PDA

View Full Version : Probably a v. silly question re: Holiday time?

Beachbum
30-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi All
Something has been bugging me for ages, and its probably a really silly question so I've not posted it before but I need to know the answer!
As a CM, if I take time off as 'holiday' obviously I would not have any children for the week/fortnight, so does that mean you don't earn anything for that period at all? If that is the case then I won't be having much holiday a year at all! And likewise, should a child/ren be taken out of my care for holiday do I not earn anything? Or am I supposed to try and fill the vacancy??

Stupid question probably not its driving me mad :panic:
B x

Noodles
30-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Depends what you agree to in your contract.
My contract allows myself or parents to have 4 weeks holiday where the parents still pay half fees.
Some cms charge full fees for parents holidays and nothing for theirs it depends on what you want to do:)

bubbly
30-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I charge full fees for child holiday and 4 weeks half fee for my own holiday.

angeldelight
30-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Helllo

No question is silly so never be afraid to ask we are always ready to help here

I do not charge if I am on holiday or if I have time off
So no would not earn for that period

If a child is on holiday or off for whatever reason the parent still pays me

Hope that helps

Angel xx

Beachbum
Thank you so much, that makes sense and clears up something which has been bugging me for ages!:thumbsup:

berkschick
Its up to you!

Most childminders dont charge if they are on holiday as parents will need to find alternative childcare but when the child is off they still chatge full fee as they will be unable to fill the place for just a week or two.

Other childminders might charge half fee for both holidays.

angeldelight
30-03-2008, 08:01 PM
We are all happy to help and never feel silly for asking

Speak soon

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
30-03-2008, 08:59 PM
A friend of mine (in a different area) charges full fees for upto 4weeks holiday (her own) per year.

Its each to their own - your business your rules.
When you are drawing up your policy - make sure it says though to qualify as holiday (for parents/child) the child should be absent from the setting/attending the holiday (I am sure someone can word it better than me) as I have heard of instances where they parent takes the holiday and child goes to grans who brings the child to the setting and the parents expect to be charged "holiday fees".

You ask away Bee - thats why this forum is so good - no question too small or daft!

Rubybubbles
30-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I charge no fee for my hols or time off and 1/2 fee (if given 4 weeks notice) for their hols

Funny enough I had a phone call today from a parent looking for childcare and was asking about this and said out of 4 childminders I was the only one who didn't charge full fee for their hols, or bank hols ect! Shame for her I have no spaces eh:p

wendywu
30-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I charge no fee for my holiday and full fee for theirs. But most of my parents go away when i am off. So i only have 4 weeks with no pay, same as any other self employed person. Bank holidays are full even if they come in my holiday.:)

deeb66
31-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I like many of the others charge full fee if the child is off due to holidays or sickness.

I do not charge for my holidays/sickness.

It is entirely up to you and what you negotiate with the parents.

Pudding Girl
31-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I charge full fee for child holidays, sickness, odd days, and no fee for mine.

I am self employed, not employed and therefore not entitiled to paid time off as an employed person would get , it just doesn't work that way.

I feel the same re bank hols, Xmas etc..

Alibali
31-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I charge full fee for child holidays, sickness, odd days, and no fee for mine.

I am self employed, not employed and therefore not entitiled to paid time off as an employed person would get , it just doesn't work that way.

I feel the same re bank hols, Xmas etc..

I do this too, but as for your own holidays, work out how much you would need, and incorporate 'holiday pay' into your weekly fee. In my experience parents don't like paying when service not available but are happy with a slightly higher fee. You just need to be firm about saving this part of your fee for holidays.

Ali :)

miffy
31-03-2008, 08:57 PM
It's entirely up to you what you wish to charge

Just make sure that parents understand and it is all put in the contract

miffy xx