PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Challenge JULY 2010

Rubybubbles
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Well in a fashion, some of us are trying to tighten our belts on our shopping Budget, so feel free to join us:D

My budget for this month is £450

I have been to Adsa and spend £96:eek: but it will last me well into the week after next apart from fresh stuff:D

This week we are having

Jacket Pots, ham cheese and salad, corn on cobblies
Tuna Pasta bake, with fresh bread from BM
Fish, rice and peas (my fav lol)
Sauage peas and Mash
Chicken Cassarolly
Jacket Pots& Beans
Burgers and Chips (all hm:D ) with prob egg!

Lunches tend to be rolls, sandwiches, pittas with ham/cheese/marmite/eggs, with yogurt and fruit

Breakfast Cereal

Netmums have a lovely menu planner:thumbsup:

Please join in and share your menus and copy and paste your goal for the month

Rubybubbles £450 (£96-£354 left)

edayhouse
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
What a great idea!
I will need to go and organise what we are having for the rest of the week and will get back to you.
I generally spend approx £500 if i am being good watching what i buy etc (this figure includes toiletries) but around £650 if i dont watch what i am doing..............
x

PixiePetal
04-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Is this for full shopping bill including cleaning stuff etc?

I am about to do my online shop which is all except fruit - did waitrose this am and spent £35 there :rolleyes: expensive but convenient when you live out of town and this is nearest shop.

Oh well here goes!

well done the shop - £85

includes cider to take to BBQ on Friday :blush:

So that's £120 so far. Lots will take us into the week after though and some beyond that.

Living outside a village with no shops I tend to have a stocked larder and freezer at all times just in case I don't go to town.

miss mopple
04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Im in :thumbsup:

I'm aiming to spend no more than £450 this month.

Spent £49.29 on tesco online today for the week so getting off to a good start :thumbsup:

My menu:

Roast Pork ( had a joint in freezer already)
Spaghetti bolognese and garlic bread
Toad in the hole, new potatoes, veg
Homemade pizza
pasta bake
fajitas and nacho cheese wedges

puddings will be angel delight, fruity jelly, rice pudding

lunches will be the usual sandwiches etc with home baked goodies as I have lots of eggs/flour etc already and fruit

Spent: 49.29, left £400.71

Rubybubbles
04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
yes Pixie for everything:eek: lol

Please feel free to add your name to the challenge:D

Edayhouse £500 (£0 spent, £500 left)
Miss Mople £450 (£49.29spent, £400.71 left)
Pixie Petal £ (£120 spent, )
Rubybubbles £450 (£96spent, £354 left)

ajs
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM
i will watch this with interest as i know i spend too much

we had a bbq last night with about 45 people here so spent a fortune about £150 on food
but we have a fridge full today although not many veg as all of the salads got eaten

not sure what my monthly budget is but i hope not to spend more than another £250 maybe £300 this month

Pipsqueak
04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
My mission is to stop wasting so much fruit and veg :( Occasionally the kids will go through TONS of fruit and veg during the week and the next week they won't touch it:rolleyes:

My average weekly shop is approx £80. Aldi, Lidl, Netto, Iceland.what I try to do at least 1 week in 6 is NOT go shopping. This makes me use whats in the freezer. I just go and get any fresh bits I need - normally on a daily basis but I hve to be strict though and not buy lots of other stuff.

miss mopple
04-07-2010, 05:48 PM
we never waste fruit and veg as any leftovers go straight in the guineas and rabbits cages :laughing:

tinkerbelle
04-07-2010, 05:59 PM
oooh think ill try this im always looking at tightening the belt so to speak
ill aim at spending £450 im not doing my shop till tomorrow so im still on full budget :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
we never waste fruit and veg as any leftovers go straight in the guineas and rabbits cages :laughing:

Snap :thumbsup:

TheBTeam
04-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I will aim to spend £500, but that doesnt include takeaways!!!:panic:
Just off to doctor my online shop cos it will blow it otherwise!

Just done £112 on tesco online, which is good for me, away on hols at end of month thought so that wont help!

