PDA

View Full Version : Help! observing and planning for a 8 mth old!!

Ruthlf
11-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi

Ive just got my first mindee who is 8th old! I am really stuck on how to observe and plan for them, to do their next steps!

Any ideas would be more than grateful!!

Ruth

harrysgirl
11-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi! - me too! I have just had my first 8 month old start with me & this is a completely new experience for me with regards to EYFS as all others I have are over 2.
I have just concentrated on getting know little one over the past couple of sessions and making little notes of observations - no real written 'planning' like I do with the older ones yet. I have discussed and observed child's interests & I just try extending opportunites through daily activities/free play, for example, observed likes pressing buttons - put out more suitable toys with different buttons to press! and providing different experiences to observe reactions - outing to park; put little one on swing, etc... Will continue to do this for about a month until little one has settled in more & will show/discuss observations with parents to ensure I have a good picture of their child and then will move on to creating their Learning Journey file with this starting point.
Hope that helps, although Im sure someone else will be along with some great advice which I will also be interested in to check Im on the right track too!

Waveawand
11-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Hiya - I recently had a 9mth old mindee (sadly no longer with me) but I quizzed another CM whom had outstanding from mrs o and she said that she follows developmental stages as you cant do much else under one and that a very detailed routine satisfied mrs O. They progress very quickly so just logging major acievements eg efforts at reaching things out of reach - starting to lean forward - supporting their weight on their feet with assistance is all you need . Re planning you cant do the same as for older kids but what you are already doing ie noting that they like buttons so finding more for them to press is the next steps anyway and therefore your planning albeit retrospectively I have a sheet I was going to use that I posted on here somewhere but will put on again if its any help. But basically once you reread your daily diaries you will be able to highlight the progression which is what mrs O wants proof about. Hope Ive made sense Ill find that doc now :laughing: