PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU LIKE / DISLIKE YOUR NAME

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Do any of you ever wish you were called something else ?

Talking to some friends today they all said how much they hate their first or middle name

What about you ? Do you hate your name - if you could change your name what would you like to be called ?

Do you really like your name and would never change it ?

Or have you never even thought about it ?

Angel xx

RachelE
05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont dislike my name as such, but sometimes when people say it I dont like to hear it! - that doesnt really make sense does it?

Not sure what I'd like to be called though - nothing too extrodinary!

Rachel x

ajs
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
hate mine
mandy too childish and
amanda to poncy

was going to be Kimberley and quite like that

LOOPYLISA
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Don't like mine :laughing:

PixiePetal
05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't mind mine.

Used Jennie since a child, hated Jennifer but might use it when I am older - much older :laughing:

Most people start off calling me Jennie then it slips to Jen which I like too.

Hate my initials though - were J.A.W now married J.A.M! I own nothing with my initials printed on it :laughing:

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't mind mine.

Used Jennie since a child, hated Jennifer but might use it when I am older - much older :laughing:

Most people start off calling me Jennie then it slips to Jen which I like too.

Hate my initials though - were J.A.W now married J.A.M! I own nothing with my initials printed on it :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

xxx

Bushpig
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
I love my name, Jennifer... am called Jen by friends, which I love too :thumbsup: Nickname is Jenniflower... had it since a kid... oh and I love that too! :laughing:

Trouble
05-07-2010, 09:46 PM
i Hate Diane it sounds so cross:angry: :angry: i can hear my mother saying it

but love Di :D everyone calls me di not diane:thumbsup:

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I don't mind my name although I think Daz has a thing for Anne's

His first wife Dorothy Anne

His second wife Dawn Anne

And me his third, yes that's right his 3rd wife Carol Anne. :D

Carol xx

LOOPYLISA
05-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Carol xx

Im Lisa Ann and i hate it :panic:

angeldelight

Carol xx

ha ha that is so funny

How weird though and what is the chance of that happening ....... I wont ask if there is going to be a 4th :laughing:

xxx

Trouble

Carol xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trouble
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it could be Di ane:laughing:

Carpet Monkeys
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I like mine, was Emma for about 2 weeks, until my mum received a card with Emma Edwards on it and decided it was a mouthful, now I'm Lisa, no middle name, always wanted it, so gave both my kids middle names!

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
ha ha that is so funny

How weird though and what is the chance of that happening ....... I wont ask if there is going to be a 4th :laughing:

xxx

He hasn't got enough money to get married again :laughing: He did however save the best till last :laughing: :clapping: :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
He hasn't got enough money to get married again :laughing: He did however save the best till last :laughing: :clapping: :laughing:

Carol xx

Dunno about that

A villa supporter ??? :eek:

Angel xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
it could be Di ane:laughing:

You could be next then Di ha ha

Angel xx

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
You could be next then Di ha ha

Angel xx

You won't want him Di, he's no money, I keep spending it :laughing: :laughing:

And he snores :panic: :panic:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:04 PM
You won't want him Di, he's no money, I keep spending it :laughing: :laughing:

And he snores :panic: :panic:

Carol xx

Yes but that is the thing he has got no money because you spend it - so that is why he is going to pick di next ha ha

xxx

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Dunno about that

A villa supporter ??? :eek:

Angel xx

Hey what do you know?????? You being a B***Nose!!!!!!! Sorry but Pauline doesn't allow swearing here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey what do you know?????? You being a B***Nose!!!!!!! Sorry but Pauline doesn't allow swearing here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

Cheeky

I am going to introudce Daz to Di for that :laughing: :laughing:

xxx

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes but that is the thing he has got no money because you spend it - so that is why he is going to pick di next ha ha

xxx

Yes but Di has standards and I'm not sure she would put up with him, that's why he's on wife number 3 :laughing:

Carol xx

Hebs
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I hate my name but understand why a nurse named me Heather, nice story awful name!

