PDA

View Full Version : Have 2 gorgeous dogs- is this a 'no no' for childminding?

Baileys'n'cream
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please be gentle :laughing:
I have finally acted on my desire to be a childminder, literally only on friday.
I have been invited to a meeting on 22nd July, and I'm really excited about it:)

One thing that has put me off for so long has been the fact that I have 2 dogs. They are a huge part of our family, a yellow lab and a black lab, both girlies, I could write about them both for ages but I won't bore you :blush:

I have had a nosey through your forum, which is so fantastic btw, although I didn't realise how much being a childminder entails, you have opened my eyes. I was so so pleased to find some of you with dogs, so it must be 'do-able' ;)

But, I have 2, and I am concerned that this may affect my hopes in becoming a childminder?

They are both excellent around my 2 children, who are 6 & 4, and I have had my yellow lab since my son was just over 1 year, so they are used to being around children. Although, I would never leave any child who as in my care unsupervised with my dogs at any time.
I am considering building a play-pen area outside for my dogs, and also using my utility area as an inside area for my dogs, gated off. Just wondering if anyone else does anything similar? My dogs are used to being behind baby gates and used to the noise that children make ;)

Thank you already for everything I have learnt from your forum, it seems daunting at the moment but so exciting :)

tulip0803
03-07-2010, 09:05 PM
As long as you show the inspector that you can keep the children safe you should be fine. My friend has 2 dogs & has no probs.

I have one. You have to ensure that they are wormed, flea treated & vaccinated regularly & I keep a log of dates. Having a seperate area outside is a great idea & if you can seperate them that's fine. My dog wanders the house although he mainly stays upstairs away from the children. You also have to say how you will stop children playing in the dog's food & water bowls so putting them behind a gate should do the trick.

I have had parents choose me because of my pets, so they can be an assett.

Good luck

Stillgoingstrong
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so please be gentle :laughing:
I have finally acted on my desire to be a childminder, literally only on friday.
I have been invited to a meeting on 22nd July, and I'm really excited about it:)

One thing that has put me off for so long has been the fact that I have 2 dogs. They are a huge part of our family, a yellow lab and a black lab, both girlies, I could write about them both for ages but I won't bore you :blush:

I have had a nosey through your forum, which is so fantastic btw, although I didn't realise how much being a childminder entails, you have opened my eyes. I was so so pleased to find some of you with dogs, so it must be 'do-able' ;)

But, I have 2, and I am concerned that this may affect my hopes in becoming a childminder?

They are both excellent around my 2 children, who are 6 & 4, and I have had my yellow lab since my son was just over 1 year, so they are used to being around children. Although, I would never leave any child who as in my care unsupervised with my dogs at any time.
I am considering building a play-pen area outside for my dogs, and also using my utility area as an inside area for my dogs, gated off. Just wondering if anyone else does anything similar? My dogs are used to being behind baby gates and used to the noise that children make ;)

Thank you already for everything I have learnt from your forum, it seems daunting at the moment but so exciting :)

I have dogs, so do loads of other childminders so unless yours are american pitbulls (which they are not) don't worry it's fine. Obviously some parents are
anti dogs, but then most arent. If they dont like dogs tough, there are plenty that do so they can go elsewhere!! Pets are really good for children - teaches them how to respect animals etc etc. DW:clapping: :jump for joy:

Baileys'n'cream
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Thank you so much, it is exactly the advice I needed to hear

I will start to keep a record of the exact dates of worming/fleaing from now on, I also have 2 cats, luckily our house is a decent size;)

We are in the middle of extending our house at the moment too, another reason I have not enquired about childminding until now, and have had half of our garden dug up, so we can incorporate a run for the dogs in there I'm sure :)

Mollymop
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
You'll be fine with dogs hun. I am a dog owner myself. Have a look though the forum and see threads about dogs and see what others do/ or have been actioned to do,etc . I am sure you will be fine.

I have minded only just over 2 years but have had 14 different famililes over the years and all have been fine with my dog/dogs. Only one enquiry (in 2008) had a problem with me being a dog owner ......... but she seemed to have a problem with everything anyway, not just dogs:eek: :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
04-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I have a yellow lab, 2 cats and 7 rabbits...

They're kept clean and healthy and the children are taught to respect them. The dog has a crate in the living room, or can be gated out whichever is best for us/him at the time.

As with Mollymop, I've only ever had a problem with one family and, just like her, it wasn't just the dog that was a problem...

Pipsqueak
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I have two mutts as well and they are very much part of the family.

nearly 7 years of minding, two inspections and countless families - I can honestly say I have not experienced any negativity. I am upfront with parents from the start and if they don't want to proceed thats fine by me.
I have RA'd the hounds, they have their own separate area, the garden is clean, they are kept clean and well and the kids adore them!

little chickee
04-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I have 2 dogs - when i started minding i had 3 - and its never been a problem with parents or Care Commission - even though my cc officer is allergic to dogs!

In nearly 3 years of minding i have only had 1 set of parents who didnt use me because of the dogs and thats cos the dad was allergic.

