PDA

View Full Version : I must be mad ... I've just turned down work

pinkbutterfly
08-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Something just didn't feel right when they came over to see me. Wanted to change my terms and conditions but keep my price. They have a nanny but it works out too expensive so they want to change to childminder instead. I said I'm happy to do what they want but for a higher fee. They were fussing so I said no place is available anymore. I don't know if I did the right thing but it felt right at the moment. I didn't want to be bossed around as I'm self employed not an employee. And I thought that if this is the grief I'm getting now what it will be like once the contract has been signed.
Anybody else turned down work based on gut instinct?

Mollymop
08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes I have. Your instincts are usually right so well done.

Ripeberry
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Well done, you are the boss and they should not even DREAM of trying to change your terms and conditions. If they are that fussy they should pay up for a nanny :mad:

Chell
08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Always go with your gut instinct. I didn't, started to mind the child then decided to terminate the contract. It would have better for me and the child if I'd gone with my gut instinct in the first place.

Bushpig
08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Oh yes... my gut instinct has not failed me yet :thumbsup:

I was all ready to sign contracts with someone, they came back with trying to negotiate EVERYTHING (but really really petty things too, which made me wonder :rolleyes: ) in their favour (husband is a lawyer)... the little girl is just lovely... mum is okay... dad a pain... and my gut instinct said NO.

So I said that the vacancy was no longer available. No reason given.

The mum didn't want to lose me (her words), apologised for them asking all they did (it was really ridiculous.. eg: they'd *recalculated* what they thought my meals cost etc. and wanted to pay THAT, not my full day all-inclusive cost etc. )... said they'd accept my T&Cs.. but I still said no. I don't need to deal with people like this. :panic:

Stillgoingstrong
08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
No you're not mad, just sensible. You have to feel comfortable with everyone and everything and if in doubt just say no. It's not worth stressing, there will be others that you just gel with and then it all works :D

snufflepuff
08-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Well done you.
I haven't turned work down but should have done. Something just didn't feel right, but i put it down to being new to the job and nervous. The LO is lovely but i have had trouble with Mum- they are leaving soon, after only a few months, and i'm glad! Wish i'd never started with her, could have saved my time, effort, paperwork, (sanity....) etc.

PixiePetal
08-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Gut instinct has never failed me yet :thumbsup:

Blaze
08-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I have - a serious amount of money that was sooo needed - they have been through 3 nannies so far - I definately made the right decison!

rickysmiths
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Absolutly and I've never regreted it and indeed seen the greif caused to other childminders who have taken them on.

I have always said that the interview is for us as well as the parents and just as they are entitled to not choose us so are we to not choose them.

Blaze
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Absolutly and I've never regreted it and indeed seen the greif caused to other childminders who have taken them on.

I have always said that the interview is for us as well as the parents and just as they are entitled to not choose us so are we to not choose them.

Totally agree!:thumbsup:

Ohhh we agree on something - is that a record LOL:D ;)