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes but Di has standards and I'm not sure she would put up with him, that's why he's on wife number 3 :laughing:

Carol xx

Oh so what you are saying is that it might be you that goes :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh so what you are saying is that it might be you that goes :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

I'm going nowhere, this house is mine so he's stuck with me :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm going nowhere, this house is mine so he's stuck with me :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

Poor Daz :laughing:

Ha ha ha only kidding you are ok for a villian :laughing:

Remind me to email you a picture of my dads birthday present , my dad loved it but Steve was not so impressed

Angel xx

Trouble
05-07-2010, 10:16 PM
you can have mike he snores to:laughing: and his mums called carol anne

his and my sister in law is called barbara anne who has a child called chloe anne:D :D are you following!!!!!

charleyfarley
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Poor Daz :laughing:

Ha ha ha only kidding you are ok for a villian :laughing:

Remind me to email you a picture of my dads birthday present , my dad loved it but Steve was not so impressed

Angel xx

And you're not so bad either for a B***s fan :thumbsup: Oh and I love your mom and dad, shame the rest of you haven't got the same sense :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
And you're not so bad either for a B***s fan :thumbsup: Oh and I love your mom and dad, shame the rest of you haven't got the same sense :laughing:

Carol xx

Most of them are with you Carol

Just us lot are Blues

xxx

cher25
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I used to dislike my name when i was growing up.
The reason? How many people called Cherainne do you know??? lol

I like it now though! :thumbsup:

angeldelight
05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I used to dislike my name when i was growing up.
The reason? How many people called Cherainne do you know??? lol

I like it now though! :thumbsup:

Oh I really love your name and had never heard of it before I knew you

Its lovely and different and I for one like it

Angel xx

cher25
05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh I really love your name and had never heard of it before I knew you

Its lovely and different and I for one like it

Angel xx

Thank you Angel.

Took me a long time to get used to my name. lol Oh and just to add to it, Carol my middle name is also Anne. :)

angeldelight
06-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Thank you Angel.

Took me a long time to get used to my name. lol Oh and just to add to it, Carol my middle name is also Anne. :)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
06-07-2010, 06:34 AM
I love my name always have and I like my middle name as well, Lorraine Ellen :clapping: xx

kindredspirits
06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I like my name - Anna - but I hate hate hate it being shortened to anything, An, Annie, Fanny-An (my childminder used to call me that) - its ANNA plain and simple (like me.) :D

nannysue
06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I like my name i'm rarely called Susan though , but it could have been worse , apparently i was to be called Moria Gertrude !!!!!!

But a nice story is that after tracing my family that i never knew.. i found have my grandmother's name as my middle name , Lillian . :)

Also Susan means Lily

angeldelight
06-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I like my name i'm rarely called Susan though , but it could have been worse , apparently i was to be called Moria Gertrude !!!!!!

But a nice story is that after tracing my family that i never knew.. i found have my grandmother's name as my middle name , Lillian . :)

Also Susan means Lily

Moira Gertrude :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

Suits you think I am going to start calling you that ha ha

Angel xx

nannysue
06-07-2010, 07:02 AM
One Gerty on here is enough !!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
06-07-2010, 07:08 AM
One Gerty on here is enough !!!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Very good that was quick for you :laughing: :laughing:

Funny

Angel xx

Tam's Tribe
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
I like my first name Tamara (in Africa they call me Tammy and here just Tam) . . . so dont like my middle name, Angela.

and my initial are TAN . . . which is weird coz I glow like a fluorescent tube!!! :laughing:

Mollymop
06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Hate hate hate my name with a passion! Sandra Jane. I am 30 and have a name that 50 to 60 year old ladies have (no offence)

I am named after my mother's sister who died of meningitis when she was 4 year old back in 1955. I should be honoured but I dislike the name non the less

angeldelight
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Hate hate hate my name with a passion! I am 30 and have a name that 50 to 60 year old ladies have (no offence)

I am named after my mother's sister who died of meningitis when she was 4 year old back in 1955. I should be honoured but I dislike the name non the less

Yeah but just think it will be ok when YOU ARE 50 or 60 :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Tribe_mummy
06-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I have to say, as much as I love my mummy, I HATE my full name JACQUELINE...everytime I hear it I feel like I am trouble...Jac is fine for me, though people do sometimes ask why I prefer a boys name lol xx

amirose
06-07-2010, 07:20 AM
My name is Ami-rose
I am not sure why my mum spelt Amy with an I, think she was trying to be different, Rose is after my nan who died 2 weeks before I was born.
My surname is foreign and I tend to just go by Ami -inevitably everyone thinks I am foreign and pronounces both my first and second name bizarrely.
I do like my name but hate the fact I have to spell out both my first and second names to everyone.
Also my initials spell A.R.S :rolleyes: ... :laughing:

Pipsqueak
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
I used to hate my name - Victoria. My mum hated it being abbreviated to Vic/vicky and would not allow it. It was also the way it was said when I was in bother (or they thought I was in bother!!!!:rolleyes: ). All my friends used to call me Vicky and if they done it in front of my mum she would correct them with a 'look' on her face.:rolleyes:

Now that I am older I don't mind it though but most people call me Vik or Vicky.

