PDA

View Full Version : Obs q again...

mum2two
09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I know, I know.... This question gets asked time & time again, but...

How many obs???

I am just updating my L & D journey's for the last month. I have a little diary, that I write what we do each day, and note the obs down in here. I then, and the end of every month sit & transfer them to each childs folder, and plan...

My obs are simple. Just short snippets written on a sticky label. I don't do massive A4 photo ob sheets, just stick a small pic next to the ob if there is one!

But - how many???

I have 2 two year olds. One of them, I only have 5 obs for him for June. Then other, I have 7. It doesn't sound like enough. (I'm sure I forget to put some in, as I just see them as 'normal' development, and it passes over my head!!)

Plus, looking through, it seems that it can go a month -6 weeks with an area of development not having an ob? We shouldn't be doing an ob a week on each area of development...

Can you tell I'm stressing about ofsted coming next week?!?!? :p

xx

Waveawand
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Hiya - please dont get in a state, its quality not quantity. As long as you are showing progression and linking it to ELGs then its fine. Ive been looking at the reception teachers approach and they do ten minute obs once every 8-12 weeks they call it a Narrative ob where you basically observer and note down everything you see.

having said that your mindees are like mine re age and you just need a good routine and make sure that you note their developmental milestones for now its very difficult to plan for this age group so I am going to do retrospective stuff but at the moment what you are doing sounds perfectly okay.
Mrs O was here yesterday and their big bent is Risk assessments (daily ones !! what joy) but Im inSefton and I think their hot topic differs from area to area. There are some inspection hot tips on the FSF forum which may guide you. But to be honest if your parents are happy and the mindees - thats all that matters !!! ( not that I think that this is a paperwork exercise or anything you understatnd :rolleyes: !) good luck and hope this allays your worries !!:)