PDA

View Full Version : is this the same as the DHC??

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 08:53 PM
As the title asks lol, i want to do a homebased course and this is the cheapest one i've found. Has anyone heard of this company or done this course before?

http://www.uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/Details.asp?ProductID=76

cheers me dears for your help

xxxx

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure but I don't think it is.

The DHC is Cache based.

Tily Bud
27-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont think it is either x

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:07 PM
do we have to do the cache course? i know we have to do the icp but i really like the look of this course and it's the cheapest i've seen :)

xxx

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Is it a Level 3 qualification - if it isn't then its pointless doing it as by 2010 we have to have an L3 qualification (DHC is Level 3)

The set up on this course looks very similar to the DHC

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 09:11 PM
ahhh if you read at the bottom its can lead onto an L3 qualification - this isn't a L3 and for the amount of work you'd do on this to go onto further study to get the L3 you might as well do the DHC (do you still follow me>)

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:12 PM
This course has been prepared to enable students to obtain the OCN (Open
College Network Level 3 Qualification) It also carries 9 Learning Credits
which can be used towards further learning.

The above is from the course details. Hmm i think i may apply for it

xxx

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It does look very detailed and pretty good, but this part is not the actual L3 qualification only credits towards (at least thats the way I read it). If you have to go on to study further to gain the L3 then, its just my personal opinion here, that its quicker and easier to do the DHC.

Of course your choice Minx and we/I would be fully supportive of you chickenpie..(in my best Granny Murray drawl):D

Blaze
27-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with Pip...with the amount of work involved, you might just as well do the DHC which is a level 3 qualification...if you wait till your registered you'll get it funded...I really wouldn't waste your time & money on this. You don't need to gain points to be able to do a level three...& by the time you get going it's going to be mostly out of date anyway!
Tasha:)

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:20 PM
oh i read it that it is a level 3 qualification :doh:

xxx

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:21 PM
This is what it says at the bottom of the course

Is this an NVQ?
No. NVQs have to be taken in the workplace but this qualification is equivalent to an NVQ Level 3, GNVQ Advanced or a full A Level in terms of the level of knowledge required. The credit value indicates the amount of learning time that the course broadly requires, in this case 100 hours.

xxx

ooooo i'm so confuzzled that i'm now not sure

Blaze
27-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Theresa...ever heard of learn direct?...They offer all manner of courses (which are their own)...these are all equivilent to level x, but are not as prestigious (for want of a better word)! This sounds the same. I really would wait & either do the DHC or a proper NVQ once registered.

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:33 PM
i think you're right tasha as i'm now really unsure of the course, it doesn't take much to confuse me lol. I'll enquire at newcastle college to see how much they charge for the dhc

xx

Blaze
27-03-2008, 09:35 PM
You can do the DHC home-based via the NEC or I am doing it via:

www.childcarestudy.co.uk

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I can't see the course on your link tasha, am i being a pilchard :D

xxx

Blaze
27-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Ooops...sorry!:blush:

http://www.childcarestudy.org.uk/

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 10:00 PM
oh my good god :eek: :eek: they are very expensive, i know newcastle u lyme college does a homestudy course so i think i'll enquire there

thanks for the link though

xxx

Blaze
27-03-2008, 10:03 PM
LOL! NEC are even more expensive! Don't forget you get it funded!!!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Why not go and see your development officer and see whats in the offing or if you can get any help towards obtaining your L3.
The way I see it - minders have to have this by 2010 - why should we ask for either funding help or for our local authorities to lay it on for us. Get lots of minders together and talk to the dev officer and/or your next network meeting

Minnie Minx
27-03-2008, 10:06 PM
LOL! NEC are even more expensive! Don't forget you get it funded!!!:laughing:

I'll phone my dev officer next week, i've got to let her know that i'm going to register anyway and i'll ask about funding

xxx

manjay
27-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I keep getting OCN credits every time I do training with the group I volunteer with. I have 7 now. Never really got round to checking out what they were iyswim!

I too would speak to a development officer and see about funding. Our start up package includes ICP and one other (2, 3, 4 or 5) they then wanted to charge me £250 a go for the other 3. that's why i have decide on NVQ3 as it is only £175 in our local college. Fortunately for me the Welsh Assembly have very kindly funded it for me

Hope you get some joy

amanda xx

nell57
28-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Theresa sorry dont know much about dhc, but I'm doing nvq and the course your looking into and its contents look almost identical to the nvq.

Sorry this not much help in making your decision, but just wanted to say good luck in your decision and I have loads of books you could borrow when you do start, so just give me a shout if I can help

Helen