PDA

View Full Version : Becoming self employed ad off Income support

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi all

Hope I have posted this in the right place!! Apologies if not...I am currently registering as a childminder and coming off Income support, however I am concerned as to how I will manage inbetween registering and getting my first mindee....does anyone know how this works, if there is any help I am entitled to. If anyone can help or has been through something similar I would love your advice.

Many thanks

Jackie xx

welshcake
21-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Same here, i am doing a self employment course and i had to sign to say once i am self employed i will not claim any benefits. ?

how does that work then ?

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Same here, i am doing a self employment course and i had to sign to say once i am self employed i will not claim any benefits. ?

how does that work then ?

I have read somewhere a while back that we can sign onto job seekers allowance but can not find that anywhere now!! If I don't get any joy on here then I guess I will have to go to the job centre and find out or cab, its just not always practicle with a toddler in tow!

onceinabluemoon
21-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Your benefits advisor should have told you that you can claim IS until you are working. Once you are working over a certain amount of hours or earning a certain amount it stops though. They can also help you claim tax credits. You should also be able to get help with rent and council tax.

Talk to your back to work advisor to get al the nitty gritty. x

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Your benefits advisor should have told you that you can claim IS until you are working. Once you are working over a certain amount of hours or earning a certain amount it stops though. They can also help you claim tax credits. You should also be able to get help with rent and council tax.

Talk to your back to work advisor to get al the nitty gritty. x

Thanks, I haven't spoken to anyone from the job centre yet, not always an easy task with a toddler in tow lol, guess I am going to have to put my "big girls head" on and get on with it, thanks for the info

Jackie x

Annie_T
21-06-2010, 12:11 PM
hey

ok here we go this is how it is done (how was done with me)

you register as a childminder and stay on income support. once you have signed a mindee (if over 16 hours or what ever it is)
you then report back to imcome support and they take you off of it.
you may be entitled to a one off payment from them due to starting work, plus £40 per week for year as a top up then you are entitled to working & child tax credit.

So you DO NOT sign off income support til you actually know what you are starting work (date first mindee starts - it had be over 16 hours for me, otherwise i just got a cut in income support)

hope that helps

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 12:19 PM
hey

ok here we go this is how it is done (how was done with me)

you register as a childminder and stay on income support. once you have signed a mindee (if over 16 hours or what ever it is)
you then report back to imcome support and they take you off of it.
you may be entitled to a one off payment from them due to starting work, plus £40 per week for year as a top up then you are entitled to working & child tax credit.

So you DO NOT sign off income support til you actually know what you are starting work (date first mindee starts - it had be over 16 hours for me, otherwise i just got a cut in income support)

hope that helps

Thanks so much! I will look into that extra payment too as every penny helps with a new business...I am so gutted as I got rid of everything from when I last minded! Oh well we learn from our mistakes :) Many thanks for your help

Jackie

welshcake
21-06-2010, 06:35 PM
i got rid of everything too and now i am struggling to get my £180 ncma together...

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 06:40 PM
i got rid of everything too and now i am struggling to get my £180 ncma together...

£180 NCMA?? What's that for? Have I missed something or maybe its what we get in our start up grant here? Didn't realise it was different in different places?

welshcake
21-06-2010, 06:45 PM
What start up grant ?

I dont know anything about that at all.

I have been trying to get everything myself.

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 06:49 PM
What start up grant ?

I dont know anything about that at all.

I have been trying to get everything myself.

We get a childminding start up grant for our area, maybe put it into google and put your area, see what it comes up with, or ring your childminding support officer they can tell you, I think different regions must do it differently tbh. All i know is that we get ours towards costs of courses etc sorry i can't help more.

snufflepuff
21-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Not every area had the start up grant- we dont get a penny here!

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Not every area had the start up grant- we dont get a penny here!

Sorry I didn't realise I thought it was a nationwide thing :/

clio0602
21-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I was on income support until I got my first mindee of 25hrs a wk. I also got a housing ben run on for 4 wks and a back to work grant of £250 (I think) I still get housing ben at the mo as they disregard 2thirds of my income and I'm below the threshold or something. Don't really understand it but the advisors at jobcentre v helpful HTH

Tribe_mummy
21-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I was on income support until I got my first mindee of 25hrs a wk. I also got a housing ben run on for 4 wks and a back to work grant of £250 (I think) I still get housing ben at the mo as they disregard 2thirds of my income and I'm below the threshold or something. Don't really understand it but the advisors at jobcentre v helpful HTH

I think I will give them a ring in the morning and book an appointment to see my advisor, I heard about the back to work grant but didn't realise I could get it as I was self emloyed, Great help thank you!

