorly, so I have offered to run the session on her behalf, but although I am confident on most aspects of development matters, some of these points baffle me! :eek:

These are the questions the group have asked - I'd really value your thoughts! :thumbsup:

.. Should we be using the 1.1 etc cards in conjunction with development matters - if so how?
2.. Do we actually need to use development matters? How do preschools and surestart nurseries use it? What about reception teachers?
3.. Is there an easy way to use it?
4.. How often should we update it? Is it ok to log evidence for 3 months, and then update it?
5.. When planning for our children - which section should we use - there are 4 sections running across - which one is right? Do we even need to use it in our planning?
6.. How should we evidence / how much evidence do we need for each of the developments?
7.. Are there a set of standards that tell us to what degree we should be marking off a development as can do? - for example, we all have different opinions - some of us may be harsher than others. Also - inparticular the learning goals - do these have a set of recommended activities / standards to check against?
8.. How do we do the following in a home based setting (think typical day to day activities please!)? - Use of sets / recognition of sets in PSRN, communities in KUW.
9.. Can you explain the following phrases in English?
a.. Are logical thinkers from birth - Calculating
b.. Understand the concept of a word
c.. use more complex sentences - how complex?
d.. Use developing mathematical ideas & methods to solve practical problems.
Phew!

I have found lots of grids about profiles and such on the internet, and ordered loads of QCA publications, but the more answers I have (rather than just my own!) the better.

sarah707
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone - next week our teacher was going to run a session during a drop in on development matters - as we all had some obscure questions:blush:

Unfortunately she has been taken poorly, so I have offered to run the session on her behalf, but although I am confident on most aspects of development matters, some of these points baffle me! :eek:

These are the questions the group have asked - I'd really value your thoughts! :thumbsup:

.. Should we be using the 1.1 etc cards in conjunction with development matters - if so how?

The cards are indicators of good practice.

There is no requirement to use them in your planning etc.

however as they are part of the Eyfs you must be aware of them and should use them to inform your work.

They also contain good information which, if you work through them, will help you when you write your SEF.

2.. Do we actually need to use development matters? How do preschools and surestart nurseries use it? What about reception teachers?

Development matters is 'look, listen, note' which is how you do your observations.

You are doing it anyway and yes all Eyfs settings have to use it.

You can change the format / layout to suit you, but the principles are key to your day to day work.

3.. Is there an easy way to use it?

It should be used to feed into your routines, your obs / assessments / planning etc.

Use it to develop and grow as a childminder.

It works alongside your SEF.

4.. How often should we update it? Is it ok to log evidence for 3 months, and then update it?

I checked that I could evidence meeting each of the 16 points, then focussed on the SEF.

I do go back to Development Matters and the cards because they help me improve my practice.

However I do not usually update the info as Ofsted won't (as far as I understand) look at it.

They are interested in the SEF and how you feed all your thoughts for now and the future into that.

5.. When planning for our children - which section should we use - there are 4 sections running across - which one is right? Do we even need to use it in our planning?

Some people do and some don't.

If you write continuous provision plans for each of your main activities - messy play, singing and dancing, books etc then you might write how they evidence across the 16 areas, but that is your choice and just one way of working.

A good working knowledge of 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 and 4.4 are essential when planning.

6.. How should we evidence / how much evidence do we need for each of the developments?

Sorry I don't understand the question.

7.. Are there a set of standards that tell us to what degree we should be marking off a development as can do? - for example, we all have different opinions - some of us may be harsher than others. Also - inparticular the learning goals - do these have a set of recommended activities / standards to check against?

The only thing we have to work with are the learning and development goals in the Eyfs guidance.

These cannot contain every single thing a child might say / do so you have to be creative with them.

They are a guide - the Eyfs is not a ticklist curriculum and should not be used as such.

If you look through the L & D grids you will see ideas for activities and developing the child's interests on the 4th column.

8.. How do we do the following in a home based setting (think typical day to day activities please!)? -

Use of sets / recognition of sets in PSRN,

Don't forget we are working alongside other settings including playgroups and schools (nursery / reception classes).

A lot of the ELGs will be evidenced by them.

We need to keep a clear focus on learning through play

communities in KUW.

Take children on outings; attend community events; speak to the local road crossing person; make friends with your local policeman; go to African / Indian shops & explore; dressing up clothes which reflect the community around you; visit the Chinese supermarket... etc

9.. Can you explain the following phrases in English?
a.. Are logical thinkers from birth - Calculating

From the moment they are born babies start to think logically... this links to the phrase 'holistic learning and development'.

We do not 'teach' a baby to reach for a toy - instead we provide the toy, we stimulate the baby, we talk, we listen, we make things exciting, we ensure the baby has space to move around... one day the baby will move for the toy.

We are logical creatures in that we learn even from the womb to hear out mother's voice, to recognise certain music from the television etc.

Sorry it's a hard one to explain... does that help?

b.. Understand the concept of a word

When you are reading you point to words... when the child is 'reading back' to you he makes noises that are separate from each other.

Then slowly he starts to realise that the marks on the page are words.

One day he comes to you with a scribble and says look, I have written my name.

Then when he is learning phonics at school he starts to understand that a group of sounds together make a word.

It's a gradual process.

c.. use more complex sentences - how complex?

This is one for school again...

As far as we are concerned we are listening to a child go from one word to 2 to little sentences.

Then we note that he can tell us a story...

As each child is unique this is about the child achieving to the best of his ability.

So you cannot say ... all children will be able to speak complex sentences including description, adjectives and a linking word by age 5!!

d.. Use developing mathematical ideas & methods to solve practical problems.

Doing jigsaws, sewing round shape cards, putting shapes in a sorter game...

The child develops mathematical ideas through games and puzzles...

He uses them in the game he is doing...

Slowly he starts to use them in other games.

He is now developing his ideas and methods and using them to solve problems...

He can do up a button because he has learned that a circle goes in a hole... he can find a number 3 because he has learned about shapes and recognises the curves in the number... he can kick a ball into a football net because he has learned enough about angles to aim it.

Phew!

I have found lots of grids about profiles and such on the internet, and ordered loads of QCA publications, but the more answers I have (rather than just my own!) the better.

Hope that helps! :D

magicminding
11-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Sarah - you have given me a very different take on how I would have answered the questions! Like I said, I feel confident on most of the questions that were raised, but having read your answers, I have 2 viewpoints (so far) to assist me in how I deliver the training. (I always like training that gives me a new idea or view to something!!!)

To clarify, the childminders wanted to know about using development matters as a learning journey for the children, because there isn't a "set way" to use it, and everyone has such different ideas - that is how the questions were generated! Your opinions re this and the SEF were a new way of using it - I normally use the P.I.P cards for my sef, plus my own reflections and feedback from families!

Ofsted did look at a development matters I had completed on one of my children - as it was their learning journey - but we all know that Ofsted inspectors vary greatly.

Question 6 - when looking at each of the "milestones" many people I know just highlight the text, sign and date it. In my daughters school, they have to evidence the milestone with either artwork, a photograph or an observation. Many of the childminders at my drop in are good to outstanding - and this is one of the areas they may wish to consider developing to make a difference. Knowing waht other settings do - if anything is always interesting :)

Question 7 - the reason we asked that question was our teacher is always going on about the national standards website - but I have searched high and low, and other than profile guidance for reception teachers there doesn't appear to be anything.

My one was logical thinkers from birth - you explained that beautifully, thanks! Always thought it was a ****** odd statement lol!