My middle name is Theresa - named after an aunt - who by all accounts I am very much like.

I loved my sisters' name though - Helene (can't do the accents). She got the 'family' name (its my mums and mums aunts and so on). Mind you I normally called her Elly or Ellen.

My sister has gone for 'different' names for her children- Clarabel and Indigo. I did point out to my sister though that her daughters initials are I Steele!!!
Harry's name gets changed to Hazza by his friends and I HATE it.

tinkerbelle
06-07-2010, 07:37 AM
i love my first name KRISTY only down side is that i get called kirsty a lot dont like my middle name michelle but its better than the jaqueline mary my nan was going to call me :eek:

mama2three
06-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I quite like my full name , kathleen , but hate kathy / kath.(.common:laughing: )
all my old work friends when i was in the bank called me kat which i liked , and my ex called me kitty.
Nowadays I just get boring old Kath. My mum isnt around any more to call me Kathleen:(

Tink
06-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm fine with my name Sarah middle name Louise. Some people when I was younger tried to call me Sarah Lou but I didn't like it, Most people shorten it to Saz and the kids call me Saiz which is kinda cute.
I wouldn't change it as it's the name my mum and Dad chose

WibbleWobble
06-07-2010, 08:44 AM
my name is Amanda-Jayne

it sounds like a doll!

i was born in the 1960s to teenage hippy parents....they named me after Mandy rice davies:eek: a know naughty lady! and a Mandrax...an illegal substance:eek: :eek: :eek: Couldve been moonjuice or something worse!

I am called Mandy by my friends and family except when i am in trouble then i get the full title

My gran wanted to call me Victoria....my suname was Downs...

my initials...VD!!!! imagine my dad having to tell granny!

mandy xxxx

little chickee
06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm Karen Jane - which i don't mind but I'm a bit of a hippy at heart and would have loved something a bit more unusual - Star, Skye, River, etc but wont change my name cos that would be daft!

My mums name was Barbara but ever since she was a very young child had the nickname Bubbles cos she had very curly hair and it looked liked a load of bubbles on her head.

Only 1 or 2 people ever called her Barbara and we would introduce her as Bubbles like it was a normal name and never thought to explain it. Some people knew her for years and never knew what her real name was which i think is great.

Pipsqueak
06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Just thought - my younger sisters initials are H E R (before she was married).

:laughing:

Annie_T
06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
i dont like my name but i do ... haha Annabelle !! (come on mother, get with it, really .... why that name lol)

never called it unless my fella is messing bout or my mum comes see me and wants use it haha other wises its Annie,

ex boss/mate calls me Tinkerbell (he never heard me move around workshop or office haha - he had a car garage for jap cars) i like Tinkerbell :P

really really reallly REALY HATE my middle name tho Claudette :angry: :blush:

my intials were ACL then ACT and next year will be ACB lol

if i could change my name hmmmm nope no clue

i like alianniya (mouthful i know - was what my girl was gonna be called)

mama2three
06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
my first 2 initials are kp - brother still calls me nuts!

Rubybubbles
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
I like my name Emma Louise:) nice and easy!

But I love my sisters name Adeline, not many of those around, although she hated it growing up as a very old name, and in high school a teacher had the same name:laughing:

I am an ELF, was an ELF before my mum re-married and now back to it:rolleyes: the kids think it is very funny!

