PDA

View Full Version : London

edayhouse
30-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Hello

Well i am visiting London next weekend - going for 2 nights with my sister and mum and was wondering if there are certain places that anyone would recommend visiting - we have been to London before and have done the following:
London Eye
Tower of London
Madame Tousauds
Imperial War Museum so dont really want to go and do these attractions again.

We have got the theatre booked for the Sat night which i cant wait for but was hoping to fill the day...just not sure what to do.. I had a look on the website for Tea at the Ritz but prob wont do that as it seems alot of money for some lunch.

Any ideas appreciated - quite fancy something like ghost tour or dungeons or something
thanks
x

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Tea at Fortum and Mason in Piccadilly is lovely and a lot cheaper than the Ritz. I would advise booking though if you like the look of it.

The V and A is good
Natural history Museum
Science Museum

All the above are a walk away from South Kensington Tube Station

Thr Royal Academy of Art has its summer Exhibition on at the moment and its opposite Fortnum and Mason

Tower Bridge you can walk right across the top of it

HMS Belfast on the river near the Tower.

A boat ride from Westminster Pier right by the tube station up to the Dome and Greenwich where you can go to the Maritime Museum and the Royal Obseratory or go on up on the boat to the Thames Barrier

Go in the opposite direction on the boat to Hampton Court

Kew Gardens

Kensington Gardens by the Surpentine and see the statue of Peter Pan

Playmate
30-06-2010, 09:03 AM
We go into london alot as we live in the suburbs, I personally would steer clear of the main attractions that cost huge amount of money. We love just stolling around Covent Garden (usually lots of muscians, mime artists etc performing), Hyde park, Kennisington Gardens etc. When the the weather is good its great just to soak up the atmoshere :D

I have lived on the outskirts of london most of my life, worked in central london for 5 years and have never been to Madume Tussards, London Eye or the Tower of London :laughing: just won't pay the money!:blush:

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 09:11 AM
We go into london alot as we live in the suburbs, I personally would steer clear of the main attractions that cost huge amount of money. We love just stolling around Covent Garden (usually lots of muscians, mime artists etc performing), Hyde park, Kennisington Gardens etc. When the the weather is good its great just to soak up the atmoshere :D

I have lived on the outskirts of london most of my life, worked in central london for 5 years and have never been to Madume Tussards, London Eye or the Tower of London :laughing: just won't pay the money!:blush:

What a shame. I have lived just outside London, Harrow for 24yrs and we moved to SW Hertfordshire 6 years ago but are near the Met and Chiltern Lines so still go into London often.

When my children were little we used to do one thing each summer and we found that becoming a Friend or buying a season ticket worked well. We were so close we could go to a place several times in the holidays and you nevr take it all in with one visit. It worked out more economic and we did Hampton Court, Kew Gardens and Lego Land this way and The Dockyard in Potrsmouth.

Now I take the Mindees and put the Entrance Fees on my Expenses. :thumbsup:

RedDragon
30-06-2010, 09:24 AM
What a shame. I have lived just outside London, Harrow for 24yrs and we moved to SW Hertfordshire 6 years ago but are near the Met and Chiltern Lines so still go into London often.

When my children were little we used to do one thing each summer and we found that becoming a Friend or buying a season ticket worked well. We were so close we could go to a place several times in the holidays and you nevr take it all in with one visit. It worked out more economic and we did Hampton Court, Kew Gardens and Lego Land this way and The Dockyard in Potrsmouth.

Now I take the Mindees and put the Entrance Fees on my Expenses. :thumbsup:

My friend lives in Beaconsfield - is that near you? Was there last weekend.

edayhouse, do you want me to look for some money off vouchers? - you can print them off and it ill save you a bit.

edayhouse
30-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Money off vouchers would be brilliant - thank you so much
Lots of ideas - going to call my sister tonight and discuss
cant wait now, is it warm in london just now?
x

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 12:58 PM
My friend lives in Beaconsfield - is that near you? Was there last weekend.

edayhouse, do you want me to look for some money off vouchers? - you can print them off and it ill save you a bit.

Not far, just up the A or M40, takes about 40mins. I take the mindees to Beaconscott Model Village.

We are on Rickmansworth/Chorleywood boarder 2mins from J18 of M25

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Money off vouchers would be brilliant - thank you so much
Lots of ideas - going to call my sister tonight and discuss
cant wait now, is it warm in london just now?
x

Cool with a breeze today but predicted to be 29 tomorrow with thunderstorms in the evening and 28-26 and sunny over the weekend. In town it will feel more hot and sticky so plenty of water and loose cool clothes would be good.

Sorry all the hot weather down here is my fault.!! We are having a large extension built on our house and I ordered good weather from mid April to the end of August. We have been so lucky so far. The roof is on now so I guess some rain wouldn't be such a disaster now.

The Juggler
30-06-2010, 01:32 PM
you can do a boatride from Westminster Pier either short up to Tower of London or the other way down through Kingston to Hampton Court (hour or two). Both are lovely buildings to look aroudn. The Tower you can look around the grounds without paying (or used to be able to) but you have to pay for Hampton Court. But if you like castles/towers they are worth the money.

The Globe Theatre is worth a look too. Have fun

WibbleWobble
30-06-2010, 04:56 PM
spitalfields market is lovely for shopping and there is a LEON cafe there. We were at DD1s finals exhibition nr there on Brick Lane (another interesting place) ...great curry houses.

mandy xxxx

OH drove down from here in crewe in the morning and then drove back after tea same day!!!! what a man!!