PDA

View Full Version : What to ask parents/children during their first visit?

pinkbutterfly
26-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I've had my first enquiry and they are coming to see me tomorrow. The whole family (mum, dad and 3 kids) is coming and I'm already feeling overwhelmed (I'll be on my own with my 3 children). I have no idea what I should ask and show them really. I would mainly be looking after the 10 yo after school and 13&15 year olds in holidays as adhoc. It's so much easier (I imagine) to have younger children as you can just get toys out and engage in some play ... This is something I will not be able to do. I don't know what to ask. I'm worried. Any advice appreciated.

Stillgoingstrong
26-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Just relax and trust me, it's not easier with little ones! Have you got a wii or playstation or anything? Generally older kids will happily sit on that - make sure the game is age suitable!! I've found they just sit and either chat or ignore you at that age. There will prob be homework after school so you can discuss if they want you to supervise that (if you are happy to do it). Just ask what they like doing - have you got a garden for ball games, or a park nearby? would parents mind them going for short periods on their own? Can you maybe get someone to help with yours when they come for the first visit as you know yours are bound to play up - mine always did!! just don't stress and worry - they obviously like the sound of you and tbh how many others would be prepared to take that lot on??? you'll be fine - they are only humans after all:jump for joy: Oh, and all you can show them is the space that they will be using! If you haven't looked after older one's before or dont have your own ask them what they like doing, do they like reading, watching tv, listening to music and then you can plan what you will offer when they come. You obviously have a computer, would they be allowed to use it? :thumbsup:

pinkbutterfly
26-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks Kathleen for your answer. I was also thinkinking about games but I don't have Wii or anything like it. I do have a wardrobe full of board games though. I don't know if this is something kids like to do nowadays. I have been stressing out all day today. They are coming at 6pm tomorrow so my kids will definitely play up ... I'm not expecting anything different. Hope they are understanding ...

Stillgoingstrong
26-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Board games will be good - we still play them and our "kids" have every electonic gadget going but still enjoy them. I'm sure they will be understanding, after all you have 3 kids and so do they so they know what its like. It will be fine. :)