Goatgirl
21-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi :),
I got all the above financial help when i came off Income support. Not the helpful jobcentre advisers though: I got good advice from a free legal service, so when both benefits were refused I appealed and got them paid :D.
I also claimed jobseekers allowance whilst registered self employed. Being self employed isn't the thing: its being self employed, working 16 hours and earning money :).

Good luck,
Wendy

Good luck

welshcake
21-06-2010, 08:20 PM
see the thing is i get child tax credit and incapacity benefit which to be honest just about cover bringing my 3 up.

I have 3 little ones so will only be able to look after 1 under 3 and 2 over 5 so my income thru child minding is going to be low.

The adviser told me i loose the lot once i register self employed so i said "whats the point me trying to work if i am worse off" :panic:

i think i need a new adviser. x

Goatgirl
21-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Welshcake :),
I'm a self employed childminder, single mum of an 18 yr old in full time education and get full housing benefit plus tax credits and child tax credits, so even before my actual earnings I am better off (slightly) than when on only benefits.
I agree: you need a better advisor. Is there a free legal advice service in your area? My benefits office tried to get away with not paying me what I was entitled to and if I hadn't already been for this advice I wouldn't even have known!

Good luck with getting it all sorted :)

clio0602
21-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi I have 2 LO's on my own I stil get child tax credits and working tax credits housing and council tax ben I'm slightly better off with just 1 mindee 25hrs a wk and with the 2 full timers starting nxt wk I'l be paying off some of those debts that have mounted up :clapping:

hannahemilie
21-06-2010, 08:40 PM
wow, you need a new advisor, not very helpful were they! i am on income support and wont come off it till i get my first child or children at 16 hours a week or more. I need the magical 16 hours to claim working tax credit!

its nice to see others who have come off IS to childmind. does anyone know how do they work out your housing benefit etc?

welshcake
21-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Not only do i need a new adviser i think i need to move :laughing:

Tribe_mummy
22-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi :),
I got all the above financial help when i came off Income support. Not the helpful jobcentre advisers though: I got good advice from a free legal service, so when both benefits were refused I appealed and got them paid :D.
I also claimed jobseekers allowance whilst registered self employed. Being self employed isn't the thing: its being self employed, working 16 hours and earning money :).

Good luck,
Wendy

Good luck

Maybe a visit to the CAB would be the better option then, and get legal advice from them so I know where I stand when I go to the job centre. It will probably all blooming change with this new government anyway by the time I register knowing my luck!

moljak
22-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I had a fab lone parent adviser who helped me sign off ( when i started 16 hrs per week with mindee).I got £250 back to work grant.4 weeks rent and council tax run on.I get £40 per week in work credit for 52 weeks.I don't count this in my household budget as don't want to rely on it and then panic when it disappears.I've used it to buy equipment ect.
I receive child tax and working tax credit, full rent and council tax benefit.I am therefore better of working :)

Unfortunately my mindee just given notice which has me in a panic but I've got lots of posters out and I'm telling everyone I'm available.Not sure what happens when i loose mindee.Would I have to sign on? something for me to find out.

good luck with things :)

Tribe_mummy
22-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I had a fab lone parent adviser who helped me sign off ( when i started 16 hrs per week with mindee).I got £250 back to work grant.4 weeks rent and council tax run on.I get £40 per week in work credit for 52 weeks.I don't count this in my household budget as don't want to rely on it and then panic when it disappears.I've used it to buy equipment ect.
I receive child tax and working tax credit, full rent and council tax benefit.I am therefore better of working :)

Unfortunately my mindee just given notice which has me in a panic but I've got lots of posters out and I'm telling everyone I'm available.Not sure what happens when i loose mindee.Would I have to sign on? something for me to find out.

good luck with things :)

Thanks I have made an appointment and seems as though I will be better off, but to be honest it will be nice to just know that I am going to be able to provide my children with things that I have worked hard to get :)

There is also a benefits entitlement calculator onlone where you can calculate "what if" as in what if this happens etc and that has helped me understand a little more.

Thanks all for your help :)

Tribe_mummy
22-06-2010, 01:35 PM
oops *online* lol