PDA

View Full Version : Where did you find your mindees when you started out?

Schmamm
22-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Hiya, I was just wondering where people found their first mindees when they started childminding? I have been advertising on all websites that I find and also have filled out the forms for CFIS to be on their site and the directgov site, but not heard anything yet. Did anyone find there was anything in particular that found you some mindees?

Amber :)

caz3007
22-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I was extremely lucky. A CM I knew from Toddlers had an enquiry for two little boys and she didnt have the space. She passed the mums number on to me and they stayed for 3 years

Mouse
22-06-2010, 01:11 PM
My very first enquiries came through other minders. I got to know them through the childminding group, so when they got calls for work they couldn't do, they passed my name on.

I always think word of mouth is one of the best ways to get work. Have you got a cm group you could join, or do you have vacancy co-ordinator for your area?

aly
22-06-2010, 01:15 PM
under a bush!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

My friend who lives in the street was my first 'customer' then another cm in the street offered 2 of hers to me {little realising they were bu**ers} and now my other 2 are from being flexible whereas other cms wont do the hours etc

funemnx
22-06-2010, 01:32 PM
A card in a shop window - 10 years ago. These days Opportunity Links, Childcare.co.uk and word of mouth :thumbsup:

Ritaroo
22-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I only started last September but to start with it was word of mouth through knowing other Childminders who had enquiries but were full. These days I have had a lot of enquiries through Childcare.co.uk but I have been the one contacting the parents in my area initially. Good luck.

mamasheshe
22-06-2010, 04:56 PM
My very first enquiries came through other minders. I got to know them through the childminding group, so when they got calls for work they couldn't do, they passed my name on.

I always think word of mouth is one of the best ways to get work. Have you got a cm group you could join, or do you have vacancy co-ordinator for your area?

this is exactly how i got mine oh and net mums xx

22-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Go to every toddler group/activity you can, show off your best side! I run one now with an activity each week and that alone gives me enough business then word of mouth also starts up. Definitely meet up with other cms as I pass on enquiries to those that I know. I think most parents would rather choose someone they have seen in action or at least know even if only slightly from dropping off at the same nursery/school etc. So don't be shy, explain to everyone you meet that you are a childminder and how much you enjoy your job- and good luck, it will be easier once you have a couple on the books.

anni

miffy
22-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I registered to care for a friend's child and have never stopped since!

She was a supply teacher whose childminder gave notice because she wanted permanent full time work.

Miffy xx

maryp0ppins
22-06-2010, 07:37 PM
My first signed contracts were from another CM who was full & passed on my number so i took them on (twins)

Then 1 week after i was registered i had 3 families come & sign due to another CM a few doors down had stopped minding, so they came to me within my second week of CM.

I have had a lot of word of mouth too & defo from being up the school/playgroups/toddler groups...

clio0602
23-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I have found 3 mindees of childcare.co.uk and another from a mum I met at toddler grp x

WibbleWobble
23-06-2010, 05:00 PM
first one found me on google...parents had been led a merry dance by their childminder and they had had enough so decided to google chidminder in crewe...and guess who came up first.
Second ones (brother and sister) found me on childcare.co.uk
All 4 of my schoolies are a job lot from a childminder who gave up.
I have one more schoolie starting september who i have been doing emergency care via school
and today the reception teacher asked me if i would be able to take another new schoolie in september...i think this will be one schoolie too far!!!

this is on top of many many phone calls a week i get too.

mandy xxxx

Monkey26
23-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I registered as the family i nannied for (after-school/in the holidays) couldn't afford to pay me the wages i was on when they had their 4th child (big age difference, perfect lil mistake they called him hehe) and needed me to be registered so they could claim tax credits!!! Then i guess people saw me out and about with the baby and it went from there mainly by word of mouth and we have something called disc here in devon which is like the direct.gov search site! :) xx