Rubybubbles
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM

yep we have little guniea compost bins too:laughing:

welcome aboard everyone

:clapping:

Rubybubbles
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
ajs £300
Pipsqueak along for the ride:)
Tinkerbell £450 (£0 spent, £450 left)
TheBTeam £500 (£112 spent, £388 left)

PixiePetal
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
ajs £300
Pipsqueak along for the ride:)

Put me as £500 please - will be a miracle but better have a goal and then can try and better it next month :o

Rubybubbles
04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
ajs £300
Pipsqueak along for the ride
Pixie Petal £500 (£120 spent, £380 left )

all done Pixie:thumbsup: I will be over the moon if I stay at my budget lol, as this includes all the mindies snacks and lunches too! But it does make you stop and think, do I really need the BOGOF on random things! I am also following Weight watchers, so trying not to get sucked in by oh look it's only 1 1/2 pt snack ect, and get ones I know everyone will have:D

carolinel
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
My budget £400 (family of 4 - don't buy for mindees)

Spent £15 at local fruit and veg shop
£73 Morrisons
£17 Morrisons again

total spenditure so far £105

Aiming to spend £100 a week on groceries so over budget by £5.

Must do better next week!

Zoomie
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Hiya, I am definitely in.

Used to do this on another thread but it got soooo busy.

Off the top of my head, I am going to say £450 for the month.

I'll come back later and update what we have spent for the month already.

:clapping: :clapping:

venus89
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Definately _ i've actually considerewd just not eating his month, then I figured I'd probably die and that wouldn't help...... I need to spend less than £400. My Tesco order is coming today and I managed to spend just £58.40 including delivery, which is a good £30 less than normal.

This week for dinner we'll have:
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Tuna pasta
Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans
Curry
Steak and chips
Chicken Pie
Sausage and Mash

moljak
05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Count me in please.I used to do this elswhere to and it was great for making me think.

I'd like to start with a budget of £350.Plan to reduce this over the months.I don't feed mindees so it's just me and my 2 kids.I do provide fruit as a snack 3 days per week though.

Will do a freezer and cupboard recki later and see what I can come up with.Would like to use what we have before buying.

Good luck everyone :)

miss mopple
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I've had a right old bake-a-thon this afternoon ready for the kids packed lunches and after school snacks, all from stuff I had in the cupboard :clapping:

Had some over ripe bananas that I would normally bin (the guineas dont like them :laughing: ) so I made banana and coconut muffins. Also made fruity oat cookies and a fruit bread loaf. Bet it will all taste extra yummy as I havent had to pay for the ingredients out my budget :thumbsup: :clapping:

PixiePetal
05-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I've had a right old bake-a-thon this afternoon ready for the kids packed lunches and after school snacks, all from stuff I had in the cupboard :clapping:

Had some over ripe bananas that I would normally bin (the guineas dont like them :laughing: ) so I made banana and coconut muffins. Also made fruity oat cookies and a fruit bread loaf. Bet it will all taste extra yummy as I havent had to pay for the ingredients out my budget :thumbsup: :clapping:

Well done :thumbsup: :clapping:

I will bake on Friday as I have the day off. Might need to get a few bits to add to store cupboard but, as I sorted it out the other week, at least I know what's in there and it's all in date :o

FussyElmo
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
My budget was £450 and have already spent £140 damm way over budget but it was ds's birthday so had to buy more treats.

Monday party tea
Tuesday sausage casserole
Wednesday pork chops
Thursday chicken curry
Friday chips and beans (:blush: sorry but we all love it)
Saturday homemade pizzas
Sunday sunday roast.

The only thing about home baking which I love it never lasts long I made 12 cupcakes and 12 cherry bakewells yesterday and there are only 3 left :)

snufflepuff
06-07-2010, 02:31 PM
This thread in really interesting! I have never added up what i spend so i sat and went through all my receipts for the last 4 months. Ours only comes to about £150 a month! There's probably a couple of reciepts that didn't get put in the folder if DP did the shopping. Plus that doesn't include takeaways or eating out which probably bumps it up to about £220-250.
Thats just food and drink though, i didnt include toiletries/ cleaning products or other bits and bobs.

miss mopple
10-07-2010, 11:57 AM
How are we doing in week 2 folks? I've just spent 112.19 for this week :blush: , but in my defence £20 of that was wine and some rib eye steak for DH's birthday today, and I had to buy some cleaning stuff and drain unblocker so not really too bad. Still well withing budget for the end of the month :thumbsup: Havent had to go to the shop at all this week :clapping:

Total spent so far: 161.48
Left £238.52

Our menu for the week is:

Sat: BBQ and salad
Sun: BBQ and salad
Mon: Salad and chicken and peppercorn sauce escalopes
Tues: Meatballs and pasta
Weds: Veggie stir fry with rice noodles
Thurs:Sweet and sour chicken
Friday: BBQ and salad (we do like a barby :laughing: )

PixiePetal
10-07-2010, 12:42 PM
About to do my Sainsburys online shop again.