As long as you are sensible about it it will be fine.

I also have a parrot and about 30 hens and ducks and have had parents use my servive specifically because i have animals.

Hebs
04-07-2010, 08:35 AM
my ofsted inspector loved my dogs and wanted to steal them :laughing: :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
It all depends on the type of dog you have. Labs are great and most parents think of them as good dogs for kids anyway.
If you had Rotties, pit bulls or even Staffies then some parents would not want to know,however well trained the dogs were.

I remember a few years back a woman in a local town had one of those Wolf hybrids, great big dog with long legs very wolf like, people cleared out of her way even though it was a tame dog, it did still have a muzzle on.

miss mopple
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
We have a 5 month old retriever cross and its taken a bit of thinking to get her to fit in around minding but its no problem now Im into a groove with her. I walk her at 6am before the children arrive then she is in the kitchen/garden or her crate in the lounge if we re using the kitchen ( I cant let her loose in the lounge as she'd eat everything at the minute :laughing: ) I have just ordered a run for her foor the garden so that she is seperated and the littlies are safe from her excitable nature and toileting :)

Im taking her out with the kids tomorrow to a nature reserve- they love it when she comes with us on trips out :D

Baileys'n'cream
04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you so much everyone :)

I am feeling more at ease about having pets & childminding

I was able to speak to one of the mums from school today, who has been childminding for a few years, and got some good tips & advice. She also has a dog :)

So excited about the 22nd July, my pre reg meeting, and receiving all the info from the council......I have sooooo much to learn though

heatherw
05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I have an irish setter and he growled at Mrs O when she did my pre-reg inspection!:blush: He is a big softie and ran straight to his bed afterwards! Even so, she didn't have a problem with him. I have a kennel outside for him to have his own space away from the kids if he needs it. Make sure you include them on your risk assessments. My risk assessment for the dog is bigger than for the rest of the house!

padpad83
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
i don't have any dogs but i do have a cat & 2 rabbits , when i had my pre-reg visit she just said to make sure the cats feeding bowl is out of the way after his meal times, she didn't say a word about my rabbits :)

oneofeach
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I've got 2 labs too (black boy and a choc girl pup).

They have an outside pen, makes poop patrol easier and gives them some peace. Children do have supervised contact with the dogs and we walk them together.

I am always up front with parents and nobody minds, if anything they like that I have dogs and rabbits.

Have a clear pet policy and you should have no problems :D

estrelas
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a puppy lab who at 15 weeks old likes to eat the children:panic: :laughing: , i just keep him seprate at the moment and let him in every now and again, always supervised.

I have been told when he's a bit bigger he'll stop eating us and move on to the couch, then he'll be alowed in more !!

CHUNKY MONKEY
05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
The rule is as long as they are not on the 'Dangerous Dogs Act' Ofsted have no say and if you feel they have discriminated against you because of having two dogs fight it and use their appeals process. Can't say I've heard of this happening though. I have two staffs that have been part of the family for 3 years and come into contact with my friends children and they are fine so I would definately fight it if I thought there was any discrimination because of the breed. I think you will be fine tho hun. Good luck :D

S-J
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I've just had my inspection for pre reg about 2 months ago. I have 2 young Tibetan Terriers and my ofsted inspector loved them. She actually told me of the best way to market them as part of my setting as she thought it was great for children to learn the responsibilities of keeping pets!

I thought at one point she might take them with her!!!

So really don't worry about it, as long as they are nice dogs (which i am sure they are) then you will be fine. I got myself all worried about it (typical pre reg nerves) and there was no need at all.

Good luck

Sarah-Jane

Baileys'n'cream
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you so much everyone :)

Vyx
11-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi

Just wanted to add to what the others have said :)

I have 2 big, bouncy, noisey dogs (Alsation and a "your guess is as good as mine") and I was terrified they would hinder my application as they are so noisey when someone first comes to the house! Both dogs are simply very vocal but to someone who doesnt know dogs it must sound quite frightening :eek:

Fortunately my Ofsted inspector at pre-reg had her own dog and knew what the noise was all for, she gave them a big fuss and they calmed down :)

The dogs were not a problem at all as I had thought through as many possible scenarios as I could :) we have a gated area in the utility room and another in the garden to allow safe segregation if needed (the dogs get excited when there is a lot going on, high energy play for example) and I had RAd for pretty much everything :) and have an extensive pet policy (I also have 3 parrots and 2 big fish tanks).

Just think everything through and show your inspector your plans for every dog related eventuality and you''l be fine :)

Vyx
xx

manjay
11-07-2010, 07:52 AM
My advice would be to be upfront with parents from the start. I am "one of those" parents who has had a horrendous experince with dogs and would not want my child to be cared for in an environment where a dog is around. My fear may be irrational but it is still very real to me. No matter how lovely the dogs were I certainly would not be able to settle to a days work without worrying.

I think that as long as you understand that there may be the odd parent who doesn't find it acceptable you will be fine. After all there are lots of different reasons why parents don't choose a particular childminder.

Good luck with your meeting