Mollymop
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah but just think it will be ok when YOU ARE 50 or 60 :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Maybe it will be back in fashion by then!:eek: :D

Hebs
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I used to hate my name - Victoria. My mum hated it being abbreviated to Vic/vicky and would not allow it. It was also the way it was said when I was in bother (or they thought I was in bother!!!!:rolleyes: ). All my friends used to call me Vicky and if they done it in front of my mum she would correct them with a 'look' on her face.:rolleyes:

i do this with Melissa, i HATE it when her friends call her Mel :angry: but they have learnt not to call her it around me :laughing:
Her nickname is Melly (or as we call her... smelly melly :laughing: )

Mark....... well i didnt think he would have a nickname.... but he getc called Markie Mark :blush:

Mollymop
06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
i do this with Melissa, i HATE it when her friends call her Mel :angry: but they have learnt not to call her it around me :laughing:
Her nickname is Melly (or as we call her... smelly melly :laughing: )

Mark....... well i didnt think he would have a nickname.... but he getc called Markie Mark :blush:

You hate it when her mates call her Mel but you call her Smelly melly?:rolleyes: :D

Rubybubbles
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
You hate it when her mates call her Mel but you call her Smelly melly?:rolleyes: :D

we call my other sister Smelly Kelly:) The kids say Auntie Smelly:blush:

Hebs
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM

yeah :laughing:

but only when we are winding her up :D

Mollymop
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
we call my other sister Smelly Kelly:) The kids say Auntie Smelly:blush:

We call my sister Anna the Piana or anna the spanner:eek: :D

Mollymop
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
yeah :laughing:

but only when we are winding her up :D

Poor girl:laughing:
We call Caitlin, MollyMophead or some unknown reason and we call my ds Timmy T-shirt or nimmy Nailer (tim Taylor)

Hebs
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Poor girl:laughing:
We call Caitlin, MollyMophead or some unknown reason and we call my ds Timmy T-shirt or nimmy Nailer (tim Taylor)

she finds it funny, otherwise i wouldnt call her it :laughing:

angeldelight
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM

I know that really made me laugh :laughing:

Angel xx

julie w
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm quite glad Mum called me Julie, if only for the fact my Dad wanted to call me Maud after one of his aunts. :panic: Mind you after a day of kids shouting 'Ju' every two seconds I might reconsider .lol.

avril
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I hated my name when I was younger as I could never get up to mischief as there was only ever one Avril :rolleyes:

Then my Nan's friends thought they were all clever asking was I born in April with Avril being french for that, I think they were just showing off that they knew another language :laughing: Oh and I was born in July anyway

Now I am a little older it has grown on me because it is different and quite hard to shorten although I do get called Av by close friends.

heatherw
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
My name is Heather and I don't dislike my name now, its my name so im used to it. When i was younger i didn't like it cus i was the only one in our town with the name so everyone knew who is was! When i was a kid i always wanted to be called Louise. Before i was married my surname was long and awful and i had to spell it out to everyone, now im married my surname is Ward so its easy and everyone can spell it! I tell my DH i only married him to change my name!:laughing:

For some reason my parents decided to give me and my sister 2 middle names, mine aren't that bad but my sisters full name is Catherine Barbara Elizabeth, shes dylexic and can't even spell her own name! So everyone calls her Cat cus she can spell it!

Beetlejuice
06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
This thread has made me laugh, especially the nicknames we give our kids. My DD is known as Banana (her actual name is Anya) - which she answers to lol!!

I have grown to tolerate my name - I really don't like it but no longer want to change it by deed poll lol! It reminds me of the dreaded Feltz woman off the tv :blush: It was my Dad's choice apparently - my Mum wanted to call me Coral Theresa!!!:eek:

The most annoying thing for me was that my name is always shortened and I'm not called the same by everyone lol. For that reason I chose short names for my children so that they would actually use it rather than a shortened version.

sonia ann
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
have always hated my name..........especially the way my mum says it with the emphasis on the "i".............much prefer Sonya..........:)

moljak
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't mind my name now though hated it when i was younger.
My mam used to say "it's Jayne, Jayne with a Y" every time someone asked.Sometimes wished I'd just been plain Jane :laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
This thread has made me laugh, especially the nicknames we give our kids. My DD is known as Banana (her actual name is Anya) - which she answers to lol!!

I have grown to tolerate my name - I really don't like it but no longer want to change it by deed poll lol! It reminds me of the dreaded Feltz woman off the tv :blush: It was my Dad's choice apparently - my Mum wanted to call me Coral Theresa!!!:eek:

The most annoying thing for me was that my name is always shortened and I'm not called the same by everyone lol. For that reason I chose short names for my children so that they would actually use it rather than a shortened version.

did this with mine - Daisy and Toby :thumbsup: People may shorten it in speech but you can't in writing :)

Toby gets called Bo, or is it Beau?, as Daisy couldn't pronounce Toby when he was born and called him Boby. I am the only one who says it now though, mums privilege - he is nearly 14