PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do our plans/obs have to link to?

judisteve
20-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm new to this (should receive my certificate in the next few weeks- CRBs arrived last week!!)
Been thinking about my planning (my first mindee is due to start in September - age 6 months) I realise that for a 6 month old planning will be limited but want to try and get it all clear before I start.

Quite happy doing spider diagrams with a theme in the middle then activity ideas to cover each of the six areas of learning. This then needs breaking down into weekly/monthly plan according to child's developmental stage and interests - as per the obs? Do you mark on the plan which obs it links to and on the obs which plan it links back to?
Do we then need to be linking our planned activities to the EYFS principles (A unique child, positive relationships, enabling environment and learning a development)? If so, how do we do this? Also, where does the development matters, Look, listen, note, effective practice and planning and resourcing categories fit into our planning and obs?

How much planning should be done for the first week - of are observations more important then to get to know child's ability, likes etc. to then plan from there?

Maybe I'm trying to be too complex and have missed something very obvious?

Any help, advice, suggestions - even links to examples would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Judi

sarah707
20-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm new to this (should receive my certificate in the next few weeks- CRBs arrived last week!!)
Been thinking about my planning (my first mindee is due to start in September - age 6 months) I realise that for a 6 month old planning will be limited but want to try and get it all clear before I start.

Well done for getting the first mindee signed up! :thumbsup:

Quite happy doing spider diagrams with a theme in the middle then activity ideas to cover each of the six areas of learning.

Not for 6 month olds!!

Only for over 3s... when they are ready for more 'formal' type learning.

Under 3s need to play and you follow their interests and resource things they will enjoy.

This then needs breaking down into weekly/monthly plan according to child's developmental stage and interests - as per the obs?

For over 3s, yes you should keep an eye on the Eyfs as you plan... weekly really as their interests and needs change so frequently.

Do you mark on the plan which obs it links to and on the obs which plan it links back to?

Yes you need to find some way of showing progression...

Do we then need to be linking our planned activities to the EYFS principles (A unique child, positive relationships, enabling environment and learning a development)? If so, how do we do this?

You can if you wish... it is good to have a working knowledge of the themes and commitments.

I have what are called 'Continuous provision plans' which link common activities to the principles.

You can research them if you like - there are quite a few examples on TES

Also, where does the development matters, Look, listen, note, effective practice and planning and resourcing categories fit into our planning and obs?

These are your observations... leading to assessment... leading to planning... leading to more obs

How much planning should be done for the first week - of are observations more important then to get to know child's ability, likes etc. to then plan from there?

Obs for the first few weeks.

Get to know the child, what makes him tick, what parents say, his routine etc.

Resource his play and have some fun... make your obs and you can plan from them.

Maybe I'm trying to be too complex and have missed something very obvious?

You're doing just fine! Remember that the age of the child will lead you... and the child's interests will tell you what to do next

Any help, advice, suggestions - even links to examples would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Judi

Hope that helps :D

judisteve
20-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you so much Sarah - really helpful!

So, I don't really need to do a huge amount in preparation for my 6th month old in September then - other than get to know his routine etc. from parents? I'm a bit of a one for planning in advance which is why I'm thinking about it now.

I'm feeling more and more that weekly planning is better than monthly with some theme ideas for older children? Obviously allowing flexibility to fit in with what their current interest are? Even a blank weekly plan almost being added to each day for the next day:) ?

I'm sure once I'm up and running and doing it regularly it will all become clearer - I'm hoping it will anyway!!

Thanks again
Judi

SaijaM
21-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Do you mark on the plan which obs it links to and on the obs which plan it links back to?

Yes you need to find some way of showing progression...

Is there any easy way to (that you can think of, I can't think right now!) link the progression back to planning (even if this was couple of weeks ago.. hmm?)
My mind has gone blank! I'm doing obs on my daughter, as I'm not registered yet.. however I can see progression on her Profile book obs due to previous planning etc.. but how do I refer back to these without making the book too messy??

Thanks xx
Saija

sarah707
21-06-2010, 06:03 PM
You could use dates... print out the child's learning journey and date when they have achieved.

So long as you link each date back to something written or a photo or a comment from parents etc, then you are not using it as a tick list so it's ok with Ofsted.

You will build up over the weeks a clear indication of progression as the dates move forward.

I tend to use months rather than weeks... so the child did xx during April, moved on to yy or stagnated during May etc.

doing it this way shows you what areas might need a quick focus activity to support as well.

Hth :D

SaijaM
21-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Makes sense, thanks Sarah! :)

.. I can't get my head around how you manage to reply to so many of us here... you are so helpful!! But can't understand how you do it ... heeeh :)

Thanks xx
Saija