Ended up spending another £75 this week - I was being so good then we ran out of cereals, bread, stuff to put in sandwiches ....... then when I went to shop there were good offers on cleaning/toiletries so stocked up :o

Oh well. I am here mainly to stop me wasting food and plan meals better, rather than save a lot of money - hopefully it will do a bit of both :thumbsup:

menu for week -

Sat -Pasta and sauce (DD out at sleepover, I am out for meal with friends and it's not on budget :blush: ) this will be DH and DS who will fend for themselves!
Sun - Chicken roast and veg
Mon - Spaghetti and meatballs
Tues - Mac cheese sausages and peas
Wed - Chicken kiev. chips,salad
Thurs - quiche and salad/baked beans
Fri - Chicken and mushroom with pesto and cheese sauce with pasta (my own version of Pizza Express meal! :o )

Got a fair bit in the freezer already so hopefully a better week to follow.

Sainsburys shop - £85 :thumbsup:

so that's me spent up and £225 left for the month.

Zoomie
11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Caught up on my accounts over the weekend, so I have calculated my grocery spend:

Total so far: £120.69 of £450.00

Sounds okay, but I did have a bigish shop on the last day of last month, so that doesn't count, but ever worse is that I have noticed that there are lots of other spends that we do (not necessarily supermarket) like flowers, match attack cards, magazines, and boy do these add up. :eek: :eek:

Think next month I need to have a budget for these extra's cos it seems that so much money is just flittered away. A few pounds here and there ADD up to loads !

Trouble
11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
i have found the perfect way not to spend any money at all:D

Stay in your pj and do paperwork all weekend:blush: :laughing: :laughing:

saved us a fortune !!!!!!!

Carpet Monkeys
11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh I'm liking the look of this - I'd like to think I don't spend much more than 300 for the month, so far this month I've spent

Week 1 - (don't have a pound sign) 55.37 shop at Asda for family of 3 including any cleaning products
Week 2 - 43.55 again at Asda for a family of 3, deducted new pj's I treated myself too :)

PixiePetal
11-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Caught up on my accounts over the weekend, so I have calculated my grocery spend:

Total so far: £120.69 of £450.00

Sounds okay, but I did have a bigish shop on the last day of last month, so that doesn't count, but ever worse is that I have noticed that there are lots of other spends that we do (not necessarily supermarket) like flowers, match attack cards, magazines, and boy do these add up. :eek: :eek:

Think next month I need to have a budget for these extra's cos it seems that so much money is just flittered away. A few pounds here and there ADD up to loads !

Mine is craft magazines for me - none so far this month :D Might have one at the end of the month if I can wait that long :o

maisiemog
12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm in!! My budget will be £450 I think!

will start it from today. About to go and do my online shop with asda. I tend to do this once a month, fill up the cupboards and freezer and then I only have to buy fresh stuff.

Will be a miracle if I manage to stick to that much though!!!

venus89
12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Lat week the Tesco order cost just shy of £60. I spent a futher £3 on milka nd at the weekend we went fruit picking - we got 2 punnets of cherries and one of gooseberries for £7 so that was £70 spent last week.

This week the Tesco order looks slightly more, I think it's roughly £70.

Tonight we're having Tacos.
Tuesday Spaghetti bolognaise
Wednesday home made curry
Thursday.... hmmm.... I'll think about it. Dd has school play in the evening so we're pushed for time.
Friday night stir fry

I am going to include the kids' clubs (£10 this week for karate) and I'm including cleaning products, cat food etc. Plus, each week I'm picking up two or three bits to take on holiday with us next month, things that are on special offer. So this week I've got the multipack cereals (£1 in Tesco), Taco shells (buy one get one free - one for this week, one for our holiday) and 4 cans of tinned tomatoes (half price) all included in my Tesco price.

So that's £150 of my budget spent so far......

ajs
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
it's the little bits that have got me too, so i am saying that i spent £100 last week on all those, probably less so i will dig out the receipts that i can find.

i have £200 to spend to stay on budget which i think i should manage as we have a freezer full at the moment

miss mopple
12-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Ok so my tesco order has just arrived and I have accidentally ordered way more root ginger than I need for my stirfry :laughing:

Any ideas what I can make with it as the thrifty me doesnt want to waste it :littleangel:

PixiePetal
13-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Ok so my tesco order has just arrived and I have accidentally ordered way more root ginger than I need for my stirfry :laughing:

Any ideas what I can make with it as the thrifty me doesnt want to waste it :littleangel:

grate it and freeze it?

