PDA

View Full Version : Need help with planning and next steps

Helen79
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
At the moment I don't do any written planning or next steps.

I do observations and photos that go into learning journals but still haven't worked out what planning I should be doing and how I should record next steps.

Do I record the next steps in the learning journal, eg.

Obs 1: 7 July 2010
X rolled the ball to me and said 'roll'

Next Steps: x enjoys rolling the ball, I will plan activities that encourage him to explore this more like rolling balls down tubes.

Is that enough or do I need to relate it more to the EYFS or do I record next steps in with my planning?

At the moment I have a 7momth old who's here 4 hours a day but sleeps for a lot of that and a 1 year old who is here 2 days a week .
I don't do any written planning at all and we just decide on the day what we fancy doing.

I really don't know where to start with all the planning and at the moment other than the learning journal I don't refer to the EYFS in any paperwork :panic:

Any ideas where to start?

naomiesian
05-07-2010, 03:11 PM
At the moment I don't do any written planning or next steps.

I do observations and photos that go into learning journals but still haven't worked out what planning I should be doing and how I should record next steps.

Do I record the next steps in the learning journal, eg.

Obs 1: 7 July 2010
X rolled the ball to me and said 'roll'

Next Steps: x enjoys rolling the ball, I will plan activities that encourage him to explore this more like rolling balls down tubes.

Is that enough or do I need to relate it more to the EYFS or do I record next steps in with my planning?

At the moment I have a 7momth old who's here 4 hours a day but sleeps for a lot of that and a 1 year old who is here 2 days a week .
I don't do any written planning at all and we just decide on the day what we fancy doing.

I really don't know where to start with all the planning and at the moment other than the learning journal I don't refer to the EYFS in any paperwork :panic:

Any ideas where to start?

I use a note book to jot down observations and then in the evening when I have more time I put it all together in the child's learning journey,I cover everything in the learning journey, observation, evaluation, next steps(future planning) and then which area it links to, so I would write Observation - x rolled the ball to me and said roll, Evaluation - x enjoys rolling the ball and is using new words to describe his actions. links to the eyfs = PD,movement and space, KUW,exploration and investigation. Next steps, provide larger and smaller balls for x to play with, try new games involving throwing or bouncing the ball.
I`ve only been minding since march so its all still new to me and this is the way which works for me but I might be wrong :eek:
I'm sure somebody else with more knowledge and experience will be along soon to offer more help.
Naomie xx

sarah707
05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Naomie's way sounds good to me!

You can relate your obs to the Eyfs quite easily...

X is rolling balls (PD) and saying 'roll' (CLL)

Next steps ... roll balls down tubes (PD). Use positional language up and down (PSR&N).

Something like that. It depends on what kind of detail you want to go into really :D