PDA

View Full Version : New to childminding

MrP
16-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi all, just found this forum (very usefull) I have been planning for a while to become a childminder. The only thing I find is that being a 30 year old male when I mention to people that I want to be a child minder I get funny looks and comments like 'you can't be a childminder
your a man!'

What I want to know is do you know many male childminders or is it always going to be a female domminated area?

Ta,

Simon

mama2three
16-06-2010, 01:31 PM
hello and welcome!

Im sure it will always be a rather female dominated profession - but there are some amazing male minders out there , and a couple come on here too. Im sure they'll be along to introduce themselves . Good Luck x

Pipsqueak
16-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Several other blokes on here who are minders and assistants.
peoples reactions to saying about being a minder- well faff to them - they just don't get it! Childminding whether you are male or female is often viewed as not a proper job!!!

Welcome to the forum Simon - you got us now and we will support you all the way:thumbsup:

Bushpig
16-06-2010, 01:40 PM
hello and welcome!

Im sure it will always be a rather female dominated profession - but there are some amazing male minders out there , and a couple come on here too. Im sure they'll be along to introduce themselves . Good Luck x

Ditto! Certain professions are just like that... but please do not let this put you off. Male childminders are as good as female.. and I would think this could only stand in your favour :thumbsup:

marzi
16-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I think it's a shame if people feel that way. Would they say the same if you wanted to be a teacher or a nurse? These are still female dominated professions too.

TheBTeam
16-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Hello and welcome, my husband is a male childminder, he doesnt do forums, but there are some male childminders on here, one of whom works as a lone childminder, not half of a couple!

Go with it it is very rewarding.

nannysue
16-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello Simon and Welcome :)

Playmate
16-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi and welcome My hubby is Registered and works full time with me, I'm sure he will be along later to say hello, if I give him ago on the computer :blush:

mamasheshe
16-06-2010, 06:52 PM
hello welcome :)

solly
16-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi Simon welcome to the forum:)

Emz
17-06-2010, 05:08 PM
welcome simon, i think its great more men want to be childminders.... so good luck hun x

Mrs Pootle
18-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi, just wanted to say that although it probably is a female dominated role there were 5 males on my course. All were very dedicated and I think will make great minders. Good luck with getting started.:)

minder to be
18-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Hiya, me and my partner are going to our first initial 2 hour meeting on monday night! cant wait and want to be minding NOW but know we will both have to have patience!!!

MrP
20-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Can you tell me if there's a checklist of sorts on how you all got qualified/started up? I just wanna make sure that I've not missed anything.

Thanks

Si.

padpad83
20-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi simon & welcome to the forum! :) i think it's great a man wants to be a childminder! i keep trying to convince my hubby, i'm half way there anyway! :laughing:

SaijaM
21-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Can you tell me if there's a checklist of sorts on how you all got qualified/started up? I just wanna make sure that I've not missed anything.

Thanks

Si.

Hi and welcome! This forum is truly great and has helped me loads so far :) I have saved a checklist from this forum at some point, hope it attaches correctly. Hope it helps you too :)
Saija

MrP
21-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info SaijaM, unfortunately the forum won't let me open it.
Ta

Si.

Annie_T
21-06-2010, 12:18 PM
welcoem

there are a fair few male childminders out there hun need not worry

believe it or not but i know of one near me and he has a waiting list !! parents want a male role model in their childs life not just a female roll model

good luck
x

sarah707
21-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info SaijaM, unfortunately the forum won't let me open it.
Ta

Si.

Hi! The forum won't let you open the attachment because you are a new member.

it is one of the safeguards built into the forum to protect members' work.

When you have been around a little longer and posted a little more you will be allowed to open attachments.

Please see your welcome message from Pauline for more details.

I hope you are enjoying the forum :D

MrP
21-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Doh! Yeah I did read that but I'm a bit stoopid lol :blush:

Pauline
21-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Simon, the document that Saija is sharing is from the free downloads where you can access it directly. Kindly created and shared by our Sarah. :thumbsup:

If you go to the top of the forum and click 'Free Resources' then click the 'free downloads' tab, it is in there :thumbsup: