PDA

View Full Version : New here, not a registered CM yet

PinkFairy24
23-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi all!

I did start posting here months ago saying that I want to be a childminder. Since then I have been so busy, I got married, moved house and had a daughter Lucy :blush: She is now four months and I am seriously starting to come back and look at all my childminding paperwork as I want to start early next year!

I am just so lost though. I am a nurse (adult) and decided to do the diploma in home based childcare level one with the NEC as I was working full time. I passed this and did a paediatric first aid course. This was all ok I thought.

Now though I am looking through all the EYFS and am completely lost and feel like giving up already :( I don't think that the diploma was any use at all? I didn't do ANY of the planning etc or linking that is needed. I have no idea how to document anything or do observations? Wasn't I supposed to do this when I did the diploma? I did have a question describing a list of children I was going to childmind, but I didn't go into any detail on activities etc and link it to the EYFS? All it asked for was to write up a daily plan fitting in when the children were dropped off, describing meal and nap times and make sure that I put in some free play, or toy play etc. It didn't ask me to cover any of the areas that you get on the EYFS cards? I didn't know anything about this. Did I do this all wrong?? Wasn't my mentor supposed to be teaching me this? All the paperwork I had from NEC had nothing in it involving the EYFS. Looking at it is dated 2006, I am so sure that this isn't good enough :panic: Will I have to do this all again??? Did I do this course too early and I need to update it???

I was trying so hard to be organised, I made sure that I gave myself enough time to get the diploma before I was even pregnant and wanting to childmind. I just don't know what to do :(

I am stressed, stressed, stressed and crying:( :( :( so sorry

moljak
24-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Don't stress.EYFS is only part of childminding.You've done well to get yourself as far.
Book yourself on a childminder briefing session, listen to what's involved and take it from there.You should cover EYFS on the ICP (Introduction to childminding course) you need to attend before becoming a childminder.If you then feel you need more help there are some courses out there.

I panicked when i first registered as felt i knew nothing.Im slowly working through things and learnign lots.

hope things work out :)

miffy
24-06-2010, 11:20 AM
EYFS didn't become law until September 2008 so your course won't have covered it.

Don't panic there will be help available to you as you go through the registration process and ........................ you always have us to ask! :)

Miffy xx

LittleAcorns
24-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Awe a little Lucy, Congratulations, (that my daughters name too)

First off, and its easy for me to say, but try not to get too upset and overwhelmed, break everything down into easier steps, tackle one job at a time, then forget about that bit.....

We are all here for support and advice....so just shout :thumbsup:

mama2three
24-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi honey , my course never went into observations , planning , linking etc - it really just covers the very basics. Dont worry , it will all fit into place , and you really only need a very basic understanding of eyfs at first.
Congratulations on your busy year , marriage , moving house , and a new daughter....childminding will be a doddle!!

PinkFairy24
24-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Aww thank you all so much for your replies, I am feeling a lot better now! :)

I think that I need to look into doing a childminder briefing session and maybe an ICP course, thanks moljak. I did go to a meeting for people wanting to childmind but nothing was mentioned about the EYFS. I will get in touch with them and ask what courses I need to do.

I guess it isn't so bad. Yes I have done the diploma, but if I need to do something else to go through the EYFS at least I will know what I am doing!

Thanks again, love Claire X x X

P.S. Kisses from Lucy X x X Hehe

Mookins
25-06-2010, 07:43 AM
bless yo were so upset and now happy again
thats the fab part of this forum, everyone is here to help you if they can

i hope you get onto an iCP course soon hun, you sound very determined which is brilliant

big hugs and cuddles for baby Lucy
x x