PixiePetal
13-07-2010, 02:28 PM
OH NO!!

forgot the milkman deliveries. Will add the monthly amount when I get the bill :(

tashaleee
13-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I really need to join you all on this as desparately need to get a grip on our budgeting..... Am stalling myself on finding the receipts from last weeks shopping - was doing so well until we decided to invite people round for a bbq at the weekend and bought alcohol and far too much other stuff we didnt 'need'

Will be setting our budget at £300 for July and will total what we have spent later :blush:

FussyElmo
13-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Week one was £140.

Ok so far since then I have spent about £25 on bits and pieces to tide us over heaven knows on what. Spent £74 in Asda yesterday so week 2 another £100 so £210 left :thumbsup:

marian
17-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Just found this thread and soooooooooo need to cut down on our shopping bill:rolleyes:

I tend to do an online shop once a week and still have to 'top up' milk and bread.

I make things from 'scratch' so it is not a case of wasting money on ready meals etc

But.... my boys are 11 - 18 years and so It is 5 adults almost plus the mindees:panic:

Will try to keep to £100 a week ( but not going to count birthday parties )

I think if I change my shopping habits - ie get off my computer and go to aldi and lidil as well that will help

Marian x

PixiePetal
17-07-2010, 09:02 AM
sainsburys shopping done for tues delivery £113 :)

so that leaves me £112 - not hopeful as thare is the milk bill to add and we need bread before tues so need a quick run to tesco in a min and some fresh bits in the week.:rolleyes:

It will give me a total for next month to aim lower than and at least I know what I have spent :o :o

hope everyone else is doing better

this week we are having lasagne, quiche, pesto pasta and mac cheese - i felt too ill and full of cold to cook them this week so have carried some over!

Rubybubbles
17-07-2010, 09:44 AM
glad your all still keeping an eye:D

I have just been to Tesco and spend £97, and spent £48 last Sunday

going well:thumbsup:

errmm will update everyone soon :rolleyes:

miss mopple
17-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Just spent £90 for this weekend and next week so that brings it down to about £148 left. Pretty sure thats do able with a week to go :thumbsup:

miss mopple
25-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Been to Sainsburys today and spent £102- but only 80 of the was food as I bought some school uniform bits for the girls. Spent about £15 in the week, so I have come in under budget this month :clapping:

How about the rest of you?

Next month will be bad as we are away for 2 weeks and thats always more expensive, so I'll aim for £500 I think

PixiePetal
25-07-2010, 11:30 AM
OK so I have well blown my budget - DH went to buy a few top up things and bought double of everything!

I did Iceland and Waitrose - included wine and cider - well it is the holidays :blush: so have failed miserably

Oh well here's to August :blush: :blush: :)

tashaleee
25-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Budget for July was £300 - have totalled receipts and they came to £290 so just under (unless I include the one takeaway then we will be over :blush: ). Have worked out we bought quite a few bits we shouldnt have for extra bbqs and stuff and only went shopping over 3 weeks not 4 so hopefully can stick to it for August......

Carpet Monkeys
25-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh I'm liking the look of this - I'd like to think I don't spend much more than 300 for the month, so far this month I've spent

Week 1 - (don't have a pound sign) 55.37 shop at Asda for family of 3 including any cleaning products
Week 2 - 43.55 again at Asda for a family of 3, deducted new pj's I treated myself too :)

OK so I've done another weeks shop and a few bits here and there and it's come to 70 quid this week

but have however, spent 420 quid on 3 flights, a hire for 9 days and car park at heathrow ... glad that doesn't count!!

Zoomie
31-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Budget was £450.00

Total spend £ 498.93 :eek: :eek:

Does include a number of new clothes etc, but if it is bought from a supermarket it counts.

Will try for the £450 again next month. I am on hols for a week, but self catering, so will be included in figures

Who gonna start the new thread ?

PixiePetal
31-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Budget was blown this month. Have just done internet shop for next week - lots of mindees to feed and teenagers at home as well as DH and myself who are in for lunch everyday as well as dinner.

Will try for £550 for August