PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on extra hours and charging for them

bekki0405
25-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I had a lo start with me this month who is contracted for 07.30-16.30. Just before he started, at one of his settling in sessions, his mum said she was a bit concerned that her journey from my house to her work would take her longer than 30 minutes, and she had to get there by 8am, she may need to drop off at 7.20am. I said this was OK, and she agreed to pay the extra, although i'm not sure that she realised I would be charing her time plus a half, as my core hours are 7.30am-6pm.
Anyway, I'm just doing her second bill, I invoice in advance, so the first month was a basic month. THis month I'm going to need to add the extra on.
Would you add all the extra bits up, and charge that, or do you charge an extra half hour/hour each day? I hadn't really thought it through, and all my other parents have always stuck to their contracted hours so I've never come across this before.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received!:huh:

Zoomie
25-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Even if you didn't specfically tell parent how much more, I would stick with whatever is in your policy / detailed on contacts.

My policies state 1.5x for unsocial and I charge at half hour intervals.

So for me, that extra 10 minutes would mean an extra £3 per day. (My base rate is £4/h)

The Juggler
25-06-2010, 01:05 PM
if it were me, I'd charge min. half hour extra per day at your unsocial rate as stated on your contracts. Or if you were really kind round up to 1/4 hour per day.

bekki0405
25-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys, I have done just that, and charged 0.5 hours at time and a half. I think I might to have a chat, as she has contracted me from 7.30, but I have a feeling this will be the norm now. On Wed Dad turned up just past 7.10am. Mum did call and apologise, but if it's going to be a daily thing, I think I should suggest, or ask for the contract to be amended to 7am-16.30.
He goes to nursey on Thurs and Fri, and I know they charge £4 for 7.30-8am for breakfast club, and £39.50 per day, so I am lots cheaper, and more flexible than that!

The Juggler
25-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys, I have done just that, and charged 0.5 hours at time and a half. I think I might to have a chat, as she has contracted me from 7.30, but I have a feeling this will be the norm now. On Wed Dad turned up just past 7.10am. Mum did call and apologise, but if it's going to be a daily thing, I think I should suggest, or ask for the contract to be amended to 7am-16.30.
He goes to nursey on Thurs and Fri, and I know they charge £4 for 7.30-8am for breakfast club, and £39.50 per day, so I am lots cheaper, and more flexible than that!

sounds like a good plan. I wouldn't want to start at 7am though so make sure you are happy with that before you commit to it or tell them you'll try for a trial period:)