PDA

View Full Version : Risky play

joshie
27-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I want to allow my mindees to explore tyres, planks of wood etc, to teach them how to set their own challenges. would this be classed as 'risky play'? i have heard this mentioned a few times round and about and would appriciate some ideas? I have 4 very energetic children who all love to explore and experiment. :eek:

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 07:45 AM
erm, I think all outdoor play could be classed as 'risky'..... sounds a great play opportunity.... just provide a selection of open-ended equipment such as you mentioned then see what the children use it for. You can talk to them as they play, for example if they stack up several things and then go to stand on top and you know that it's going to fall down, then ask them before they do... "do you think that's secure...... how do you know..... how could you check that it stay steady for you to climb on?" asking those kinds of questions helps the children to think through wht they are doing and plan to keep themselves safe.... you are not saying "no don't climb on that". A risk assessment that details the level of supervision required and a permission form from parents for large scale play is a good idea too!

HTH, Jenni:)

wellybelly
27-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I think what you've provided or thought about providing for your energetic children is fantatsic - you've met their individual needs. As long as you risk assess you're covered. At the end of the day any resource whether made of plastic, foam, wood etc can be a hazard. If you're there supervising and you've though of all the risks, theres nothing to worry about. This is brilliant, maybe you should add this to your sef as it's a great example of following the childrens interests!

joshie
27-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys this input it just what i needed :D

jo f
27-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Our sure start centre has a little area outside which have smallish logs for the children to build etc with. Looks great!